Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problem with Monitor/Keyboard (Drivers?) in Win 10

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Humle9

Humle9

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:12 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:37 PM

Hello,

I've had a working computer for a while with a Windows 10 installation. One day while gaming the display stopped working, and I had to shutdown the computer. I know it wasn't totally frozen, as I was on voicechat with a friend.

Ever since I have been able to boot my computer, but once windows has 'loaded' and is about to prompt me for password my display looses connection again (Likewise my keyboard, and I can't tell if the same applies to my mouse).

When I reinstall windows 10 I'm able to get to the desktop the first time after the installation, but after 5-7 minutes it will revert back to no connection for display/keyboard/(mouse). Also, the display isn't detected correctly as it only uses 80% of the actual screen regardless of resolution (I think it can't detect that it's a widescreen).

Everything works just fine in safe mode, but so far I haven't found a way to fix the problem. I tried installing up-to-date drivers for my graphics card, and tried 'uninstalling' the various devices in Device Manager.

The specs:

Intel Core i5 760 @ 2.8 Ghz

12 GB RAM

GeForce GTX 570

Gigabyte P55-USB3 Motherboard

Windows 10 Home x64

I appreciate any help, as I've been struggling with this issue for a while now.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:12 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:41 PM

This sound like a driver issue.  If the video works in Safe Mode but not in normal mode this is a strong indication of a driver issue.  In Safe Mode the NVIDIA drivers used in normal mode are replaced with Windows 10 drivers.  This would explain why the video was working in Safe Mode.  Have you tried replacing the video drivers?

Download the driver, uninstall the current driver, then install the new driver.  You will want to download these from the GeForce website.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Humle9

Humle9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:52 PM

I tried a number of things relating to the drivers. 

I tried uninstalling the GFX and letting Windows install its drivers

I tried installing Nvidia drivers - It didn't work. I tried again today and I wasn't able to install it. I got an error through numerous attempts and 2 different versions. 

Even if this was the issue, it doesn't seem to explain why my keyboard stops working as well simultaneously?

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:58 PM

What is the make and model of you PSU.

You are not very clear in your description of what exactly is happening.  Is it just that the screen freezes, but you can still use your keyboard.

When you tried to install the new drivers did you uninstall the old NVIDIA drivers first?

Is this computer functional at all?  Can you download and install applications?

Edited by dc3, 09 July 2017 - 02:59 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Humle9

Humle9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

My PSU is a Corsair TX650W. I've had no previous trouble with it.

My computer is functional in general. The problem only surfaces when I boot Windows 10 in none-Safe Mode. Everything is fine and the Windows-logo loading screen is fine, but once it's about to take me to the Windows-Login screen it happens.

What happens: The screen looses connection to the computer. It doesn't freeze - it simply goes in 'sleep' mode and says there is no cable connection etc. I can hear the computer still working like it would normally do, leading me to believe that the computer itself isn't actually frozen.

At the same time that my screen looses connection my keyboard 'freezes'. It will lock itself with all LEDs lit or none depending on the timing. I'm NOT able to light any of the LEDs by pressing Caps Lock etc., which leads me to believe that it's unfunctional at this point. I tried logging into windows blindly several times, but have not been able to so far. (With the keyboard unfunctional it's obviously hard).

I have no way of telling if my mouse in functional at this point.

As I said in my initial post there's a weird interaction after I reinstall Windows 10. When it takes me to the desktop initially everything actually works despite not being in safe mode. However, after about 5-7 minutes the screen flicks to 'sleep' mode and everything descriped above occurs.

Yes I tried uninstalling drivers beforehand.

My computer doesn't appear to have any problems beyond this one rather large problem.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,811 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:51 AM

Let's see if we can find the Service which is causing this by doing a Clean Boot.  Please read through the instruction at least once before doing this so you are familiar with the process.

How to perform a Clean Boot.

Warning:  Disabling items in Services or Startup may leave your anitivius disabled until the process is ended.  For this reason I would suggest that you perform this process off line.

Press the Windows key and the R key to open Run, then type msconfig in the search box  then click/tap on OK.  This will open System Configuration.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for confirmation, you should enter the password or provide confirmation.

1. Click/tap on the General tab.   

2. Click/tap on the Selective startup option.

3. Remove the check mark in the Load startup items  check box.

4.  Click on the Services tab.

5.  Place a check mark in the Hide all Microsoft services check box, this will remove the Microsoft Services from the list but will still be running.

6.  Click Disable all, this will remove all of the check marks in the Services list.

7.  Click on Hide all Microsoft services.  Click on Apply then OK 

Click on Restart in the window that opens.

When the computer is restarted it will boot normally.  

Let me know if the problem persists after restarting the computer.

If the problem does not continue after the restart please do the following.

8.  Devide the number of these services by two and you place checks in the first half of these, then restart
the computer.

9.  If the problem doesn't return in those services remove the checks and place checks in the remaining
services.

10.  When you find which half the service is in go on to the next step.  

11.  In the half that the problem came back in you should remove the checks from the first half or the
services.

12.  Restart the computer.  If it isn't in the first half of these services, do the same with the last half of the
services.

13.  Once you have narrowed it down to the last three or four services remove the checks one at a time till you find the service at fault.

Once you have found the service post it in your topic.  Do not take any action until I suggest the next step.

Edited by dc3, 10 July 2017 - 08:52 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users