Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Print Server Spooling Slowly

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 JustinDS89

JustinDS89

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

Hello,

For the past 3+ weeks our print server has been taking on average 30-60 seconds or more to print jobs sent to printer. Beforehand this only took a few seconds. I have checked event logs, restarted the spooler/server multiple times and checked hard drive integrity.

I have yet to come up with any problem/solution when looking into this.

We are running Windows Server 2008 R2.

Any help would be appreciated.

Justin

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 12:51 PM

Are the print drivers on the server up to date?

Is this only happening on a few clients, or does everyone have this issue? Look for network bottlenecks and/or cabling issues.

#3 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:01 PM

Is this only happening on a few clients, or does everyone have this issue? Look for network bottlenecks and/or cabling issues.

I have not updated the print drivers lately. This issue started happening randomly though and it worked fine previously with the same print drivers.

I have had quite a few reports of this happening all over the building, so it appears as though it's happening to everyone. I was wondering about a bottleneck myself, but not sure where the bottleneck could be if there is one.

Thanks for the response.

#4 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

I should also mention that this happens with multiple different types of printers. The printer also prints fine when installed locally over the network. This would seem to me to eliminate cabling or other bottlenecks as being the issue, but I could be wrong.

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:08 PM

So if the printer is connected directly to the client, it works fine, but if the user attempts to print over the network, it takes a long time? That would indicate there's a problem with the network traffic to and from the print server, or between the print server and the printers.

#6 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:19 PM

Yes that is correct. When setting the client to print directly to the printers IP address it works fine and it only takes a couple of seconds. If the user prints going through the print server it takes a long time.

A can ping the printers from the server and I can seem to see any delay there.

#7 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:28 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:24 PM

Hello

I am sorry to sound like a douche, but have you tried to reboot the server?

Also, out of curiosity (and a theory I am speculating on), is the print server hosted on a domain controller?

Hth!

tfn

#8 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 03:49 PM

Hello

I am sorry to sound like a douche, but have you tried to reboot the server?

Also, out of curiosity (and a theory I am speculating on), is the print server hosted on a domain controller?

Hth!

tfn

Hello,

Not a problem ha. Yes I have rebooted the server numerous times and the print spooler.

This print server is in fact hosted on a domain controller.

Thanks,

Justin

#9 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:48 PM

Hello again

My theory is that SMB signing that is forced on domain controllers limits print traffic (as well as the well known filetransfer speed problems)

Have a look at this article
https://redmondmag.com/articles/2014/05/16/network-performance-problems.aspx

If you are in a testing mood you could try to disable it
Be aware that this has security implications though and will leave you vulnerable to man in the middle attacks

tfn

#10 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

Oh okay interesting. It worked fine for a long time and then suddenly started having the delay issue.

I can try disabling it to see if that resolves the problem.

Would really like to get this fixed as it's affecting quite a few people/printers.

Thanks,

Justin

#11 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,052 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

I wouldn't recommend disabling that in prod, only in a test environment. Microsoft recently patched SMBv1 (the version that doesn't use encryption) due to EternalBlue vulnerability. That patch might also explain why print server traffic no longer works, as that relies on SMB.

Best practice is to use DCs and just domain controllers, nothing else, unless you are testing or are a really small organization. If you're large enough, might be better to stand up a separate print server.

#12 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:04 AM

I tried disabling it temporarily as a test and it didn't have any impact on the slow printing. Right, I wouldn't want to leave it that way.

Unfortunately I don't have a lot of options as far as using the domain controller only as a domain controller. It is somewhat of a multipurpose server. I'm kind of at a loss as to what is causing the printing issues that once worked fine.

Not sure this is the best way to go, but I may be able to move the print server over to our Exchange server. Also not sure the best method to transition over from one server to another with providing as little impact as possible on the users.

Thanks,

Justin

#13 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 11:56 AM

I believe I finally figured out a link to the issue we are having, but not sure how to go about resolving it.

About 3-4 weeks ago I setup a NAS that is connected directly to the second network port on the server for backup purposes. This is the about the same time the issue started happening I believe.

If I disable the second port the print jobs start running fast again as they did before.

I'm not sure if when sending a print job to the printer if once it hits the server it's attempting to use the other port or what.

Any ideas on how to resolve this?

#14 toofarnorth

toofarnorth

• Members
  • 247 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 08:56 AM

This blog contains some information that might help you.

http://blog.mpecsinc.ca/2012/01/slow-network-speeds-with-sbs-2008-and.html

tfn

#15 JustinDS89

JustinDS89
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

Appreciate the reply. I have sense sorted the issue out. I changed the second port and NAS to a different subnet and removed the default gateway I had set. This cleared up the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users