Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Broken laptop screen

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 lalefty

lalefty

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:42 AM

I recently dropped my computer and broke the screen. IT still worked for a while but is seriously messed up. Can I just get another external screen? I don't have the money for a new computer. All I've been using my computer for us to watch dvds. My only Internet is on my phone. The computer is an HP pavilion g7

Edited by lalefty, 09 July 2017 - 05:50 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:49 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:00 AM

Hi

The screens are replaceable for anyone with moderate skills and are usually available on eBay or Amazon in many cases.

As an example looking at this service manual from HP for the Pavilion G7

which they make available here:

http://www.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c02834058.pdf

On page 93 they detail the procedure to replace the Screen or as they call it the Display Assembly.

If this manual matches Your PC it should be worth looking at. You do need to look at the proper part number from the back of the screen before ordering a replacement part

For example Only

HP 640221-001 Laptop Screen 17.3 LED BOTTOM LEFT WXGA++ 1600x900

Price:

$87.75 + $9.89 shipping

It is something to consider. FWIW I have changed many screens in the past. The Key thing is to get the right screen by part number.

Good Luck

Roger

P.S. if You decide to try changing the screen, You should be able to find YouTube videos showing the procedure just be sure You feel OK trying it.

Edited by rotor123, 09 July 2017 - 08:12 AM.
Added Content

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#3 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:07 AM

Hi Again

I forgot to say that yes You could just use an external display

Look at the Service manual I linked on page 15. if that matches Your computer exactly it would appear You have HDMI an VGA video connectors. If so You might be able to just hook it to a HDTV if You have one with a free port.

Good Luck

Roger

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/

167 @ June 2015

#4 lalefty

lalefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 08:15 AM

Thanks for the Quick reply. Awesome information

#5 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,094 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hi

I will be curious as to what You decide.

Your welcome

Roger

167 @ June 2015

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:26 AM

I haven't looked at the Service Manual link for your machine, but have replaced laptop screens on more than one occasion.

If you think you want to do this yourself I would strongly suggest heading over to YouTube and seeing if there are videos related to your exact model or one of its close cousins.   Seeing someone else do this will often give you an immediate sense of whether it's something you want to undertake or not.

I've actually declined to do certain screen replacements for clients because, by the time you purchased the part and paid the labor, the total cost would be more than for a new machine and extracting the data from the old one.   I know that this does not apply in your case, but some laptops are "easy peasy" to change out the screen for while others are a nightmare, and it's all got to do with how the things are designed and put together.

Once you've watched someone do one on your machine you'll either be convinced that you can do it, and in which case I'd encourage you to give it a go, or realize that you wouldn't ever think of doing this yourself.   I have yet to find anyone who is not on one side of the fence or another once they've seen it done.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#7 lalefty

lalefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:08 AM

when my screen first broke I could still watch videos on it. NOW the picture rolls rapidly even if no video is loaded so I'm wondering if there's also something wrong with the computer. I would be brave enough to replace the screen myself but not sure if that would fix the rolling.

#8 lalefty

lalefty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

I checked out some videos about replacing the screen. My picture rolls now even just the desktop screen so I'm afraid there's also something wrong with the computer now, not just the screen.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,327 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:30 AM

Not necessarily.  If you can watch using an external monitor without issue your internal hardware is most likely OK, but there are no guarantees.

Once a screen is shattered all sorts of problems can continue to crop up over time with it.  Lots of components that weren't compromised at time of impact can become so after environmental exposure to things they're not supposed to be exposed to.

I would definitely borrow (if you don't have one) a monitor to see if the same display issue occurs on it.  That should guide you.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users