Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 wont start, safe mode options wont run

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Pip0025

Pip0025

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

Hello all, so i was on my dell desktop yesterday, booted it up from sleep mode and was browsing my email when my computer froze. So i restarted it and now it wont seem to boot windows. This happened before after a windows update so i tried to boot it in safe mode ... i tried all 3 safe mode opitons and tried to repair in safe mode but each time i tried it would just freeze at a black screen. I also tried to run it off the windows CD off f12 but it got an error loading it ... im assuming maybe my hard drive is cooked? Any and all help is appreciated!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:26 AM

Booting from a CD/DVD has nothing to do with the hard drive. Dell's will allow a full diagnostic by tapping F12 at boot. I would run through all tests.

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,393 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:35 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:20 PM

In order to boot from the installation media you need to go to the BIOS and change the boot order so that the installation media is the first device in the boot order and the ssd/hdd the second device.  Press the F10 key to save the changes.  Insert the installation media and restart the computer to boot from it.  You will see a screen telling you to press any key to continue.  When this happens you are have started the installation process.  You can select the Repair option at this point and select option from the System Recovery Options.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Pip0025

Pip0025
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:27 AM

Ok well i tried to run the diagnostics but it froze on me twice so then i switched the BIOS to run off the windows CD ... it supposedly finished the windows install but then at the end i get a blue screen saying a problem has been detected, windows has been shut down,error code 0x0000007B which mentions a possible virus?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:48 AM

It could be a virus but more likely the hard drive controller driver. If you enter BIOS settings is there an AHCI mode listed. If so change it to IDE and see if you boot.

it supposedly finished the windows install 

Are you saying you reinstalled Windows?

#6 Pip0025

Pip0025
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 05:39 AM

Well i switched it so it would try to load windows off of a windows cd instead if the hard drive ... one cd wouldnt finish loading and i got an error that suggests a ram issue then the other windows cd ( i have 2 windows cds, ones my original ones my brothers for his computer ) finishes loading but i get the blue screen error that suggests a virus. I havent actually re installed because i cant seem to even get to that point

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:58 AM

What is the make and model of the computer? A Dell will allow you to do a diagnostic by tapping F12 at boot. For HP tap Esc at boot and select System Diagnostics from the menu.

If not a Dell or HP download UBCD here. Click on the hard drive icon, not the mirror link. Burn the iso to a CD on any  WIndows 7 or later computer by right clicking the iso file and selecting Burn Disk Image. If you have a spare USB flash drive use Rufus with the iso file.

At the UBCD menu select Parted Magic. At the desktop click Disk Health and  run the short/long generic tests. If those pass then at the UBCD menu select Memtest+ under the Memory section. Run the test for at least six passes.

#8 Pip0025

Pip0025
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:31 PM

So the computer is a ...
Dell Studio XPS 7100
AMD phenom II x6 1055t w/ 8 RAM

I dont much care for whats on the HD currently as long as i can get this thing back to up and running ... Was trying to run the Dell diagnostics and after 2 hd errors it would constantly freeze up. I tried chkdsk to try and get the hd to repair the errors but no go it kept freezing up during the repair, so i popped in a new HD of the same size etc just a different model and ran the DIAG. No errors or anything ... memory was good too ... so i tried both the install cds again and got the same errors, could both the cds be bad? I mean one is 7+ years old ...

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 08:41 PM

It's possible. Does the computer have a COA sticker on the side with a legible key? If it does then download the COEM iso of your version, Home or Pro, using this tool. Burn the DVD on a Windows 7 or later computer by right clicking and selecting Burn Disk Image.

Edit: You can always download and try the install even if you do not have a key.

If there is no key on the computer then you will have to order recovery disks from Dell. In the mean time you could download and install a linux distro on the spare hard drive to get you temporarily up and running until you get the disks.

For people moving from Windows Linux Mint Cinnamon is a good choice.

http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3289

Edited by JohnC_21, 13 July 2017 - 08:50 PM.

#10 Pip0025

Pip0025
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:27 PM

Yeah it does have a sticker and a key ... never noticed it before ... does this have to be downloaded/burned to a disk or could a usb also be used?

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 12:37 PM

Ok well i tried to run the diagnostics but it froze on me twice so then i switched the BIOS to run off the windows CD ... it supposedly finished the windows install but then at the end i get a blue screen saying a problem has been detected, windows has been shut down,error code 0x0000007B which mentions a possible virus?

The error code means INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-hardware/drivers/debugger/bug-check-0x7b--inaccessible-boot-device

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 12:40 PM.

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:11 PM

Yeah it does have a sticker and a key ... never noticed it before ... does this have to be downloaded/burned to a disk or could a usb also be used?

You download the tool and then from that download your iso file. Because it's a Dell use the COEM version of your Windows 7, Home or Pro.

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2017 - 01:12 PM.

#13 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:16 PM

You download the tool and then from that download your iso file. Because it's a Dell use the COEM version of your Windows 7, Home or Pro.

Unfortunately, that tool no longer has an English language ISO...

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,241 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:26 PM

I just downloaded the tool. There is a dropdown box to select English, US.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 14 July 2017 - 01:29 PM.

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 01:39 PM

I just downloaded the tool. There is a dropdown box to select English, US.

For COEM Home Premium only...

I don't see where the OP posted his version.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users