Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sending HEX data to USB printer

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DuanePOS

DuanePOS

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:35 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:01 AM

Hello,

I am testing a new model USB connected printer.  In order to get it to properly print barcodes that I need, I was instructed to send it a rather long hex string.  I have found tools to assist iwth this task for old LPT and Serial connected units, but nothing for USB.  I am also not able to find a lot of information on this topic elsewhere.  I have tried the copy con command through cmd to no affect. 

Any guidance on how to do this (or if somebody could point me to a tool) that would be awesome.  

Thank You!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Assuming you have software to generate barcodes on your computer(s) would it not be just as effective to do a test print of some barcodes ?

Admitting that I am working from general principles rather than detailed knowledge of barcodes, are they not just patterns generated on your computer with the patterns then being sent to the printer for printing ?  The pattern could equally well be a text document, a technical drawing or a photo. the printer drivers in the computer convert whatever the pattern is to instructions to the printer to lay down a corresponding pattern of ink blobs or toner depending on the printer.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 DuanePOS

DuanePOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:10 PM

Assuming you have software to generate barcodes on your computer(s) would it not be just as effective to do a test print of some barcodes ?

Admitting that I am working from general principles rather than detailed knowledge of barcodes, are they not just patterns generated on your computer with the patterns then being sent to the printer for printing ?  The pattern could equally well be a text document, a technical drawing or a photo. the printer drivers in the computer convert whatever the pattern is to instructions to the printer to lay down a corresponding pattern of ink blobs or toner depending on the printer.

Chris Cosgrove

I wish it was so simple Chris.  The printer is physically able to print barcodes from my software if I trick it using the driver set of a different printer.  I run into some formatting issues that way and things just look worse.  The hardware manufacturer insists that the HEX programming is the answer, but the lack of available knowledge on the topic has been an issue.  They offered me their tool, but it is completely in Chinese which I do not speak, nor read.  

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

What is the make and model of the printer?

#5 DuanePOS

DuanePOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:15 PM

It is not your average desktop.  It is a thermal receipt printer (for stores and restaurants) from the company OSCAN.  Standard USB connection.  

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:18 PM

It is not your average desktop.  It is a thermal receipt printer (for stores and restaurants) from the company OSCAN.  Standard USB connection.  

That's fine.

What is the model number and firmware version?

What computer operating system is communicating with the printer?

Edited by jwoods301, 07 July 2017 - 06:22 PM.

#7 DuanePOS

DuanePOS
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

That's fine.

What is the model number and firmware version?

What computer operating system is communicating with the printer?

I believe the specific model is the OSCAN T-80 Thermal receipt printer. 

I am not sure on the firmware version, I can update on Monday when I get back to the office.

The OS is Windows 10 Professional

Thanks!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,102 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:35 PM

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:31 PM

How good are your programming skills ?  I found this MS article which may be relevant -

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/322090/how-to-send-raw-data-to-a-printer-by-using-visual-basic-.net

The source of the link was here -

https://www.experts-exchange.com/questions/21528821/Send-HEX-Byte-to-Printer-Port.html

I cannot find anything like an instruction manual for this printer. You may have to get the Chinese tool. It should not be too difficult to use if it is designed for your printer, if you are really lucky there will be an obvious place to insert your code, then press 'Enter'. Being lucky may be too much to hope for, but there is always Google Translate.

I also noticed that there are other makers of these printers, Epson and Brother to name just two. These companies tend to be a bit more forthcoming with technical information, might be worth your while seeing if you can download one of their manuals since Hex programming seems to be quite common with these devices. Another line of attack might be to see if you know anybody else who uses these devices - ask them how they set them up.

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users