Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can Windows Live Mail be installed and run in Windows 10?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 1,065 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

As the topic title.

Windows 10 comes with "Windows Mail", email client.  I took a look at it, and I believe i do not like it.  I had earlier a few times seen Windows Live Mail, email client on Windows Vista (but never used it); and I would like to maybe try Windows Live Mail on Windows 10, so it would need to be downloaded (as part of Windows Essentials) and then installed onto Windows 10.  Dumb question is, will this work?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,010 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:01 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

The answer to your question is "Yes and No" due to a number of factors.

Windows Live Mail 2012 will install and function perfectly well under Windows 10 and should work just fine for the foreseeable future for POP and IMAP access to e-mail, as these protocols have remained virtually unchanged "forever" now.  The only reason Microsoft stopped supporting it is because they didn't want to upgrade it to work with whatever their latest proprietary synchronization method is called.

One used to download from the Microsoft Windows Essentials Page, but shortly after the end of support date the download link was, unsurprisingly, removed.  Unless you have an official copy from just prior to the end of support you are not going to be able to get one from Microsoft.

I've got WLM 2012 on my Windows 10 system because I work with blind and visually-impaired individuals and this particular e-mail client was, and remains, popular because it "plays well" with accessibility software, so I can definitely state that it works.  I just fired it up the other day to do some work with it and the NVDA screen reader.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#3 mom23kidz

mom23kidz

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 03 May 2018 - 05:44 PM

Where can I download it from??

Thanks

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:13 PM

I thought I'd given the link to the Microsoft Windows Essentials 2012 standalone installer, but it appears I didn't.  The preceding link is to my Google Drive and that installer was downloaded just a few days before it was pulled.  It has been scanned for viruses and used by many people since I put it there, and without issue.  It is in ZIP format, so you have to unZIP it before you run the installer.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#5 mom23kidz

mom23kidz

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:19 PM

I don't know where you mean, sorry.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,010 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:21 PM

If you can't click on a supplied link to download the file you've asked about, and I promptly provided access to, I can't help further.

After you click, you get this, which should be self-explanatory:

googledocsdownload.jpg 

Edited by britechguy, 03 May 2018 - 06:28 PM.
Added screenshot.

#7 mom23kidz

mom23kidz

• Members
  • 99 posts
  •  

Posted 03 May 2018 - 06:59 PM

Thank you so very much. I truly appreciate the help. ;-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users