Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Compartmentalized Android

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 BugsBunny527

BugsBunny527

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:03 PM

Is there an app/launcher/whatever (I'm not phone savvy) for Android that allows you to compartmentalize apps like QubesOS for desktop? I'd like to make sure some apps don't start in the background and can't read other apps' files.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:53 PM

I'm not sure what you mean as I haven't heard of that QubeOS program, but if it means what I kinda think it does, you don't need an app if you are using Android 6.0 Marshmallow. If you want to restrict an app from starting in the background, just go to Settings -> Apps -> and then you have to click on each App one by one, and press on Permissions -> there you have all the permissions that an app has, including whether or not it can start in background. You can disallow it from having this permission and just allow it to do what you want.

Also, you might want to check the app Greenify.

Good luck!:)

#3 BugsBunny527

BugsBunny527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:28 PM

Can I disallow it from reading and modifying other apps' data?

#4 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:18 PM

I'm pretty sure, yes. For example, you can stop Facebook from having access to Chrome's data if I'm not mistaken and so on. BTW, I forgot to say that these permissions show in details after you tap on Permissions and then on the top right corner for all the permissions that the app has.:)

#5 BugsBunny527

BugsBunny527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 06:42 PM

That sounds swell :) QubesOS is a Linux distro that runs each program in its own virtual machine, so they're all isolated. I know that running a bunch of VMs on a cell phone is a bit of a tall order, but I'd be happy even if I could just isolate apps to read/write in their own directories and stop them from restarting in the background. I have an older version of Android ATM and I can't trust that phone with anything really.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

Well, I'm not fully sure if you are going to be able to do that fully on a stock Android phone, but I'm pretty certain it could be done with some research and rooting the device at hand.:)

#7 BugsBunny527

BugsBunny527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:43 PM

OK, I've done some research, it seems I can upgrade my phone to Android 6 or 7 if I install Cyanogen mod. The Q is, can I retain HTC Sense UI?

#8 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:53 AM

I'm not so sure. I think the Cyanogen mod has its own UI, but I am 100% sure that you can change that after you root it. However, you may have to install Cyanogen mod and then install HTC Sense UI again in order for the phone to still look the same as it does now.:)

#9 BugsBunny527

BugsBunny527
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 08:48 PM

Nice. BTW I don't need exactly HTC Sense, I just don't want to watch the ugly "flat" look of Android and Windows 8+ ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users