Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dual band modem or other way to hook two DSL lines together for increased speed

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Larry1947

Larry1947

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:02 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:22 PM

I am on Verizon, the only Internet provider that can provide a wired Internet connection to me. I pay for 3 down, but they only guarantee 1.5 and sometimes it is about that speed. I heard you can get a second DSL line put in and connect them together for speeds around 6. I need advice and help on what to buy and how to hook it up. I am somewhat of a techie, but just not familiar with this kind of issue. ANY help would be appreciated. The connections provided to me by Verizon will be phone jacks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:02 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:41 PM

Ask about DSL bonding.

#3 Larry1947

Larry1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:23 PM

Would this be thru sales or tech support or??? Also do you have any idea of costs? Does it require more than one phone line (DSL)? Who pays for the equipment? Sorry for so many questions, but when I googled the term it didn't address these items. It is Sunday midnight here and I can call the phone company tomorrow for additional help. 

#4 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:09 PM

call the phone company

That's your answer :-)

#5 Larry1947

Larry1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:24 PM

I got the second DSL line installed today. Any suggestions on the name brand modem to purchase? Verizon does not appear to have a "suggested vendor" list.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

Eh? Clearly you don't have a bonded dsl link. They do that. You only need a regular router. If you have two dsl lines you need a dual wan port router. Google for the best specs/prices

#7 Larry1947

Larry1947
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 12:08 AM

Verizon told me I had bonded DSL, but they installed a second phone line (number) and a modem/router. This second line has DSL on it. See the note below from Verizon.

HI there,

From what I can find out the Bonded dsl is exactly what we are trying to do for you .. the 2 DSL connections into a special modem/router ..

Sorry for the delay.

Thanks

Dee

Comments?

#8 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Bonded dsl is done at the isp level. In your case you are doing the bonding by putting in a dual wan port router. Are they not providing that equipment?

You have a whole list to chose from if doing it privately
https://www.google.com/#q=dual+wan+wireless+router&spf=1499959237694

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users