Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

( software for desktop needed ) - hey i need to remind myself of important notes

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 computerbroken

computerbroken

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:59 AM

hey i need to remind myself of important notes & todos

the problem: there's too many things, and i forget

one possible solution is the important notes & todos would be visible at all times 

what possible solution or software would you best recommend? 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:25 AM

Use Mozilla Thunderbird for your email client and the Lighting calendar add-on.

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,873 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:41 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:17 AM

Microsoft OneNote, which I believe ships with Windows 10, is another option.   

The tricky part of what you want is the "Post-It"-type "keep it visible on my desktop" feature.   There are tons of calendar apps, I use Google Calendar constantly, that allow you to put in appointments (which need not be appointments as in I need to be somewhere, but can also be "tasks" as in "I need to do something") that you can set up reminders on to your hearts content.  I generally put multiple reminders on things like people's birthdays so I get a very early warning, a "you need to go buy the card in the next day or two" warning, and the "that card needs to be in the mail today or tomorrow" warning.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,846 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:33 AM

I use Sticky Notes on Windows 7. It's on 8 and 10. If you have many notes then a calendar would be the best option.

https://www.windowscentral.com/how-use-sticky-notes-app-windows-10-remind-you-all-things

#5 FreeBooter

FreeBooter

• Members
  • 3,137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

You have two free options at below links:

"ToDoList"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=961

"Date Reminder"
https://www.dost-tech.com/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=964

Posted Image

#6 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:02 PM

this doesn't show all notes & todos on the screen tho, i have too many

how would this help?

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:25 PM

this doesn't show all notes & todos on the screen tho, i have too many

how would this help?

Then, perhaps, showing them all would not help at all.   Having been in the cognitive rehabilitation arena for six years I definitely found that having "too much/too many" was just as bad, or worse, than having "too few/none at all" as far as written reminders in view.   They become background noise that you largely have to ignore.

It's far better to use a system that cues you far enough ahead that you can act, and perhaps again to ensure that you act to finalize whatever it is, than to have a wall of notes.  That's why calendar applications that do this or To Do List applications that do this are so popular.  None of these keeps things in constant view because it does not tend to serve any functional purpose.  All allow you to review what's coming up and, if you need to, what's already passed.

There is definitely something to be said for removing visual clutter.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#8 computerbroken

computerbroken
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 64 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

i need to be reminded constantly and when needed, like when im making something in the kitchen or every single context

have possible solutions for that problem?

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Your best bet would not be a computer, but a smartphone.

Between a standard calendar app for your "long term scheduled" appointments and timer apps for things that are "I need to check that in 10 minutes" type items you're pretty well covered, and it can be carried with you virtually anywhere.  You also don't need to have actual phone service to use all of these things and what you're looking for is available on any Android powered smartphone I'm aware of.

If you need constant reminders, anywhere that they're not socially forbidden, then a portable option makes much more sense than a computer (whether laptop, desktop, or tablet).

~ Mark Twain

#10 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:35 PM

Any of Amazon's Alexa products?  If you need to actually see things - the Echo Show.  All of the products allow you to add items to your lists verbally.  You can also add items via the web or the Alexa app (Android and Apple).

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,873 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Kilroy,

I really like the Alexa products and Google Home, too, but don't all of those require an internet connection in order to function?   A friend of mine has two Echos, one full sized and the other a dot, but I don't think we've ever experienced an internet outage when a notification was supposed to occur.  Also, neither is particularly portable in the "carry with me" sense.

~ Mark Twain

#12 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,483 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:41 AM

Posted 12 July 2017 - 12:03 PM

All of the Alexa products require an Internet connection.  Only the Echo Tap is portable.  Technically you could connect it to a hot spot.  I own the original Echo, Tap, Show, and my Dot from Prime Day is coming today.

You can access the Alexa lists from inside the Alexa app or on the Internet (actual Alexa ownership required).  So, provided you have a device with Internet access you can access your lists.

There are also IFTTT recipes that will e-mail you your lists or put them in Drop Box.  I'm pretty sure you could also use many of the other popular cloud storage places.

Edited by Kilroy, 12 July 2017 - 12:05 PM.

#13 softeyes

softeyes

• Members
  • 1,626 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:41 AM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 11:32 PM

Hi @computerbroken

Windows 10 has a wonderful Alarms & Clock program built into the operating system. 

*You can find it in all programs or by typing the name in the search bar. 
*The options that I find you might enjoy are the alarm and timer features. 
*You are able to create as many items as you wish for the alarm or timer. When either option has reached the time you have set, you will see a notification on the lower right side of your desktop, above the clock. The notification will remain
until you click dismiss. If your computer speakers are on, you can set what "sound" you would like to hear along with the
notification.
*You will also find a World Clock and a Stopwatch tab within the program/window.
*Enjoy clicking around and discovering what the options can do for you!
*Please find below a screenshot of what the Alarms & Clock window looks like:

computerbrokenalarm.png

This screen shot shows how to find the program:
bcalarmstimer.jpg

Hopefully this built-in program will help with your needs.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users