Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is my new pc security enough?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:44 AM

Im using window 10, Firewall on, window defender off, BitDefender for real-time protection. I mainly use this pc for gaming. Im a pretty secure person, i wont click on those "sketchy link". Most of the time on internet, i only go to Youtube.

Antivirus, Malware: (I scan with all of these once a week)
-Bitdefender free edition
-Window Defender full scan.
-Eset online scan
-Malwarebyte AntiMalware
-Adwcleaner
-Rkill
-Sophos Virus removal tool
-Junkware removal
-Roguekiller

Chrome extension:
-Https everywhere
-Ublock origin

Internet password is super strong.

Is this suffice?? If i missed any important part, pls do tell me. :)

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:08:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:28 AM

dude that is way overkill, but fine,

i scan adwcleaner malwarebytes and avg about every 3 months....they rarely find anything,

#3 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 38 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:59 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:23 AM

i scan adwcleaner malwarebytes and avg about every 3 months....they rarely find anything,

Every 3 months? I was told to do it bi-weekly but a security consultant. He happens to be a friend of friend with whom I purchased my recent rig

#4 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:06 PM

Every 3 months? I was told to do it bi-weekly but a security consultant. He happens to be a friend of friend with whom I purchased my recent rig

i guess it depends on your usage,

if your visiting sketchy websites then scan more often,

but in any case, i still think every week is way overkill

there is still no need to scan with ESET, windows defender, and bitdefender....pick one and only one

you also dont need to be using any of these on a regular basis...

-Rkill
-Sophos Virus removal tool
-Junkware removal
-Roguekiller

maybe use JWR once a month....even that is overkill

Edited by mikey11, 10 July 2017 - 01:11 PM.

#5 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:51 AM

Alright i cut down the amount. Bitdefender, Sophos Anti virus removal, Malwarebyte and ADWcleaner. Hope these all is enough to keep my pc safe lol.

#6 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

Btw forum here said CCleaner isnt good. So whats the better application that can remove temporary file, internet history etc...like CCleaner but its better than CCleaner?

#7 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 05:11 AM

Bitdefender free is causing BSODs lately, if you have any then it is recommended to uninstall it (at least for now) and replace it with something else, if it's not causing BSODs then it is ok. Furthermore, it is unlikely that Eset online scanner, windows defender or sophos will find anything that bitdefender missed, so they are a bit overkill. Rkill and roguekiller are not neccessary unless you are sure that there is something inside your computer and you can't get it out by other means. What I'm trying to say is that malwarebytes anti-malware, adwcleaner and perhaps junkware removal are enough for 2nd opinion scans (unless you're sure that they missed something). About your chrome extensions - https everywhere will not help to secure your computer much because it forces https only on a few sites so there's no big difference. It is nice to have overkill security if it makes you feel better, although it is possible that these programs will conflict with each other. If you're not doing anything risky on the internet like pirating, searching on dark web and stuff like that then you're good to go with bitdefender, mbam, adwcleaner and junk removal. By the way, firewall is also very important and windows firewall is usually good enough.

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 11 July 2017 - 05:13 AM.

#8 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:11 AM

Bitdefender free is causing BSODs lately, if you have any then it is recommended to uninstall it (at least for now) and replace it with something else, if it's not causing BSODs then it is ok. Furthermore, it is unlikely that Eset online scanner, windows defender or sophos will find anything that bitdefender missed, so they are a bit overkill. Rkill and roguekiller are not neccessary unless you are sure that there is something inside your computer and you can't get it out by other means. What I'm trying to say is that malwarebytes anti-malware, adwcleaner and perhaps junkware removal are enough for 2nd opinion scans (unless you're sure that they missed something). About your chrome extensions - https everywhere will not help to secure your computer much because it forces https only on a few sites so there's no big difference. It is nice to have overkill security if it makes you feel better, although it is possible that these programs will conflict with each other. If you're not doing anything risky on the internet like pirating, searching on dark web and stuff like that then you're good to go with bitdefender, mbam, adwcleaner and junk removal. By the way, firewall is also very important and windows firewall is usually good enough.

I havent use bitdefender atm, that pc have no internet connection now, its using avast free. Is BSOD something really bad/serious? Like if my pc occurs BSOD, i need to format everything and reinstall OS and everything all again??

#9 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:30 AM

Btw forum here said CCleaner isnt good. So whats the better application that can remove temporary file, internet history etc...like CCleaner but its better than CCleaner?

not sure where you heard this....i think ccleaner is great, just dont use the registry cleaner part of it

#10 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

not sure where you heard this....i think ccleaner is great, just dont use the registry cleaner part of it
Yes they said ccleaner isnt good because of the registry thing on this forum. So what they mean is use the CLEANER only and not REGISTRY? I thought registry is combine with the cleaner??

#11 Daniel_Boringcliffe

Daniel_Boringcliffe

• Members
  • 85 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:46 AM

I havent use bitdefender atm, that pc have no internet connection now, its using avast free. Is BSOD something really bad/serious? Like if my pc occurs BSOD, i need to format everything and reinstall OS and everything all again??

No. At least usually not. If it would, for example, crash every 5 minutes without any apparent cause then yes, that would have been serious. 

Edited by Daniel_Boringcliffe, 11 July 2017 - 09:48 AM.

#12 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,007 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:05 PM

CCleaner is an excellent tool for cleaning up "garbage files" but it does have a Registry Cleaner feature, which one must invoke as a stand-alone option, that is no better than any of the other ones - which pretty much means it's useless.

I have used CCleaner for all its other functions for well over a decade now.  I stopped using its Registry Cleaner feature, or any other registry cleaner software, years ago because there is absolutely no evidence that they do anything of value when they "work" and plenty of evidence that they can hose your system badly when they don't.

It's not CCleaner as a whole that's problematic, only the Registry Cleaner feature, which you just don't use.  It's a hold-over from a long time ago that I wish they'd actually finally take out of the product, but I doubt they ever will.

P.S.:  The scanning protocol you're using is gross overkill unless you are someone who routinely visits sketchy parts of the internet and/or is inclined to click on any pop-up/link that suddenly presents itself out of nowhere.

You should read these two posts by one of our resident security experts, quietman7:

Security Basics  and  Best practices for safe computing

If you follow even half of what's discussed in those two writings the probability of getting any sort of infection is quite small and if you follow all of them it's incredibly close to zero.   Your own history with having infections is the best predictor of whether you will get more in the future unless your "cyberspace interaction habits" change.  Most infections don't sneak in, they get invited in by the user.

Edited by britechguy, 11 July 2017 - 12:10 PM.
Added P.S.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#13 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,509 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:51 PM

Yes they said ccleaner isnt good because of the registry thing on this forum. So what they mean is use the CLEANER only and not REGISTRY? I thought registry is combine with the cleaner??

you can use ccleaner without using the registry part of the program,

use it to remove temp files etc etc....just dont use the registry parts of the software

#14 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,756 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

I can also confirm that CCleaner is safe and useful for removing temporary, privacy related and junk files...but it is not recommended for using the built-in registry cleaning feature. CCleaner's registry feature is and requires a separate user action from the Cleaner so it cannot be used at the same time.

In the past, AV Comparatives said this about registry cleaning software.

Some "classic clean-up software" such as "Ccleaner" are classified as "Useless" in this database because the Windows registry does not need any maintenance except if you are victim of a malware infection and because tweaking the windows registery does not speed up a computer at all. It does not mean that Cleaner and similar tools are not good for sweeping your harddrive and help to keep your privacy. Registry cleaners have been become social engineering products (e.g. Iobit Advanced System Care, CCleaner, Wise Registry Cleaner, etc.) and paying for this particular function is just a waste of money

In fact, Bleeping Computer DOES NOT recommend the use of registry cleaners/optimizers for several reasons.

Why you should not use Registry Cleaners and Optimization Tools

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#15 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 52 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:16 PM

CCleaner is an excellent tool for cleaning up "garbage files" but it does have a Registry Cleaner feature, which one must invoke as a stand-alone option, that is no better than any of the other ones - which pretty much means it's useless.

I have used CCleaner for all its other functions for well over a decade now.  I stopped using its Registry Cleaner feature, or any other registry cleaner software, years ago because there is absolutely no evidence that they do anything of value when they "work" and plenty of evidence that they can hose your system badly when they don't.

It's not CCleaner as a whole that's problematic, only the Registry Cleaner feature, which you just don't use.  It's a hold-over from a long time ago that I wish they'd actually finally take out of the product, but I doubt they ever will.

P.S.:  The scanning protocol you're using is gross overkill unless you are someone who routinely visits sketchy parts of the internet and/or is inclined to click on any pop-up/link that suddenly presents itself out of nowhere.

You should read these two posts by one of our resident security experts, quietman7:

Security Basics  and  Best practices for safe computing

If you follow even half of what's discussed in those two writings the probability of getting any sort of infection is quite small and if you follow all of them it's incredibly close to zero.   Your own history with having infections is the best predictor of whether you will get more in the future unless your "cyberspace interaction habits" change.  Most infections don't sneak in, they get invited in by the user.

I see, i misunderstood the ccleaner part. That was quite a long read, i will bookmark it to remind me time to time. Most of the time on web browsing, i only go to youtube and steam. But there is one thing i wanted to ask. Since im using "https everywhere extension" on chrome, as far as i know, "https" websites are all safe to visit/use right? For example: https://www.onlinevideoconverter.com/mp3-converter I have been using this website on my old laptop for years, i havent use it on my new pc, is it safe to use? Are they anyway i can "virus scan" the website?

And thanks to quiteman7 for writing the super long posts for us. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users