Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Distorted noise replay NOT COMPUTER RELATED

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 hogesinwa

hogesinwa

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  
  • Location:Crossed the Atlantic, via Havana. Now in Tampa Bay area for a while.
  • Local time:01:54 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:45 PM

Hi,  This is not about a computer or software or anything like that.  I'm posting here because I can't find any other avenue to explore, mostly because I can't frame the question correctly.  Also, I am assuming that the cast of thousands on this site are multi-talented with respect to technical knowledge and will either know what I am looking for or hang out with people who do.

I want to work out how to take loud music emanating from next door and replay it with a fraction of a second delay, or even a second delay or whatever.  In other words, I want to take what they are generating and return it.  You can see where this comes from of course.

I don't want to wait 8 hours and then play opera or polka etc.  I want it to be exactly whatever they are playing, no more, no less.

So if anyone has any insights as to where I can go to learn if this is possible I'd be pleased to take advice.

thanks

Hoges

Edited by hogesinwa, 06 July 2017 - 09:46 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 EmpressTrudy

EmpressTrudy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:15 PM

Why not pump it back through an analog reverb and a ring modulator. A mike, a reverb, a ring modulator, an amp and some speakers

#3 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,181 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:54 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:35 AM

The laws of physics will present you with a number of challenges trying to do something like that. The biggest hurdle would be the simple fact that in order for sound in your location to be audible over there, it would also have to be extremely loud. Far louder in fact than the annoying sound you are hearing. So any device you were trying to use to pick up and amplify their sound would just hear the output from your speaker, and give howling feedback.

Even if you had space and equipment to have a highly directional microphone and a very directional PA horn as far away from each other as possible, there's another problem with the idea.

When they play loud music, if you are able, set music playing just as loud at your place, and check how much of their music you can still hear when you're close to your music. Chances are theirs will be pretty much drowned out by your own music. The effect on them will be the same. They're up close to their own loud music, which for them, will overpower sound coming in from elsewhere. Especially if it's the same music just delayed slightly. Probably all they would notice would be a brief repeat of the last note when each song finished, like an echo.

Edited by Platypus, 07 July 2017 - 02:38 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#4 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Thanks for the education on this.  I had hoped it would be simple, but then I suppose that if it was, everyone would do it.  Would be a great invention if someone could make one the same size as one of those Dog Bark things.

I guess it's going to be power tools at 8:01am in the alley between the houses? 

Thanks again for the help.

#5 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,809 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:44 AM

Thanks for the education on this.  I had hoped it would be simple, but then I suppose that if it was, everyone would do it.  Would be a great invention if someone could make one the same size as one of those Dog Bark things.

I guess it's going to be power tools at 8:01am in the alley between the houses? 

Thanks again for the help.

Of course they have invented this device, but as was clearly pointed out because of the laws of physics it will be big and expensive. But it is doable.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:03 PM

There is always the option of getting the local constabulary involved whether or not there are noise ordinances, but you have a better chance if there are.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

. . . the presumption of innocence, while essential in the legal realm, does not mean the elimination of common sense outside it.  The willing suspension of disbelief has its limits, or should.

~ Ruth Marcus,  November 10, 2017, in Washington Post article, Bannon is right: It’s no coincidence The Post broke the Moore story

#7 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:59 PM

There is always the option of getting the local constabulary involved whether or not there are noise ordinances, but you have a better chance if there are.

The Plods have enough on their plate dealing with the social misfits robbing houses.  They would be disinclined to investigate this.  On the positive side, my daughter reports that 3 houses around us are for sale so perhaps my problem will be gone by the time I return.  One can hope!

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,005 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:41 PM

There is always the dread possibility that these three houses are the three houses on the other sides from your noisy neighbour ! 

It's either make sure the noise generators are one of the three or add your house to the three for sale.

Chris Cosgrove

I am going to be away until about the 22nd October. Time on-line will be reduced and my internet access may be limited. PMs may not be replied to as quickly as normal !

#9 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:54 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:56 PM

On the positive side, my daughter reports that 3 houses around us are for sale so perhaps my problem will be gone by the time I return.  One can hope!

But what if you are actually in a movie-worthy drama scenario in which the intruders want to make your house the 4th one on your block to become on sale and won't stop until you list the property!?:lmao:

The_Scream.jpg

#10 hogesinwa

hogesinwa
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 113 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:33 PM

Haha.  Love it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users