Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virtual machine setup problem

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 bluecherry

bluecherry

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:55 PM

Hello. I've spent . . . weeks now working on trying to figure out how to set up Windows XP in a virtual machine in order to run an old program of mine that simply refuses to run on this Windows 10 machine. I apologize profusely if my question is one that is already answered elsewhere. I have clinical depression that makes it very difficult for me to focus (hence why it has been weeks and I haven't gotten this done yet), so I am at my wit's end by this point trying to figure out where I need to look for various information required to accomplish this task. The information may be easily and clearly available, but just the process of locating it is giving me a headache. Hopefully if somebody can just bring the information to me instead of me going to the information I can finally get this done.

I have downloaded the most recent version of VirtualBox. I opened it up and hit the "new" button. I named the virtual machine and set it to "Windows" and "XP 32 bit". (The Windows disc I have is from a 32bit computer, though current computer I'm using is 64bit.) I made sure I gave it enough RAM and created a virtual hard disk using the default recommended amount of 10 gigabytes and set it to take up the whole 10 up front rather than working its way up the the maximum 10. I picked a format type from the list of acceptable ones for the virtual hard disk to be saved as. Under the storage setting I set it to look at the (host) computer's CD drive. With that all done, I opened up the virtual machine and put in the CD with my Windows XP operating system on it. The virtual machine's window tells me there's no operating system and asks me about doing a recovery process, so I do so to install the operating system telling it to look at the CD drive. It goes through with doing this and 40 minutes later it says it is done and just needs to restart the system and so I go along with that. But then, after it goes to restart, the virtual machine's window is just black, empty. I wait and wait and nothing happens. I tried closing the virtual machine and reopening it. When I open it I get that black screen with the text about the system not having shut down properly and counting down asking if I want to restart normally or in safe mode. Whether I hit "enter" to start normally or just let it finish counting down though, nothing happens. It just stays on that screen. I tried this multiple times. I then tried deleting the virtual machine and going through the whole process making a new one and the same thing happened again. I'm trying to determine what I've done wrong and how to fix this.

If anybody can help me here, I would strongly appreciate it. I've been trying to follow the VirtualBox manual, but see nothing about this issue. At this point, I feel like I'm being tortured by a machine.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 12:33 AM

Rather than setting up a virtual machine for just one program, you might consider running it in Compatibility Mode in Windows 10...

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

#3 bluecherry

bluecherry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:15 AM

Rather than setting up a virtual machine for just one program, you might consider running it in Compatibility Mode in Windows 10...

https://www.howtogeek.com/228689/how-to-make-old-programs-work-on-windows-10/

That has most assuredly already been tried and failed.

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:36 AM

These steps might be easier to use...

https://lifehacker.com/5204434/the-beginners-guide-to-creating-virtual-machines-with-virtualbox

#5 bluecherry

bluecherry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Unfortunately, this has not solved my problem. The guide seems a bit outdated being made in 2009 for an older version of VirtualBox and mentioning some things which are no longer there. I did read through it though and it seems, as best as I can tell from the different versions of the program involved, that either my problem is coming from something else or it is coming from something to do with the things that have changed between that version and this version that I can't use that guide to verify if I'm doing correctly or not.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:03 PM

Lots of other guides online...

https://www.google.com/search?q=best+virtual+machine+for+novice+user&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8#q=how+to+install+windows+xp+in+virtualbox+on+windows+10

You might consider setting up a dual-boot system...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/wiki/insider_wintp-insider_install/how-to-dual-boot-windows-10-and-older-versions-of/9695dfc7-1c13-4d8d-b10b-587e78c6ac36

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 01:02 PM

If the user wants to have access to the program while Windows 10 is running, dual-booting isn't an option.

Go through your process and make sure you are following all the steps. I've not encountered that problem when setting up a VM in VirtualBox, which leads me to believe you might be leaving something out:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E26796/html/qs-create-vm.html

#8 bluecherry

bluecherry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:38 PM

If the user wants to have access to the program while Windows 10 is running, dual-booting isn't an option.

Go through your process and make sure you are following all the steps. I've not encountered that problem when setting up a VM in VirtualBox, which leads me to believe you might be leaving something out:

https://docs.oracle.com/cd/E26217_01/E26796/html/qs-create-vm.html

There are some things I use that don't seem to function on Windows XP which I'd rather not have to stop accessing while using my old program, so dual booting is indeed not a very good solution for me.

I opened up the linked to instructions, but immediately ran into a problem. This seems to be a little out of date. It references something right at the start called "Oracle VDI", which seems to stand for Oracle's "Virtual Desktop Infrastructure" ("On the host where you installed Oracle VDI and VirtualBox, . . ."), and that was discontinued back in March of this year. That explains why I never saw it mentioned before, being discontinued, but I'm not sure now how that impacts the accuracy of this guide for what currently needs to be done with the most recent version of VirtualBox to get it running correctly. It mentions, for example later when setting up RAM allotments, "On the Memory step, you can simply accept the default. This is the amount of host memory (RAM) that VirtualBox assigns to the virtual machine when it runs. You can change the settings of the virtual machine later, when you import the template into Oracle VDI." It also says "On the Virtual Hard Disk step, ensure Start-up Disk is selected (see Figure 6.7) , select Create new hard disk and click Next." There is no such check box in this version of VirtualBox. I'm going through all the steps again though, ignoring the part about Oracle VDI and that check box, just in case they don't matter and the rest of the guide works still. Currently getting the operating system installed from the CD again. This will take about 40 minutes. I'll see if the results are any different this time.

#9 bluecherry

bluecherry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 05:12 PM

Nope! Same thing happened again.

#10 Pimptech

Pimptech

• Malware Study Hall Senior
  • 253 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 AM

Posted 17 July 2017 - 01:04 AM

Some things you should test:

• [Guest->Settings->System] Is IO/APIC enabled ? If yes, try disable it.
  • [Guest->Settings->System] Give us a print of you guest configuration ?
  • [Guest->Settings->Storage] Is you controller SATA or IDE ?
  • Right click on Guest->Show log... Attach the last log.

Regards.

#11 bluecherry

bluecherry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 22 July 2017 - 03:22 AM

I should update this now. I hadn't seen that somebody else had posted here after several days of nothing. I spoke to somebody who has used virtual machines quite a bit. They told me that using recovery disks tends to be much more difficult to get working because they often have particular drivers or something like that meant for the specific computer they came with. I was advised to try an iso of a more generic version of Windows XP. Using such an iso I got the thing up and running with no trouble.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users