Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

iTunes and The Beatles

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

This is kind-of a cross-platform topic, so I decided to post it here, not too sure if it's the most suitable sub-forum, though.

Hey, I am just wondering is the song "Baby, you're a rich man" by The Beatles on iTunes? If so, how much does it cost to download to your phone and listen whenever you want?

I can't really make my way through iTunes (if that is even the right place to look for this song if you are on an Apple device), so I would like the help of someone more knowledgeable on this issue. Would be greatly appreciated!:)

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I don't use iTunes, but after a simple Google search it seems that you can buy the song for $1.29 if you live in the USA.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/magical-mystery-tour/id401144331

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#3 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:49 AM

Nice! Thank you.:)

BTW, can I just buy this song or does it have to be the whole album, does it say?

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:01 AM

Or you could just buy a CD of Magical Mystery Tour! from eBay or elsewhere and digitize it yourself.

It is entirely legal to digitize CDs you own for personal use just like it's legal (though seldom done anymore) to copy from a legally owned album on one medium to another medium strictly for personal use.

The courts (at least in the United States) figured out long ago that it was ridiculous to say to someone, "Oh, you own [insert album X here] on CD, but if you want it on [insert alternate media here] you've now got to buy it again on that media."

Your mileage may vary depending on where you live in the world and what the law (or lack thereof) is there.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:21 AM

My understanding is that you can just purchase the one song if you would like to. If you use this link:

https://www.amazon.com/Magical-Mystery-Tour-Beatles/dp/B01929HVT2/ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=1499444250&sr=1-12

You can just buy that one song from Amazon. And of course, as Brian has pointed out, you can purchase the physical CD and transpose it yourself to digital. I myself have every single Beatles CD and vinyl downloaded into my digital collection at a very high quality level.

(Unfortunately I can not share with anybody because it is against the law.)

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:59 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:37 AM

Rocky Bennett wrote, of his digitized collection of Beatles music, or selections:  (Unfortunately I can not share with anybody because it is against the law.)

Awww, pleeeeeease!   Just this once!   ;-)   [I hope the smiley is disclaimer enough to indicate I'm not actually breaking forum rules.]

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#7 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:15 PM

I see. Thank you both for the information! I quite enjoy that Apple Music's library comes with a very good audio quality, unlike the websites where I usually listen to music, such as YouTube or Vimeo (both of which have very few Beatles songs).:)

#8 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:34 PM

I see. Thank you both for the information! I quite enjoy that Apple Music's library comes with a very good audio quality, unlike the websites where I usually listen to music, such as YouTube or Vimeo (both of which have very few Beatles songs). :)

Did you read my last post? Therein lies the answer!!!!

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:41 PM

I see. Thank you both for the information! I quite enjoy that Apple Music's library comes with a very good audio quality, unlike the websites where I usually listen to music, such as YouTube or Vimeo (both of which have very few Beatles songs). :)

Did you read my last post? Therein lies the answer!!!!

Yes, my friend. I didn't write my last comment to be intended as a question. I thank you for your help and the information that you provided.:thumbup2:

#10 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 26 July 2017 - 10:04 PM

Apparently Apple's iTunes recognizes that I do not have it installed, so it doesn't show me the prices for the songs or the albums there. Kind of weird that you can only see the offers after you buy an i-device.

Can anyone tell me how much does it cost to download "Peter Gabriel - Big Time" or the whole album, named "Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats (Remastered)" ?:)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/big-time/id986876100?i=986881006

Ironic that the song goes like "But not me. I'm smarter than that. I worked it out.", yet I can't seem to work it out around the iTunes store and from where could I see the price-tags...:lmao:

#11 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 12:41 PM

Apparently Apple's iTunes recognizes that I do not have it installed, so it doesn't show me the prices for the songs or the albums there. Kind of weird that you can only see the offers after you buy an i-device.

Can anyone tell me how much does it cost to download "Peter Gabriel - Big Time" or the whole album, named "Shaking the Tree: Sixteen Golden Greats (Remastered)" ? :)

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/big-time/id986876100?i=986881006

Ironic that the song goes like "But not me. I'm smarter than that. I worked it out.", yet I can't seem to work it out around the iTunes store and from where could I see the price-tags... :lmao:

How come you chose iTunes over the link that I provided? The link that I provided has a much a higher sound quality and it is DRM free. It is totally portable.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#12 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hey, I have 2 reasons why that is the case.

Because the main idea behind my query, is that I am researching a potential future purchase of mine for an iPhone 5S on the next Black Friday in November. So, I want to know how things are working with the iTunes store, both in terms of functionality and price. And I want to see how much does my favorite music cost, but I am unable to do that as I am using a Windows computer right now.

The second reason is kinda weird, given that Amazon is consistently in the top 10 most visited websites in the world - I find it super cluttered. I can't wrap my head around how do so many people successfully use it on a daily basis. Whenever I go on Amazon, I am presented with a huge chunk of relatively meaningless text, non-properly-aligned with pictures of lower quality mixed with some higher resolution ones. At that point my mind is already exhausted. I want to search to buy, for example, the iPhone 5S that I mentioned earlier. I type into the search bar, hit Enter and am presented with scores of pages of products loosely related to an actual Apple-produced iPhone 5S. Heck, I even got a diaper once on the first page of those results... Even after refinement of the search inquiry I find it hard to understand the website. I was looking for a brand new iPhone 5S factory-unlocked, off-contract, 16GB, in Silver and I put in all the filters, yet I got some obscure search results, such as screen protectors for the iPhone. I don't know about you, but I haven't heard of screen protectors with 16GB of flash memory. :lmao: When I finally found what appeared to be the product I was looking for and seemed legit, the picture below which says, 'Certified Refurbished Smartphones', confused me, since in the filter options, under condition, I had put in, 'New'. Now I wasn't sure whether this is just an ad on the Amazon website, urging me to search for refurbished iPhones at a lower price, or does it mean that the device I am looking at in this very listing is refurbished, even though both the description and the title point otherwise. At this point, I become too overwhelmed and quit using Amazon.
It's safe to say that when it comes to technologies, I prefer shopping directly from the manufacturer. :)

With Apple, in contrast, I was able to find the songs and albums, that I wanted, in about 30 seconds to 1 minute. The only downside there, as you have found out by now, is that the price-tags are not shown to me.

I hope this clears up my thoughts, mate. :) ...But seriously, I can't understand how come I can't seem to navigate my way around Amazon.com, even though millions of people do it non-stop. I guess, it's just me.

DURM-40AF85E91DAEB81F._CB527929201_.jpg

Edited by Just_One_Question, 27 July 2017 - 02:22 PM.

#13 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 02:35 PM

Yeah, that might be just you. I just did a search for an iphone 5s and got back the exact results that I would expect.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_2?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=iphone+5s

I use Amazon a lot for everything, their website is very clean, easy to navigate, and their selection is very good. They have the cleanest website of any any marketplace on the internet, and there is never any clutter or unnecessary ads on their website.

Also, I use Windows 10 and it is so easy to install and use iTunes that I have done it for all of my friends and family. iTunes works very well on Windows ever since at least Windows XP. iTunes makes a great music player for Windows that has instant access to all of the media and store options that iTunes offers, that is why so many people use iTunes on their Windows computers.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#14 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,667 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 03:16 PM

I just installed iTunes on an extra Windows 8.1 machine I have. This link will work for Windows 7, 8, 8.1 and Windows 10.

https://www.apple.com/itunes/download/

If it does not install, then maybe you have a virus or a bug. I only say that because of the way that you describe Amazon.com. Amazon is the cleanest, most clutter free websites on the internet, so maybe you have an issue with your PC if;

1. You can not install iTunes

2. Amazon is difficult to manage.

Please install iTunes and report back.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#15 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  

Posted 27 July 2017 - 04:18 PM

Yeah, that might be just you. I just did a search for an iphone 5s and got back the exact results that I would expect.

I have literally put in via the site's official filters, not its search bar, that I am looking, in the Cell Phones & Accessories category, in its sub-category Cell Phones, for an unlocked iPhone 5S, with 16GB of memory, a 4.0 to 4.4 inches display, using iOS and being in New condition and am getting 31 results, sorted by price, from lowest to highest. Out of those 31 results only 5 offers do not contradict my search filters - look at how many iPhone 5c and used iPhone 5s listings I was offered, even though I specifically stated that I am looking for a brand new iPhone 5s, not tied to a specific carrier. That is a success rate of just 16.13%.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_n_feature_keywords_2?fst=as%3Aoff%2Cp90x%3A1&rh=n%3A2335752011%2Cn%3A7072561011%2Cn%3A2407749011%2Ck%3AiPhones+5s%2Cp_n_feature_seven_browse-bin%3A6215728011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_three_browse-bin%3A7805165011%2Cp_n_condition-type%3A6503240011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_four_browse-bin%3A6787348011&keywords=iPhones+5s&ie=UTF8&qid=1501188743&rnid=6787345011

their website is very clean

Compare Amazon's supposed cleanliness to www.Google.com or to Berkshire Hathaway. This is a clutter-free website. Amazon.com could give you migraine as compared to them. Why does it have so many banners on the top, bottom, side, everywhere, and all those annoying reviews? Just use the 5-star rating system to express your views on the product, a detailed description of the product's specs, some photos and a big button with the price in it, saying 'Buy'. With all that other information that Amazon gives you, it becomes the online rendition of an annoying salesman who doesn't seem to shut up and simply leave you to check out the product yourself.

iTunes works very well on Windows ever since at least Windows XP. iTunes makes a great music player for Windows that has instant access to all of the media and store options that iTunes offers, that is why so many people use iTunes on their Windows computers.

I didn't know that you could use iTunes in Windows - thought it was locked down to only Apple products. Nice! I was just using the website iTunes, where they don't show the prices of their offerings. I'm glad you told me that, thanks!

This seems to be one of those situations where we both look at the same thing and have 2 completely different views. :lmao: For what it's worth, I think that we are in a win-win situation here. You can use e-marketplaces, such as Amazon, all you want. I cannot navigate through them and prefer the human approach, so I go offline when buying stuff. Literally, people like me and people like you live in a symbiosis, since we both lower the traffic of one another's shops, which makes it that much more of a breeze buying stuff from there. The lines are shorter at mine, the buffering time is shorter at yours. :)

PRokZYR_700wa_0.gif

Edited by Just_One_Question, 27 July 2017 - 04:23 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users