Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Keyboard's "B" & "N" buttons delete text and apps on laptop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 bossmantu2

bossmantu2

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:40 AM

Hi

Currently I'm working to fix my nephew's Windows 8.1 Hp Pavilion 15 Laptop. About a month ago he noticed that the "B" & "N" buttons on the laptop's keypad/keyboard was not performing properly. Whenever he'd use Window's Notepad or any other program that would allow the user to type messages or text, the "b" & "n" keys when pressed would automatically delete text when the cursor was moved to middle of a sentence; the letters to the right of the cursor would delete. He first noticed this when he was typing messages in Skype to his friends back and forth. Additionally, he noticed that when the letters were pressed an audio sounding "bing" would come through the speakers while in Skype. After doing my own inquiry, I found  a much larger problem. It seem that the "B" and "N" buttons engage an "ins" insert key type overwrite that not only deletes text, but also deletes programs (pressing ins key does not fix it). If the last letter that is typed in any program or search bar is an B or N it engages something that deletes everything when I click on any file  or desktop application. Suddenly the application or file ends up in my recycle bin folder, upon which they can not be restored to their previous location. The only work-around that we can use currently is to not engage the delete function by not using those letters or to use an on-screen keyboard. 

THINGS THAT I'VE ALREADY TRIED TO FIX THE ISSUE ARE:

-Various scans by malewarebytes, Superantispyware, various anti virus programs etc.

-uninstalled skype along with other apps dated back to about a month ago.

-Performed CHKDSK scan in command prompt. 

-finally I performed a systems restore back to factory only settings, deleting everything in my hard drive that didn't come with the laptop.

THE PROBLEM IS STILL THERE! Thanks for any help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 11:15 AM

Given what you've already done my gut is telling me that the keyboard itself has gone wonky, and this can happen very easily on laptop keyboards and particularly older ones if the user has a heavy touch.

Have you tried attaching an external USB keyboard to see if the behavior is normal for it?  If not that's what I'd suggest next.

If you have normal behavior from the on-screen keyboard and an external keyboard then you most likely have a bum laptop keyboard.  Replacements are readily available and are typically not a particularly challenging DIY project.  Have a look at YouTube videos with regard to your make and model with "replace keyboard" as part of the search.

If you don't have normal behavior from the external keyboard then we've got a very odd "kettle of fish" here.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:01 AM

Hahah, sorry fo the laugh. this is keyboard issue. The alphabet letter is messing with the functionality of function keys. I had this glitch in my keyboard as well. I had to get it changed. 

Just change the keyboard and you'll see everything is fine :) :bananas:

#4 bossmantu2

bossmantu2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:17 PM

Thanks for all the help everyone!

Thus far it seems that the on-screen keyboard works fine and the problem is isolated to the physical pad itself. I'll have to try an external keyboard to get a more concrete diagnosis, which should be fun considering I have about 9 extra keyboards laying around but none are USB versions-hah! Currently I consider myself an amateur computer guy's apprentice-that's my level of expertise thus far. But if I keep learning, hopefully something constructive will come from it. Anyway, again thanks for the input and I'll be sure to keep everyone posted if I feel that the information could help the community.

Edited by bossmantu2, 10 July 2017 - 11:21 PM.

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,159 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 11:49 PM

Make a visit to your local thrift stores and I can assure you that you will find more USB keyboards than you ever thought you'd see, fully functional, and available for a buck or two.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users