Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer not turning on, fans run and then stop after a few seconds

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Gioz

Gioz

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:56 AM

Good day or evening. I am making this post today to communicate an issue I had today. As I as using my computer, it turned off suddenly, and if I tried to turn it back on, the fans would start, but no lights would turn on, and after a few seconds, the the fans would turn back off. Confused by this, I opened the computer and found some small roaches inside. I cleaned the best I could, but I've been unable to remove what I'm guessing is the ventilation of the computer. At the time of the writing of this post, I decided to wait until tomorrow so I can buy a smaller screwdriver and clean the rest. Question is, is there anything else I should be doing? What would be the best course of action to take next time I sit down to continue working on the computer? The computer is an Asus ROG G20.

Thank you for your time, and I appreciate the potential help. Have a good day

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,567 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:18 AM

I've been unable to remove what I'm guessing is the ventilation of the computer

Welcome to Bleeping Computer, I see that this is your 1st post.

Before anything else, may I suggest that you tread very carefully here; be absolutely sure what you are doing before you start removing things. Please detail exactly what it is you want to remove, post a picture if possible. This is especially true with regard to retail computers; many of the components are custom-built and installed and can be damaged easily. There is no single part that is called the "ventilation", unless you are talking about one of the case fans. Do not attempt to remove the CPU heatsink and fan; you can easily damage the actual computer chip if you are not experienced with this.

An easy way to clean the interior is to take the computer out on the rear porch, remove the side cover, and use a vacuum cleaner with reversed air flow (blowing out) and a crevice tool to  blow out the dust. Do not touch anything, just use the flow of air to clean the fins and other fans. As an alternative, you can use a can of compressed air to do the same thing, just do not allow water/ice to condense on anything when using it.

If this computer is still under warranty the first thing is to follow up with the retail store you purchase it from, and if their immediate return time is past, contact Asus themselves.  Be careful not to void your warranty by removing anything, they get very picky about that. Sometimes even removing the side cover can void a warranty, so check it out.

So, at this point, will the computer not boot at all, just the fans start and the unit immediately shuts down? Nothing on the monitor?  Do you get the normal system "beep" when you first power-on?  Is there a motherboard light and does it light up when power is on?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users