Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

video card upgrade help

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 colorado502

colorado502

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:04 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:40 PM

ok got this pc H8-1120 hp pavilion with an intel core i7-2600 cpu@ 3.4ghz, memory @ 8192 and a video card ge force gt 530, memory 6082. what is the biggest video card i can put on that pc?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 12:56 AM

Here's one, and it comes with free shipping! https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007709%204092

It really would be helpful if you would provide a little bit more info as to what you are specifically looking for.

What exactly do you want to be able to do? When you say biggest, it doesn't exactly narrow it down.

What does your budget allow? Are you a hard core gamer? Maybe video is your need. So, provide a bit more info & you'll probably get some suggestions unlike the one at top.

While you wait, you should perhaps have a look at the video section at the following: http://forums.extremeoverclocking.com/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#3 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:37 AM

You probably need to change power supply too.

Right now video card prices are sky high so waiting for little time will save quite a bit.

#4 colorado502

colorado502
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:57 PM

i like to game but now i'm stuck, can't play the last tomb raider, or assassin creed, video lagging. for the power supply, not a problem, will upgrade. some people told me a gt 780 but can't find anywhere, are sold out. just want to max my pc so next upgrade will be a new pc. so biggest video mean just want to upgrade it i time before i change my pc. thanks for the help

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:06 PM

The GTX780 card is not available new. You can find it used on Amazon, but why when currently there are better choices at various prices. Have a look at this recent article: http://www.pcworld.com/article/3106426/components-graphics/the-best-graphics-cards-for-pc-gaming.html

Also the link I posted earlier for ExtremeOverClocking makes for good reading. Personally, what might be a killer card for me is no guaranty it would be for you. Spend a bit of time googling & reading at reputable sites. There's a wealth of info out there.

Check what the requirements are for games. What ever the specs, go for more. The game companies are only interested in selling you games. They could really care less if your hardware can't run it. And do make sure that your current PSU will support it. Also keep in mind that today's thoroughbred will be tomorrow's candidate for pasture or the glue factory. It gets downright expensive always running the latest, greatest, fastest whatever.

When you locate a card or two you're considering, post back. Someone here may be using it & could provide some feedback.

Further Reading:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/best-gpus,4380.html   

http://www.pcgamer.com/the-best-graphics-cards/

I never make the same mistake twice....I always make it 5 or 6 times just to be sure!

#6 colorado502

colorado502
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:27 PM

ok, thanks , will do some homework, when i got something, will post it here.

#7 colorado502

colorado502
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:24 PM

ok, did some reading, came to find out that my mother board only have pci express 2.0 meaning i can only go up to gtx630. i need to find a motherboard with a lg1155 socket for my cpu i72600-3.4ghz. the only one i found so far are lg1150. am i missing something here? thanks my pc model is a  H8-1120.

#8 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:40 AM

Need bigger power supply machine for bigger cards. I have ordered v850 and a Titan XP. The price for this card is insane but I had to order it since I have to test run a few games and I was saving for almost 3 months for this card. Couldn't wait more :P

#9 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 03:41 AM

Also, please note, I am being told that I might need v1200 for this card. is this really true? According to me, If I dont use the full capacity of it, 850 would be decent for this beast. Tag on me on replies, so that I get notified. Thanks 

#10 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 419 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:36 AM

Jacobldris.....it would be best to start a new thread/post regarding your issue. If a reply is made you'll be notified most likely via your email. 

#11 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,382 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 04:48 AM

ok, did some reading, came to find out that my mother board only have pci express 2.0 meaning i can only go up to gtx630. i need to find a motherboard with a lg1155 socket for my cpu i72600-3.4ghz. the only one i found so far are lg1150. am i missing something here? thanks my pc model is a  H8-1120.

Oh yeah, forgot that HP crap motherboard does not have UEFI BIOS so PCI Express 3.0 cards would not work.

LGA1155 motherboards are hard to find. If you can find one cheaply, then go for it. Otherwise it's not bad idea to sell whole system and build new one.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users