Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CHKDSK workaround ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 wuzzo

wuzzo

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

Hello

CHKDSK reports errors but I'm unable to find the route for a fix.

Message is that ' volume is in use . chkdsk cannot run '

Given the option of having chkdsk run at next boot-  nothing happens.  Windows simply boots without chkdsk running. 

I've tried a whole heap of chkdsk commands-   all with the same result.

Any advice appreciated.

Lend me your ears

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:11 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

Check Disk examines disks and can correct many types of common errors on FAT16, FAT32, and NTFS drives. One of the ways Check Disk locates errors is by comparing the vol¬ume bitmap with the disk sectors assigned to files in the file system. Check Disk can’t repair corrupted data within files that appear to be structurally intact, however. You can run Check Disk from the command line or through a graphical interface. 

Check the disk format then perform the chkdsk command 

For more help in this regard visit the microsoft help section https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee872425.aspx

#3 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:40 AM

chkdsk recognises the disk format, NTFS, and reports it-   but cannot run .  This PC has only the one HDD volume.

Clicking '; Y ' to schedule a check has no result.

Edited by wuzzo, 10 July 2017 - 06:43 AM.

Lend me your ears

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:11 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:54 AM

Running chkdsk on a file system that is severely corrupted can result in data loss. If you have important data on the computer then back it up if not done so already.

You can run chkdsk from an install disk of Windows 7. If you do not have an install disk then burn the iso of your version which you can download using this tool.

If you have a live linux distro boot disk you may be able to force a chkdsk. Because you only have one hard drive on the computer your drive will be listed as sda and the partitions as sdaX where X is a number. For Windows 7 you may have 3 partitions.

You can find your partitions in terminal by typing

lsblk

This all lower case and it is a "L" and not a 1.

Open a terminal  and type the following command.

ntfsfix /dev/sdaX 

Do this for each partition on the disk, i.e. sda1, sda2, sda3. Reboot into Windows which should force chkdsk to run.

#5 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:21 AM

Thank you for your useful information.

CHKDSK ran after I changed the boot sequence in the BIOS to CD first.  I have no idea why that would happen but I'm happy to accept this unexpected Windows offering.  CHKDSK reported ' Deleting corrupt attribute record ( 128," " ) '  , finished its check and I'm now exploring any changes to the machine's performance, if any.  

Regards

Lend me your ears

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:24 AM

Nice. Thanks for that handy bit of info. I will have to keep that in mind.

#7 wuzzo

wuzzo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:44 AM

You're very welcome.

All appears well-  although it was immediately evident that my cheap optical mouse was faulty.  Again, I have no idea as to the relationship between this fault and the machine's previous erratic performance.  However, everything is now runningly smoothly after chkdsk repair and  switching to a Logitech mouse

Thanks again.

I've bookmarked the ISO burning tool for future use.

Edited by wuzzo, 10 July 2017 - 07:44 AM.

Lend me your ears

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,294 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

You may be interested in this utility. Advanced Tokens Manager. It will copy your activation files allowing you to reactivate without calling Microsoft. Unzip the file to a folder on the desktop. Run the program and select Activation Backup. When completed the button changes to Activation Restore. Copy the unzipped folder on the desktop to a flash drive. Make a note of the key it finds. 

Clean install, copy the folder to the desktop and click on the Activation Restore button.

http://joshcellsoftwares.com/products/advancedtokensmanager/

I always recommend people do a complete disk image backup using software like Macrium Free or Aomei backupper standard if they have not done so. Both allow you to create bootable media to restore the image that was backed up to a USB external hard drive should the computer no longer boot because of file corruption or a bad hard drive. This lets you be back up in minutes vs hours on a clean install.

https://www.macrium.com/reflectfree

http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users