Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Need opinions on what parts to upgrade

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Squigglez

Squigglez

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 11:19 PM

Processor: AMD FX™-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 PSU: Corsair CX500M

These are my current specs, sorry if these aren't written out correctly but I don't know everything about computers. And I know some parts may seem like overkill in comparison to some other of my parts, but thats because I made some upgrades.

Anyways I'm looking to make some part upgrades to help better my computers gaming ability any suggestions would be great. I'm assuming I need an upgrade on my processor and RAM, and my budget is around $500 for the total upgrades (maybe more). I want it to be able to run more demanding games like PUBG, ARMA 3 (modded), and others.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:33 AM

I suggest you upgrade your processor to one of Intel's Core i7 models (6th gen/7th gen). Much more powerful, especially when it comes to gaming - you'll need a new motherboard to go along with it. Plus one more stick of 8 GB RAM should do well for your purposes.

Regards.

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:57 AM

I suggest you upgrade your processor to one of Intel's Core i7 models (6th gen/7th gen). Much more powerful, especially when it comes to gaming - you'll need a new motherboard to go along with it. Plus one more stick of 8 GB RAM should do well for your purposes.

Regards.

Virtually all i5 and i7 CPU's are bad buys as AMD Ryzen is much better.

Processor: AMD FX™-4300 Quad-Core Processor, 3800 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s) GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960 RAM: 8 GB DDR3 Motherboard: ASUSTeK Computer INC. M5A78L-M/USB3 PSU: Corsair CX500M

I suggest you get FX-83xx CPU, like FX-8320 and perhaps bit more memory. It's also good idea to wait until video card prices drop.

#4 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:23 PM

Regards.

Virtually all i5 and i7 CPU's are bad buys as AMD Ryzen is much better. 

In terms of actual real-world performance in games, I beg to differ.

While we're happy to have Ryzen doing serious battle with Broadwell-E for the hearts and minds of content creators, coders, and other professionals, our assessment of the gaming space suggests Ryzen 7 isn't currently the processor family to beat. Intel's Kaby Lake-based CPUs are definitely less expensive, and typically faster.

- Tom's Hardware | Ryzen 7 vs Core i7

SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#5 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:54 PM

In terms of actual real-world performance in games, I beg to differ.

While we're happy to have Ryzen doing serious battle with Broadwell-E for the hearts and minds of content creators, coders, and other professionals, our assessment of the gaming space suggests Ryzen 7 isn't currently the processor family to beat. Intel's Kaby Lake-based CPUs are definitely less expensive, and typically faster.

- Tom's Hardware | Ryzen 7 vs Core i7

Where would I start.

1. That test was made with old AGESA, old BIOS versions, old game versions, old drivers...
2. That test did NOT include Ryzen 5 models
3. That test did NOT test real life gaming performance, benchmarks are not real world
4. In real world i7-7700K is already maxed out, very soon it will slow considerably vs hexa cores
5. AM4 platform is much better than LGA1151 platform
6. AM4 CPU's are much cooler
7. AM4 CPU's are more future proof because more cores and/or SMT

So generally I see no reason for getting any i5/i7. And that's why not a single hardware site recommends buying them any more.

#6 Squigglez

Squigglez
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:00 PM

Soooo does that mean I should get a Ryzen? And if so what model?

#7 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

Regards.

What I would have said. 

#8 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,344 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:50 AM

Soooo does that mean I should get a Ryzen? And if so what model?

For $500 budget, it's better to buy FX-83xx CPU as I previously recommended and wait until video card prices are sensible.

For new system, Ryzen is good choice but your budget is too small.

Edited by Drillingmachine, 10 July 2017 - 04:50 AM.

#9 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:08 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

I agree with Drillingmachine, for $500, it is not in the OP's budget to replace the motherboard, CPU, RAM, and OS license.  For now, replacing the FX-4xxx CPU with an FX-8xxx CPU would be a better option.  Then, after the CPU is installed, replacing the GPU, but prices are a little inflated right now.

3939.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users