Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

do I really have 2 routers?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Glenski

Glenski

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

I'm using a NEC LaVie laptop computer from home, using Windows 7. I have the free Avast anti-virus program. In doing a routine scan, I noticed that it shows weak passwords for 2 routers, but I only have one.

The one displayed in a yellow bar is labeled as a "weak wireless network password" with a router called Hon Hai IP: 192.168.3.1 above it. Immediately under that yellow bar is a red one that says "weak or default password found".

Opening the yellow bar shows a description that begins "Your wifi network connection is secured with a weak or default password". It then gives me a link to change router settings and says the solution is to change the wifi passwoOpening the red bar shows a description that begins "We have found that your device uses a very weak or default password". It then gives me a link to change router settings and says the solution is to change the password to access this device.

What is the difference here?

When I click on the CHANGE ROUTER SETTINGS button inside either of these descriptions, an authentification window opens that says "EWMTA Configuration Web Server". It shows a username which I recognize, and a password that is masked. I click OK, but it pops back up again as if one or both of them is incorrect, but I don't know what to enter to fix that.

Can you assist me on this, too?

Thanks in advance.

Glenski

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:07 PM

Have you already tried modem/router manufacturer's handbook's suggested way of entering the configuration panel for that router's WIFI connection panel?  I'm wondering if that is a better way to go.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:54 PM

The two passwords it is referring to...

1. The password used to log in to your router's GUI.

2. The password used to connect to WiFi.

#4 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:04 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

Don't mind but this thread made me laugh :P

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:40 PM

Don't mind but this thread made me laugh :P

Why is that?

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,533 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:56 PM

I found that out some time ago, had to call my ATT DSL rep because back then I failed to write them down.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Glenski

Glenski
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 44 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:04 PM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:44 PM

Have you already tried modem/router manufacturer's handbook's suggested way of entering the configuration panel for that router's WIFI connection panel?  I'm wondering if that is a better way to go.

It's in Japanese, so I can't read it anyway, and my Japanese wife does not understand it either.

Thanks, but that still doesn't help. Both are set as masked when the window opens, but they don't work, and I don't have any other information to determine what to enter. Had to look up what GUI means, and it still doesn't help me to understand my problem.

Sorry to all for not responding sooner. I thought this would notify me automatically of any responses, but it didn't.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users