Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Reasons a computer will post but motherboard has no video output

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Resilo

Resilo

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

So i have gone through the basic diagnostics and so far it seems that the motherboard video controller has failed

however im just wondering if anyone knows of a situation in which a ASUS A68HM - plus motherboard will boot the computer but will not put out video in which

the video controller on the motherboard has not failed.

I have removed the video card and replaced the RAM with a known working RAM module just in case.

the problem is not with the connection cord or the monitor. its well tested and working.

A little information for anyone curious

I am a novice computer technician.

my education is a diploma level in Network Systems Administration.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:17 PM

did you reset the CMOS settings back to factory?

could be something as simple as that.

#3 Resilo

Resilo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:22 PM

can't even get to the bios no video output at all

A little information for anyone curious

I am a novice computer technician.

my education is a diploma level in Network Systems Administration.

#4 jonuk76

jonuk76

• Members
  • 2,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:29 PM

The motherboard has no on board video controller as such.  It accepts CPU's which have an integrated GPU.  In short, if you have an AMD "APU" (A4-A10 series) then video can be provided by the motherboard.  But if you use one of the compatible CPU's with NO built in GPU (Athlon Xx FM2/FM2+ chips, such as Athlon X4 860K) then no on board video will be available and you will have to use a video card.

If you are using an APU and no video is available, it's possible it's been disabled in BIOS, which you might do when using an external video card.  In which case a BIOS reset should do the trick.

Beyond that, I'm not sure, but from looking at block diagrams, the video out part of these motherboards is fairly passive, with the exception being the VGA output where DA conversion is performed by the Fusion Controller Hub (FCH), which is a fancy name for the A68 chip set.  It would be possible for physical damage to the motherboard to stop the ports working.

7sbvuf-6.png

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 589 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

look at you manual section 1.6  "clear cmos rtc ram" this will return settings to default and hopefully let you boot with video.

#6 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,679 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:58 PM

When you can't get to the BIOS with normal starts, remove the CMOS battery (replace if over two years old) and allow 5 minutes with the power plug pulled before putting the CMOS battery back, plugging in and power up, holding what ever key your system uses (F4 - F8) to enter BIOS and look for video options.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users