Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lightweight laptop needed for work | SSD | 13 inch

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Total budget and country of purchase:
-80K INR (India)
Please link to Amazon India for suggestions. A lot of the products on the Amazon US website are not available, and if they are, they're inordinately expensive.

Do you prefer a 2 in 1 form factor, good battery life or best specifications for the money? Pick or include any that apply:
-Good battery life, and value for money is important to me.

How important is weight and thinness to you?
-Very. I travel at least a couple of hours by train everyday to work. So something that won't break my back. Preferably below 1.5 kg.

Which OS do you require?
-Mac/Windows

Do you have a preferred screen size?
-13"

Are you doing any CAD/video editing/photo editing/gaming? List which programs/games you desire to run:
-I'm mostly be using my laptop for everyday tasks like docs, browsing, watching films and all. Occasionally though, I'd like to be able to edit video a bit on Premiere/FCP (render times are not much of a concern for me since these are personal projects).

If you're gaming, do you have certain games you want to play? At what settings and FPS do you want?
-Not looking to play anything other than light stuff (CS and all)

Any specific requirements such as good keyboard, reliable build quality, touch-screen, finger-print reader, optical drive or good input devices (keyboard/touchpad)?
-Good build quality and a good design would be ideal. I'm planning to keep this purchase for 2 to 3 years.

That said, I'd definitely want an SSD and at least 8 gigs of RAM. Processor: i5/i7.

I was considering the latest Macbook Air available in my country (13", i5, 8 GB RAM, 256 GB SSD) and it seems like a pretty good deal, but I'm not sure how good it is performance wise. Would it be a good choice for my needs?

Please help me out here guys.

Thanks a bunch in advance. I hope I'll find what I want.
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:55 PM

It's 5lbs, but performance laptops are generally heavy and costly. It's $1000 dollar laptop, but right up there in the performance. This is the most top rated for the price range. It'll handle anything you throw at it.

Windows 10, 15.6 inch 4k, I7, 16GB memory, Dedicated graphics card GTX 960m 4G, 1TB hard drive + 128GB SSD option. USB 3, LAN AC, 10 Hours battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-12623BLK-Generation-GeForce/dp/B015PZ0EHS/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t/142-1648436-8664836?th=1

Edited by technonymous, 08 July 2017 - 06:56 PM.

#3 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 02:00 AM

It's 5lbs, but performance laptops are generally heavy and costly. It's $1000 dollar laptop, but right up there in the performance. This is the most top rated for the price range. It'll handle anything you throw at it.

Windows 10, 15.6 inch 4k, I7, 16GB memory, Dedicated graphics card GTX 960m 4G, 1TB hard drive + 128GB SSD option. USB 3, LAN AC, 10 Hours battery life.

https://www.amazon.com/Dell-Inspiron-i7559-12623BLK-Generation-GeForce/dp/B015PZ0EHS/ref=cm_cd_al_qh_dp_t/142-1648436-8664836?th=1

I'm grateful for your prompt response. But unfortunately, despite the performance advantage, weight is too important for me and this is just too heavy.

I'm looking for something like - say the Asus Zenbook UX330UA, but it's too expensive here in India (93K INR). Something under/close-to the 80K INR mark. Will the Macbook Air (i5 | 256 GB | 8 GB RAM) do?

Also, please try to check the Amazon India website (amazon.in) and provide links to there - to ensure price and availability requirements. Like I can't find the laptop you suggested on the Amazon India website, at least not in my budget, which is quite often the case. So please help me out with that. Thank you.

One more thing, the graphics card is not extremely important to me as I'm not looking to do any more than casual gaming.

But hey, thanks a lot for taking the effort! 😊
SYSTEM SPECS.
Windows 7 Ultimate SP1 | Intel Core 2 Duo E7500 @ 2.93GHz | 4.00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 333MHz RAM | 488 GB WD SATA HDD | 1024MB ATI Radeon HD 4350 | No real-time antivirus | MBAM on-demand | Windows 7's Built-in Firewall |

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,490 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:37 PM

The Airbook is not good on gaming or graphics rendering. Most will fall short on that until you get into Macbook pro or Imac. If the weight is the major concern to you and you can live with that then get the Airbook. I see the one you are looking at for 63k inr. I really don't recommend anyone spending $600-700 US for a laptop when you can get one for $1000 that performs way better. It's well worth spending the extra money. Most people that do buy cheaper laptops are not pleased long term. Anyways good luck to you.

#5 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

Could you recommended a 13 inch lightweight laptop I could buy instead? Something that's available under 80 K INR in India?

Thank you.
SYSTEM SPECS.

#6 RolandJS

RolandJS

• Members
  • 4,525 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:27 PM

Don't forget to include in your budget for this work laptop any affordable, doable, backup software (whether free or fee) and affordable, reliable, external media to store your backups.

"Take care of thy backups and thy restores shall take care of thee."  -- Ben Franklin revisited.

http://collegecafe.fr.yuku.com/forums/45/Computer-Technologies/

Backup, backup, backup! -- Lady Fitzgerald (w7forums)

Clone or Image often! Backup... -- RockE (WSL)

#7 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 06:39 AM

That's all right. But I'm yet to receive any actual suggestions (links - remember, Amazon India) for a powerful, durable, well-designed laptop that is both available in my country and within my budget. Please help me out.

Thank you.

Regards.

SYSTEM SPECS.

#8 Alvas Rawuther

Alvas Rawuther
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 356 posts
  •  

Posted 21 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

That's all right. But I'm yet to receive any actual suggestions (links - remember, Amazon India) for a powerful, durable, well-designed laptop that is both available in my country and within my budget. Please help me out.

Thank you.

Regards.

bump

SYSTEM SPECS.

#9 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,874 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 07 August 2017 - 09:35 AM

Take a look:  http://www.amazon.in/s/ref=sr_st_price-asc-rank?keywords=13-inch+laptops%5C&fst=as%3Aoff&rh=n%3A976392031%2Cn%3A1375424031%2Ck%3A13-inch+laptops%5C%2Cp_36%3A7252032031&qid=1502116471&sort=price-asc-rank .

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users