I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 about two and a half months ago. For the most part I've had no problems up until today and the last few days. I'll put them in bulletpoint.
- The network icon isn't appearing on the taskbar (started yesterday). The connection still works but I can't find a way to put the icon back on. Ordinarily I'd let this go but my inability to get it back on along with the other recent issues I've noticed have given me pause. Tried toggling the icon on and off in settings and nothing happened.
- Netflix doesn't load (noticed the last week or so). I'll click the icon and it will just be the window with the Netflix logo on it and nothing else...nothing loads. Again, not really a problem in and of itself, but considering the other issues....
- Search function doesn't work. I'll type in anything and it will just perpetually be searching without anything else happening. Shutting down Cortana in Task Manager didn't do anything.
- Microsoft Word doesn't load. It will perpetually be in 'starting up' mode.
- 'Task Host Window is preventing shutdown'. I've gotten this the last few days and it was the first of the problems I noticed. I don't know if it has anything to do with all the other nonsense or if it's a symptom or whatever.
- Control panel will not load. I will open it and it will just be a blank page with the control panel top line (I know that's not what it's called) and the search button. It will also be frozen.
- Weather tile doesn't work. It just shows the generic 'weather' tile and won't load whenever I click it.
- I checked for updates (though 10 claims to be up to date) and it is perpetually searching for updates.
- General sluggishness when I try to load the settings for computer/taskbar/etc.
So, I don't know what the problem is, or if they're all related or what. All of my other programs (Firefox, MusicBee, Discord, etc) are working well, my connection's fine...really, it is running smoothly outside of this. I don't there are any viruses though certainly I'll run a scan to make sure. I guess none of these are really 'essential' problems but I am very interested in getting them dealt with. I've had similar issues in the past (albeit with a different laptop and a different cause - faulty updates) where a handful of default programs stopped working or just started getting glitched up and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this before anything else starts going downhill. I'd also very much like to avoid the option of reinstalling Windows 10 unless I absolutely have to.
If this is a bit rambling or unhelpful, let me know and I'll try to word it better. I'm running on less than an optimal amount of sleep and I guess that's starting to kick in.