Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Draw On Internet Connection Crippling Other Computer

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:01 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Hello all,

I do understand, that streaming video will have some effect on internet performance of other computer's connected to the same router. However, when I am watching YouTube videos, which I understand not to be at bandwidth hogging as say Netflix, other streaming sources, or using a torrent client with multiple connection, my wife's computer internet connection bogs down to a point where it's basically unusable. It becomes quite contentious around here when I have to give up watching Safari Live on YouTube so she can play games on Facebook.

My computer is an Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.00GHZ, with 16GB Dual-Channel RAM at 1066MHz on a GigaGyte Z170XP-SLI-CF motherboard. I am am wired directly between the onboard ethernet controller and the ISP provided Hitron CGN3ACSMR modem. My wife is connected direct to the same modem. Our ISP claims 100Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. I consistently get decent results, sometimes exceeding with speed.

My question ... is there any reason why my wife's computer would suffer such internet instability while I am say streaming a YouTube video? Are there any settings that may be overlooked, or something to consider as a bottleneck?

Thank you ...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mikey11

mikey11

• Members
  • 1,393 posts
  •  
  • Location:Psychiatric Ward @ Beelitz-Heilstatten Hospital, Beelitz, Germany
  • Local time:09:01 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:07 AM

have you done a speed test on your ISP website?

are you sure its not just a coincidence?

#3 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:14 AM

Hi Mikey, thanks for chiming in with your thoughts.

Yes, I do speed tests routinely via my ISP's test site, powered by Ookla. Test just now was DL 130.17Mbps, UL 11.11Mbps Latency 10ms and Jitter 7ms.

If it's conincidence, then I suffer a lot of coincidences. I'm not asking for help here because of it happening only once or twice. This happens everytime I access any streaming content. We don't have this issue when I am just surfing the internet. It's become an anticipated occurence that I need to check with her to ensure she isn't doing something important before I access YouTube to watch a video.

Edited by CorruptCoW, 09 July 2017 - 09:16 AM.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:01 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

You can control how much bandwidth is allocated to each system in the QoS (Quality of Service) settings on the router.

#5 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:01 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:43 PM

I would be looking at why only her computer is having this issue.  Check the hardware and drivers

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:21 AM

I don't think it's her computer.

See this article on QoS and why you would use it...

https://www.howtogeek.com/75660/the-beginners-guide-to-qos-on-your-router/

#7 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:08 PM

Have to disagree. You don't need QoS in a home situation usually [room mates is a different story]

I have my home network and an attached cottage with a renter. Never had my wife complain.

Something is wrong with her connection if its impacted by anothers usage. Usual sign there is a problem at the router or isp supply level.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:57 PM

I guess we will have to agree to disagree...

Edited by jwoods301, 10 July 2017 - 08:58 PM.

#9 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

that's pretty classy considering how some of these conversations go :-)

#10 CorruptCoW

CorruptCoW
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:05 AM

What should I check on her computer? Last evening,I was using my PC for casual stuff, and my laptop, wirelessly connected to the same router, was streaming HD Netflix with not a stutter on either.

#11 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 03:42 PM

Do the following diagnostics (first using wireless, and then using ethernet) on both systems.

Run the DSL Reports Speed Test and see what your Quality and BufferBloat scores are...

https://www.dslreports.com/speedtest

#12 arlattimor

arlattimor

• Members
  • 591 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:01 PM

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:02 AM

Jwoods301, you are correct. This is a Quality of Service issue only in wifi terms it is called Wifi Multimedia Services or WMM. Most likely CorruptCow does not have this feature enabled within his wireless router. This will ensure that a device using a streaming service does not become a bandwidth hog.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Multimedia_Extensions

Edited by arlattimor, 27 July 2017 - 02:05 AM.

A. Lattimore

CCNA, CWNA, MCITP, MCSA, MCT, MCP, Security+, Server+, Linux+, Network+, A+, CNST

Network Security Engineer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users