Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mouse movement causes lag

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 bncrock

bncrock

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:27 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

So my PC recently has been acting strangely. My newest problem that I haven't been able to fix on my own is that whenever I move my mouse, my PC lags as a whole. When watching a video, the video stutters (but the audio is fine). When loading a webpage, moving the mouse causes it to freeze then appear after I've stopped. When moving across the icons, the highlight lags and doesn't appear unless I've stopped moving or slowed down. The biggest problem is when playing games using my mouse, the game chugs and stutters. I've confirmed that this is not a problem with the monitor because my FPS meter shows that actual frames are dropped when moving the mouse (it dips into the 20's and 10's just by looking around). However, just moving with WASD a and turning and such causes no lag.

I've tried all the basics and then some. I switched USB ports for my mouse, tried a new mouse, restarted my computer, turned it off and unplugged it for a bit, updated my USB drivers, updated my mouse firmware, updated my graphics card driver, updated my BIOS, ran a defrag (I ran the defrag for a different issue but it didn't help regardless). I don't know, it's strange.

I should note that the problem started after installing AI Suite 3 from the Asus website (since I lost the disk). The program, however, had tons of errors, crashed a lot, generally didn't work, and used a lot of my CPU when it wasn't even running, so I uninstalled it. Shortly after, my C drive was running 100% of the time and everything on my PC slowed down. I ran the defrag I stated above and that fixed it, but then I noticed the issue with the mouse, and have been trying to fix it for 3 days.

My specs are:

Intel i7 6700k

ROG 1070 Strix (driver version 384.76)

Asus Maximus VIII Hero (BIOS version 3401)

16gb DDR4 Ballistix

Windows 10 w/ latest updates

Generic 1tb Seagate HDD for C:

Logitech Proteus G502 Gaming Mouse

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:31 PM

Something else I should have included, I also have this issue in safe mode, so I'm not sure what's the matter.

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:51 PM

Please follow the instructions for doing a Clean Boot, and see if the problem persists...

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

#4 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:08 PM

Well, now the problem is worse. I can't log in. The windows screen will pop up and I'll get to the part with the time and background but when I press anything, it zooms in as to allow me to log in but there's no icon or box to log in or anything. Just the power button and Ease of access stuff in the bottom right. I can't boot into safe mode either. I hold shift and restart and nothing happens. I'm gonna try to interrupt my boot 2 times and see if I can get into automatic repair.

#5 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:12 PM

I'm on my desktop in safe mode, now what?

#6 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:37 PM

Ok, In safe mode + clean boot, I still have the problem. However I have now noticed that the taskbar and start menu is not affected buy the mouse and runs normally.

I decided to test two easy to run games, and the games held a solid 60fps when they used to dip when I moved the mouse around (Broforce and OFDP). I think it may have something to do with my graphics card, since games use integrated graphics on safe mode (I think). It's strange that the dektop still lags even though the games run fine, but the video is coming from my card so maybe that's why?

#7 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:40 PM

Sorry, not integrated graphics, but "Microsoft Basic Render Driver", which is when my card driver isn't installed (which makes sense because of safe mode).

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:16 AM

Pretty good clue regarding your card driver.

I would start by going to the vendor site and downloading and installing the latest drivers.

#9 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:57 AM

Latest drivers didn't help, but rolling back seemed to reduce the stutter (though it is still there).

When testing games, I've started to notice some of my games aren't running as well as they used too overall. I think I'm going to try removing the card from my PC to see if it is the card so we can rule out everything else.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:01 AM

You might see if your card is on the WHQL list for Windows 10.

https://sysdev.microsoft.com/en-us/hardware/lpl/

Which Build Number of Windows 10 are you using?

#11 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:55 AM

Build 14393.1358, version 1607.

The 1070 is on the list. I'd imagine it would be, as Nvidia is a big name company for computer video cards.The card has worked just fine before, no hiccups. It's only recently.

And it may not even be the card. I tried running my computer without the card, using my Intel integrated graphics with my 6700k chipset, and the problem persists. However, it only stutters now on the desktop and in Windows programs, and after putting the card back in, games run fine, but the dektop and Windows explorer has horrendous lag, now not even registering clicks all the time.

I'm very lost as to what the cause is now. Could it be my hard drive? Or another part of my PC?

I should note, and I failed to include this, that while stuff like Chrome stuttered horribly when moving my mouse, it was only on the screen that the mouse was on (I have a dual display set up, one with HDMI and another with DVI). i.e. If I moved the mouse around the video, it lagged, but if I moved it around on the other screen, it played fine. I don't know how that would contribute.

#12 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:57 AM

I've heard people have problems with 1607, is this a potential catalyst?

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:16 AM

I've heard people have problems with 1607, is this a potential catalyst?

I would recommend upgrading to 1703 (Creators Update).

See this article on using the Media Creation Tool and Rufus to create bootable installation media.

https://www.thurrott.com/windows/windows-10/5162/windows-10-tip-create-windows-10-setup-media-the-right-way

Edited by jwoods301, 10 July 2017 - 02:16 AM.

#14 bncrock

bncrock
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:28 AM

Aight, I'll try that and get back to you.

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:48 AM

Aight, I'll try that and get back to you.

I would do a disk image backup of your system before upgrading, just in case something goes sideways.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users