Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive needs to be replaced

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 pandabird

pandabird

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:57 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:45 PM

I have a DELL XPS 8300 computer from June 2011 (about 6 years now) which has been a great computer yet the internal 1 TB drive may be failing now; the hard drive may this thus require replacement.  I have a Windows 10 OS and have backed things up onto a 1 TB external Western Digital drive (using Smartwire over the last 1-2 years).

I was running a program and there was some difficulty in it finding a file by it as it was definitely on my computer per my manual check of files with Windows Explorer and still finding it there. I ran Tweaking.com-Windows Repair beginning tasks and the system had bad reparse points and CHKDISK was required. Running CHKDSK resulted in computer "hanging" at 11% for an extensive period of time. System restore did not seem to restore to earlier time points either.

I ran my Avast-FREE anti-virus and it found nothing (it was just updated automatically which may have influenced things to some degree). I ran both Super Antispyware free and Malwarebytes and found no bad infections.  AdCleaner only found one bad item which probably had no influence on this.

Basically, I ran HDDScan v3.3 which I have run in the past. It took about 12 hours to run and found 2 bad blocks, many blocks taking greater than 100 ms to read, and significant time to read LBA blocks in the beginning part of my drive. It seems that I definitely need to replace the hard drive per this diagnostic and any advice/preparation that you can provide would be appreciated.  Attached File  chart 100 percent 7-8-2017.jpg   74KB   0 downloads

I have Speccy and the HDDScan log reports which I can provide to assist in determining how to proceed.

1) I do not have a system image so if iI should create one. Please advise with recommendations as to what to use and how to do this.

2) i could buy some time with my system by re-partitioning the bad C: drive to an area of the drive that is good and copying over the bad part to that section. I have the "Mini-Tools Parttion Wizard" which i can use for this but i would need advance guidance in how to do this. I do not know how to determine where an LBA block area would correspond on the drive to know what part section is good or bad to transfer in a partition copy.

If there is additional diagnostic testing that I should do please let me know.  Although i feel I have more experience and knowledge of the computer than many but there is a limit to what i feel comfortable in doing myself without guidance from someone more knowledgeable.

i appreciate any assistance. I realize I probably should plan on getting a new computer ASAP but would like to do what I can with what I have for now.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:08 PM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  Clicking on this link will automatically initiate the download.

The one piece of information the Speccy will not provide is the make and model of your PSU.  If you know what it is please post this along with the Speccy link which will be generated.

When Speccy opens Click on File which is in the upper left portion of the screen, then click on Publish Snapshot.

In the following screen click on Copy to Clipboard.

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Please download and run SeaTools for Windows

Before the installation begins you will be prompted to either Decline or Accept the terms of the installation, click on I Accept.

1.  SeaTools for Windows will search for HDDs and SSDs on your computer.  Please remove any external storage devices connected via USB ports.

2.  Detected Drives will list the HDDs and SSDs found.  Place a check mark in the drive box you want to run the scan on.  This should be the drive that has the operating system installed on it, this is usually C: drive.

3.  You will see Basic Tests toolbar above Detected Drives, move the mouse pointer over this to open the test options.  Please click on Long Generic Test

4.  This will start the scan.  When the scan is complete you will see the result under Test Status , please post the results in your topic.

5.  The test will indicate either Pass or Fail.  Post the results of the scan in your topic.

6.  Click on Help, then click on View Log File.  If the scan failed take a screen shot of the Log File and post it in your topic.

Edited by dc3, 09 July 2017 - 03:12 PM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 03:32 PM

Here is posting from most recent downloaded version of Speccy.

I will post Seagate scan later along with the PSU (power supply unit). I will not to open up my computer to get that info.(I believe that I might have a Western Digital Drive though and they might have their own utility but i will run this)

Thanks.

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/Jkvh6O0kGwtVNJ5ZTmhB5IB

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:39 PM

Pandabird,

This is an aside, but the Speccy snapshot indicates that both Avast and Windows Defender are disabled.  If that's so then you need to enable Avast again or uninstall it and let Windows Defender take over again.

There are the occasional mistakes in Speccy reports, but in case this happens to be correct you should look at this.

P.S.  Seagate SeaTools works on any brand of hard disc drive.  They just developed it.

Edited by britechguy, 09 July 2017 - 05:40 PM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:44 PM

I ran the Seagate program but log did not have much. I am not sure if this ran properly as i would have expected more in Log. It also initially said should run for about 4 hours.

Here is copy of Log:

--------------- SeaTools for Windows v1.4.0.4 ---------------
7/9/2017 5:28:28 PM
Model Number: WDC WD1001FAES-75W7A0
Serial Number: WD-WCATR5766963
Firmware Revision: 05.01D05
SMART - Started 7/9/2017 5:28:28 PM
SMART - Pass 7/9/2017 5:28:33 PM
Identify - Started 7/9/2017 5:30:04 PM
Long Generic - Started 7/9/2017 5:34:08 PM

I opened computer and found PSU type.

It is REV. A00 DATE: 1051

DELL AC460AD-00

API P/N PC9004

Cannot post photo as too large of an attachment.

#6 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:53 PM

I should also note that I deliberately turned off my Avast free too.

This may be related or a separate problem but just the last couple days I've been having problems with my Mozilla Thunderbird email client.  It seems to get stuck on a main page such that I cannot see my list of folders in a far left pane and my list of messages along the right. It seems that I need to go into the Mozilla "HELP" menu and restart it in Thunderbird SAFE-MODE. Seems to work when doing this with  "Add-ons"   still enabled but I no longer see my Calendar. I can, however, see my calendar in the initial main screen when started normally. Takes a long time to load...normal for last several months.

This Mozilla Thunderbird issue may be due to a recent Avast update from the other day. Or, related to this other problem.

i should also add that several months ago I had to re-install my WIN 10 OS. (this thread is posted on site elsewhere) This may be all related.

Edited by pandabird, 09 July 2017 - 05:54 PM.

#7 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Here is PSU info -Amps  Photo still too big. -See link here at Google docs

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PQ6DMDMgu6nGih2tlY1tmlx9qtzYW6rFOz9zWLUQSKA/edit?usp=sharing

Edited by pandabird, 09 July 2017 - 06:15 PM.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 08:21 AM

In the Speccy under Services Avast is running, Windows Defender is disabled as it normally should be when another antivirus is installed.

The mistakes which Brian eluded to in a Speccy generally are so gross it's pretty obvious that the information is erroneous.  An example:  CPU 28C, GPU 32C, Motherboard 48C.  This is only an example, not what is seen in your Speccy.

Usually if there is a problem with a hdd the speccy will list the S.M.A.R.T. attributes which if there is something off kilter it will be seen there.  There is not indication that this is the case here.  I see you ran the short test for the SeaTools scan and found it passed, you started the long test but there is no indication of any results.  Did you allow the scan to complete?

Are you having any problems running any other browsers? 

Just to make sure there isn't a problem with the operating system please run the System File Checker.

The sfc /scannow command scans all protected system files and replaces corrupted and incorrect versions with correct Microsoft versions.

Important:  There will be a short message at the end of the scan informing you of the results.  If you receive the message "no integrity violations were found" you don't need to do anything else, no corrupt files were found.  You should watch the scan to see the results at the end of the scan.

This needs to be run using an Administrator account.  

You should not do anything else with the computer while this scan is running.  Do not stop the scan as this can damage Windows files.

You will need to open the Command Prompt to run the sfc /scannow.  The easiest way to do this is to press the Windows key and the X key.   A menu will open with the option Command Prompt (Admin), click on this.  This will open the Command Prompt.

If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, enter the password, or click Allow.

Copy and paste the command below in the Command Prompt, then press Enter.

sfc /scannow

This scan will take a while to run, please do not abort the scan as this can result in damage to the operating system.

If integrity issues are found in the scan please post the CBS log using the instructions below.

To find sfc /scannow log click/tap on File Explorer, select the drive which Windows is installed on (this usually is the C: drive), click/tap on Windows, then Logs, then CBS.  If there are more than one log you can identify the log you want by the date and time it was run.  

Copy and paste the log at the host website I've suggested below.

This log usually is very large, for this reason you should use a host website like Dropbox to post the log.  You can start a free 30 day trial.  Once you have loaded the log at Dropbox post a link to the website.

Edited by dc3, 10 July 2017 - 08:36 AM.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#9 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:50 AM

I could not run the Seagate Drive program so i downloaded from MajorGeeks  the Western Digital Data LifeGuard Diagnostic program and used that instead. It took about 16 hours to run but found bad blocks that were unrepairable.

Test Option:

EXTENDED TEST

Model Number:

WDC WD1001FAES-75W7A0

Unit Serial Number:

WD-WCATR5766963

Firmware Number:

05.01D05

Capacity:

1000.20 GB

SMART Status:

PASS

Test Result:

FAIL

Test Error Code:

08-Unable to repair bad sectors.

Test Time:

08:32:23, July 10, 2017

#10 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

The general consensus is that if you are starting to see bad sectors your drive is on its way out and you should replace it ASAP.  I'm a bit of a contrarian, though, and say you need to look at how many bad sectors and keep an eye on whether that number is changing.  On large drives in particular there are a number of reasons why a few sectors might be marked as bad but the drive itself will run for a very long time provided that number is not changing and getting larger.  This approach is a gamble, so if you were to elect to go that way you need to be keeping your system backed up with a full system image on a routine basis (which you should be doing anyway).  I have had a couple of drives with a few bad sectors that ran for years, literally, without failing.

Most disc cloning programs will not clone bad sectors, so I've typically bought the replacement drive and cloned the existing one on to it then popped it in to the machine as the replacement for the original when circumstances suggested to me that this was the best course of action.

If you run a chkdsk /r you'll likely get a bad sectors message, too, but that's really not necessary.

Edited by britechguy, 10 July 2017 - 09:58 AM.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:28 AM

I agree with Brian.  As a rule of thumb bad sectors can be an indication of a possible hdd failure.  But by the same token sectors with readable data can be reallocated to another sector.  A hdd has millions of sectors.  But when you start seeing frequent bad sectors it's time to save your important data (which you should be doing on a regular basis anyway), purchase a new drive and move on.  At least now you know that the operating system was being effected by the bad sectors.

#12 pandabird

pandabird
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:33 AM

I ran sfc /scannow an it seemed to run fine. Message: 'No integrity violations"

How is the power supply based on specs given?  May be good idea to have this checked to prior to replacing a drive.

Do you have any recommendations for an easy to use drive imaging program? I don't know if it's too late for that. I do have major files backed up on an external drive and via Carbonite at least.

For the approx. $200+ cost to have someone repair/replace the drive it might be best to just get a laptop now.

Can I salvage drive by copying to a new partition via my earlier note? If possible, please advise how to best do this.

Thanks.

I

Edited by pandabird, 10 July 2017 - 10:36 AM.

#13 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 10:39 AM

SFC is the System File Checker an it has nothing whatsoever to do with hard disk integrity.  It's quite possible to have a clean SFC on a drive with bad sectors.  It's well-nigh impossible to have a clean "chkdsk" result on a disk with bad sectors.

Unless you are seeing something going wonky with other components I am highly disinclined to think this is a power supply problem.  My personal experience is they either work as they've always been working or fail entirely such that the computer will not power up.

Macrium Reflect Free (or paid) is a very good system image backup program that also has the ability to clone disks as well.

Since this is a desktop system changing out a hard drive is a snap as a DIY job.  Go to YouTube and watch a couple of videos about doing this and you'll see what I mean.  If you wish to keep your system (which you may not) I'd recommend getting a new hard drive, cloning your existing hard drive to it, then swapping out the old drive for the cloned drive and never look back.

~ Austin O'Malley

#14 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,595 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:30 PM

SFC is the System File Checker an it has nothing whatsoever to do with hard disk integrity.

But hard disk integrity can have a big effect on the operating system.  Especially if there are numerous bad sectors.  This is why they were requested to run the sfc in order to determine if there is any file corruption.  This comes under the heading of "splitting hairs".  Having determined that there is no file corruption in the operating system using a tool like Macrium Reflect to clone the drive would be an acceptable option.

#15 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,116 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:49 PM

SFC is the System File Checker an it has nothing whatsoever to do with hard disk integrity.

But hard disk integrity can have a big effect on the operating system.  Especially if there are numerous bad sectors.  This is why they were requested to run the sfc in order to determine if there is any file corruption.  This comes under the heading of "splitting hairs".  Having determined that there is no file corruption in the operating system using a tool like Macrium Reflect to clone the drive would be an acceptable option.

Er, no.  And I wasn't arguing with you or the premise you've just put forth.

However, it is entirely possible to have an entirely clean SFC result on a failing hard drive as what SFC checks can come out clean.  The tool is not meant to check hard drive integrity and you can't read a clean SFC result as meaning a darned thing about the state of the hard drive, and shouldn't.

I was not suggesting that your recommendation was wrong, because it could turn up issues with system file integrity.  I am stating that the OP's presumption that a clean SFC result has any direct connection to hard disk health is erroneous.

When it comes to reliability and validity, the correct tool needs to be used with regard to what one's checking for.   SFC and CHKDSK check for completely different things, though a bad hard drive *could* cause system file corruption if the problem is with sectors where they (or their shadow copies) are stored.  But SFC should be thought of as a system file integrity check and CHKDSK as a hardware integrity check.

~ Austin O'Malley

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users