I didn't know what hit me except that everything was normal on June 9, downloaded by bank files into my Quicken Home & Business 2015 register like I do every day, backed up in 3 places as always and NOLBU backs up 3 days a weeki. On June 12 I was downloading bank files to Quicken and nothing happened. they downloaded to my PC but Quicken won't open. I reinstalled the Software. Nothing. Click, circle, nothing. I've been unsuccessful making progressdownloading files from Norton OLBU to my PC , they download but won't open. Interestingly, I can see all my files on C , G, H, & D drive D=partition/Shadow and is inaccessible so what good is it ???? - it just eats up memory and gives me obnoxious messages about running out of memory in its drive.
TjBTW, I'm up to date. I am always up to date , I obsessively update and perform 3 backups daily depending upon the project and as soon as I receive any alert from a vendor or read about it online. The admin(?) who chastised someone for not updating may be wrong. That said, *I* did do something stupid on June 9 @ 3:30AM - I opened up an email from Amazon with an Order Link canceling another order. I receive at least 10x day from them, I'm an active participant on the site, I wasn't thinking, only aggravated that they "Canceled" [another] order,no notice or reason. I clicked on the link to see which order it was. I never click on links, not from anyone. So, in lieu of logging into my Amazon account I took the short way out which was stupid. I didn't order that thing canceled & forwarded the email to Amazon. Yes, you guessed it, the email was not send by Amazon . However they responded by advising me to: (1) change all passwords to all financial files, credit cards (2) contact my banks (3) change Amazon pw's and to (4) contact Experian etc.and keep an eye on my Credit Reports. But they said nothing else. I'd read nothing about this ransomeware. I've been searching for a month trying to find *any* information whatsoever about Quicken users being hacked and came up empty until 4PM today when I found it here on BleepingC. Norton didn't catch it, Malwarebites didn't catch it. I've not seen anything suspicious nor weired extensions nor the nomenclature such as mole listed in any directories or files. Obviously I've got this or something. I've been putting off calling Intuit or Norton for a month and finally decided to contact Norton tonight - but haven't. Found you first, I'd rather pull out my teeth out one by one than contact either one of those tech lack of support sites. Here I am. Having perused every post prior to mine, I don't understand most of it....It's extremely humbling and uncomfortable to report that " I have no idea what to do next".