Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to reboot after "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart" message

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 dducic

dducic

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:29 PM

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and looking forward to some great responses to my conundrum...

I have a an HP Envy 700-230 desktop running on Windows 8.1 (tried Windows 10 about a year ago but switched it back after 2 weeks). Yesterday, I was running my system the way I always do and received the infamous "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We're just collecting some error info, and then we'll restart for you." message. After about 30 minutes of nothing happening, I hard stopped with the power button, tried to turn it back on, and had a black screen. No reboot screen, no safe mode screen, nothing. I downloaded the Media Creation Tool from Microsoft onto a USB, plugged it in, tried to restart, but again just got a black screen.

Power supply is working, and all fans (video card, CPU, case) are running. There have been no hardware upgrades for a couple of years and I haven't changed any of the peripherals for at least a year. I also know that the monitor and monitor cable is working because I have a KVM switch and the other computer that's connected to the switch is working perfectly (I've had the KVM switch connected for at least a year).

I tried to troubleshoot my hard drive so I turned off my system, disconnected my hard drive, connected it to a SATA/IDE to USB adapter, and plugged it into another computer. I got the standard "USB connect" sound when I plugged it into the other computer, and it was spinning, so I'm pretty sure I don't have a mechanical failure. I replugged the hard drive into the desktop, disconnected all peripheral devices except the keyboard and mouse, tried it one more time, but still got nothing but a black screen.

I'm not sure what to do because I'm getting no response from the system. I could use some good advice right now...

Thanks very much,

David

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

Try booting into Advanced Startup options and select Automatic Repair...

https://www.howtogeek.com/131916/how-to-use-the-advanced-startup-options-to-fix-your-windows-8-computer/

#3 dducic

dducic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:43 PM

Thanks jwoods, but the problem is that I can't get the computer to reboot so I can't get to any startup options. I get a black screen when I press the power button.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Boot from the installation media.

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:11 PM

If you do not have the install disk you can create a DVD or USB flash drive of Windows 8.1 using the Media Creation Tool run on a Windows 7 or later computer.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows8

Sometimes you can force the recovery options if you see a spinning circle at boot.

• Hold the Power Button for 5 seconds or until the computer completely shuts off.
  • Press the Power Button to turn the computer on.
  • As soon as you see the rotating loading circle, press and hold the Power Button until the computer shuts off.
  • Repeat this process 2 or 3 times until you see the Preparing Automatic Repair screen.
  • Let the computer boot to the Automatic Repair screen.
  • Click Advanced Options, and then select Troubleshoot.

#6 dducic

dducic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

Thank you JohnC - I'll try the Media Creation tool again, this time on a DVD (tried with a flash drive last time).

The other option of forcing a recovery isn't currently an option because I don't even get the spinning circle... upon startup, the screen is dead black and stays black.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:44 PM

Do you get a HP boot logo? 

#8 dducic

dducic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:48 PM

no, nothing - totally black screen.

#9 dducic

dducic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

and I just tried the Media Creation tool on DVD - again, just a black screen. No boot logo, no safe mode options, nothing.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:51 PM

Not good, especially if you do not get a HP boot logo.

Try powercycling the computer. Pull the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and reboot.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:55 PM

Not good, especially if you do not get a HP boot logo. Even if there was no hard drive installed you should still see the HP logo.

Try powercycling the computer. Pull the power. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power and reboot.

I would also remove the KVM switch and connect the mouse/keyboard directly.

If powercycling does nothing. Remove all but one stick of RAM. Ground yourself on some bare metal of the case before doing this. If still nothing then switch slots with the one stick and boot after the RAM is installed in each slot. Swap out the stick with another and do the same procedure. 

Edit: Do you get a menu when tapping Esc at boot?

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2017 - 04:59 PM.

#12 dducic

dducic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:11 PM

No joy, JohnC. I tried powercycling and got nothing. I also tried the RAM trick but nada (when I only had one RAM stick in the system, or if I tried to put a RAM stick in another RAM port, the system almost immediately shut down and tried to restart, following by an almost- instant power-down, and they cycle continued until I hard-stopped).

Does this sound like a hardware issue with the PC, or does it sound like a hard drive issue?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,033 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:23 PM

Did  you see my edited post? Did you get anything by tapping Esc at boot. Checking my HP with UEFI, the default is to have the logo disabled at boot. If you get nothing by tapping Esc at boot then I would have to surmise it's some type of hardware issue. I am not sure how old the computer is but look for bulging and leaking capacitors. If you have a multimeter you can check the PSU.

Edit: I don't think it's a hard drive issue because the same problem occurs when trying to boot from a CD/DVD. You can pull the drive and attach it to another computer for testing with Seatools for Windows. A USB adapter similar to this one can do the job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Edited by JohnC_21, 09 July 2017 - 05:27 PM.

#14 dducic

dducic
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:49 PM

Well that would be a good thing if the hard drive was ok - it seems to be spinning up so I'm hopeful. After pulling the hard drive and trying to start up, got the same black screen. Looks like I may be out of luck on the hardware side of things, but it's probably time to get a new one anyway.

If you have any other ideas, I'm all ears. Thank you very much for your help with this - much appreciated!

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:29 AM

Just to confirm, you used a boot manager or the BIOS to change the boot order from the hard drive to the removable device...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users