Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Which phone cable should i extend??

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:07 AM

My goal is trying to connect my modem to my pc which is in another room. I have a short ethernet cable. Im using a 8mbps internet.

Which phone cable should i extend so that my internet speed will remain the same and not slow down? 

First cable, the red one, 2 meters, its connected to my modem DSL https://m.imgur.com/a/34IN2 ignore the blue one, its connected to my home phone.

Second cable is this, 2 meters https://m.imgur.com/a/CrN54 and its connected to http://imgur.com/BY5ZLML after that it goes all the way into the wall.

I need to extend to 15-20 meters. So which should i extend so my internet will not slow down and remain the same?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:27 AM

Answer : Should not matter which cable you extend. Over short distances the signal speed will not vary. I use the stuff in my office. I prefer having the cable from modem to pc be increased as it will not disturb other locations. IYKWIM.

My personal opinion is : instead of making a mess with wires I better buy a wifi port for the computer. Something like : TP-Link TL-WN725N 150Mbps Wireless N Nano USB Adapter (Black)

Edited by Hareen, 10 July 2017 - 06:30 AM.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:04 PM

You extend the connection going to the internet modem not the telephone connection. I am going to assume the red port is telephone and the blue port is network. The network extension must terminate in a dsl modem

#4 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:18 PM

as it will not disturb other locations. IYKWIM.

May i ask what does this sentence mean?

#5 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:21 PM

You extend the connection going to the internet modem not the telephone connection. I am going to assume the red port is telephone and the blue port is network. The network extension must terminate in a dsl modem

No, the red port/cable is connected to the DSL on my modem. And the blue one is connected to my telephone.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:57 PM

Ok. It was a good guess :-)

So are you clear you need to extend the network cat3 line?

#7 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:50 PM

Im not gonna extend the cat3 cable. For now im gonna call my ISP to come my house and try both long Ethernet cable and the long RJ11 cable and see which one has a better internet speed.
Im here asking this question because sometimes those ISP will charge you more with the expensive cable instead of giving me a good cable for better connection speed.
Hope it goes well lol.

#8 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 04:49 AM

So the ISP came, they didnt extend either RJ11 cable or CAT5 cable. They extended the cable that is connected to the outside to my house. Its a brand new canle so i guess my internet speed is more stable than ever. :)

#9 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 10:40 PM

as it will not disturb other locations. IYKWIM.

May i ask what does this sentence mean?

IYKWIM means If You Know What I Mean.

What I meant was if you change the positions of modems and/or have lengthy wires it would make a bit of mess in your area.

Anyways glad you got a solution. 

How are the speeds now ??

#10 SkyVongolaPrimo

SkyVongolaPrimo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 48 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:09 AM

IYKWIM means If You Know What I Mean.

What I meant was if you change the positions of modems and/or have lengthy wires it would make a bit of mess in your area.

Anyways glad you got a solution. 

How are the speeds now ??

Nice that the lengthy wires connected to my room are all inside the ceiling. The speed is more stable now, maybe its because of the new wire.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users