Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

List of Win10 issues that have recently popped up

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 achevy

achevy

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:17 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:41 AM

I purchased a new laptop with Windows 10 about two and a half months ago.  For the most part I've had no problems up until today and the last few days.  I'll put them in bulletpoint.

• The network icon isn't appearing on the taskbar (started yesterday).  The connection still works but I can't find a way to put the icon back on.  Ordinarily I'd let this go but my inability to get it back on along with the other recent issues I've noticed have given me pause.  Tried toggling the icon on and off in settings and nothing happened.
  • Netflix doesn't load (noticed the last week or so).  I'll click the icon and it will just be the window with the Netflix logo on it and nothing else...nothing loads.  Again, not really a problem in and of itself, but considering the other issues....
  • Search function doesn't work.  I'll type in anything and it will just perpetually be searching without anything else happening.  Shutting down Cortana in Task Manager didn't do anything.
  • Microsoft Word doesn't load.  It will perpetually be in 'starting up' mode.
  • 'Task Host Window is preventing shutdown'.  I've gotten this the last few days and it was the first of the problems I noticed.  I don't know if it has anything to do with all the other nonsense or if it's a symptom or whatever.
  • Control panel will not load.  I will open it and it will just be a blank page with the control panel top line (I know that's not what it's called) and the search button.  It will also be frozen.
  • Weather tile doesn't work.  It just shows the generic 'weather' tile and won't load whenever I click it.
  • I checked for updates (though 10 claims to be up to date) and it is perpetually searching for updates.
  • General sluggishness when I try to load the settings for computer/taskbar/etc.

So, I don't know what the problem is, or if they're all related or what.  All of my other programs (Firefox, MusicBee, Discord, etc) are working well, my connection's fine...really, it is running smoothly outside of this.  I don't there are any viruses though certainly I'll run a scan to make sure.  I guess none of these are really 'essential' problems but I am very interested in getting them dealt with.  I've had similar issues in the past (albeit with a different laptop and a different cause - faulty updates) where a handful of default programs stopped working or just started getting glitched up and I'd really like to get to the bottom of this before anything else starts going downhill.  I'd also very much like to avoid the option of reinstalling Windows 10 unless I absolutely have to.

If this is a bit rambling or unhelpful, let me know and I'll try to word it better.  I'm running on less than an optimal amount of sleep and I guess that's starting to kick in. :P

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:17 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:46 AM

For starters, try:

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#3 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:04 AM

I ran the SFC in both PowerShell and the command prompt and got the same result - "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations".

When I tried the DISM it only worked in command prompt...and even then it got stuck at 89.1% when I tried it last night.  I gave it another shot in PowerShell and the command prompt and nothing happened.

edit: apparently I can no longer use the start menu.  It takes several clicks for it to open up and when it does it's an odd, almost faded color and I can't click anything on it.  Search function won't respond either.

Edited by achevy, 08 July 2017 - 10:07 AM.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:11 AM

Were I you I would seriously consider getting my user data off that machine so that you have a backup and then reinstalling Windows 10.

What version are you on?   If this box is still on Version 1607 you could consider trying the instructions here:

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/wiki/windows_10-windows_install/how-to-upgrade-to-windows-10-creators-update/617a37da-8fc0-4f33-a3eb-59fe9082f925 

and seeing if upgrading to Version 1703 will replace the corrupted bits of Windows 10 or not.

You've got so many things going on that something's awfully wrong.  This is all the more so if DISM cannot run successfully (or, in this case, complete at all).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#5 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:21 AM

Another idea, if you have had System Restore turned on you could try restoring to a restore point from a date a few days earlier than all the problems began.

You could have had a "burp" when an update was installing that has corrupted the OS.

~ Mark Twain

#6 achevy

achevy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

I might give that a shot.  I don't know when the last update was specifically...I think it was last month but it checked on Monday and said it was up to date.

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Do not be surprised if System Restore fails for one (or more) restore points but may eventually succeed if you keep trying all that are available.   I've had a very hit-or-miss experience with System Restore, but when it works it works.

Do not stop trying restore points until you've exhausted all that are available if you have a failure with the one that's most immediately prior to your issues occurring.   Windows 10 will reapply your updates again.

That being said, if you do roll back to a good restore point I would definitely immediately try:

so that you can be sure that all of the standard OS system files are in order.  If you still can't get both to run and come back with clean results then you really should consider either using the upgrade technique I gave you the link to if you're not already on Version 1703 as a first try, and then going through the Reset with keep files, Reset with wipe, Reinstall using ISO in that order if the upgrade doesn't work or you're already on 1703.

Ideally you should definitely take a full system image backup of your existing system and a separate backup of just your user data files before doing any of the upgrade/reset bits.

Edited by britechguy, 08 July 2017 - 10:52 AM.

~ Mark Twain

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:39 PM

I have seen AV programs block System Restore from working.

Booting into Safe Mode, running System Restore, and then rebooting again into Safe Mode to let it complete works well in those cases.

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 9,746 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:33 PM

Booting into Safe Mode, running System Restore, and then rebooting again into Safe Mode to let it complete works well in those cases.

I don't doubt for one moment what you're saying.   I would hope, though, that those of us who use Windows Defender as our primary realtime antivirus/antimalware wouldn't have that problem.  I haven't had to do a system restore recently enough to know.

If you know that Windows Defender can cause problems, too, please share.

~ Mark Twain

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:17 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:16 PM

I don't doubt for one moment what you're saying.   I would hope, though, that those of us who use Windows Defender as our primary realtime antivirus/antimalware wouldn't have that problem.  I haven't had to do a system restore recently enough to know.

If you know that Windows Defender can cause problems, too, please share.

I personally have only seen it in 3rd party AV programs.

#11 dungdbaer

dungdbaer

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2017 - 12:13 AM

I can confirm every single issue listed above. Dont listen to the usual "do a sfc scannow" nonsense. It is what it is. Windows 10 ... as a (never ending) beta. The Windows 10 dev team is incompetent. I just hope the next Windows after 10 will be a more stable experience again, like 8 was. I have the above problems btw on a fresh Win 10 install, with Windows Defender [: Search btw never worked in Windows 10, it never showed anything useful at all, always missing things. This is jut unbelievable. And they never fixed any bugs I reported to them. Windows 10 is the most useless, buggy Windows ever (GUI wise). It may be the most stable Windows on the intern/kernel, but the GUI team is just incompetent. And they always introduce more bugs with every update. Mostly all UWP apps are still alpha status, Store, Settings, Edge... literally crash several times per day when I "use them stressfully".

Edited by dungdbaer, 03 August 2017 - 12:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users