Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No device drivers were found" error when re-installing windows 7

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Romaunt

Romaunt

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:05 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:13 PM

Had to remove my main hard drive because it failed completely, so I was trying to reinstall windows 7 on my new hdd, and kept getting this error
Tried with both a cd and a USB drive, neither work
Can provide specs for my pc too if necessary
Any help is appreciated

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Romaunt

Romaunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:16 PM

Bump

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 05:30 PM

Usually means there are missing files on the installation media...

Where did you get the CD and USB drive?

Did you format and partition the hard drive, or just format?

Edited by jwoods301, 07 July 2017 - 05:31 PM.

#4 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:05 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:17 PM

Hi. . .

Download a new Windows 7 ISO directly from Microsoft - https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows7

Use an app like ImgBurn to burn the ISO to DVD or USB - http://www.imgburn.com/

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#5 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:32 PM

John,

Unfortunately, the Windows 7 ISO download site will only work for retail versions.

Edited by hamluis, 12 July 2017 - 03:22 PM.

#6 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:38 PM

Had to remove my main hard drive because it failed completely, so I was trying to reinstall windows 7 on my new hdd, and kept getting this error
Tried with both a cd and a USB drive, neither work
Can provide specs for my pc too if necessary
Any help is appreciated

To see if you can download the Windows 7 ISO from Microsoft, first check your Product Key by doing the following...

Download and run the free tool ShowKeyPlus...

https://github.com/Superfly-Inc/ShowKeyPlus/releases

Since you don't have Windows installed yet, you will need to install it on a working system, and click on Check Product Key.

Enter "your" Windows 7 Product Key.

If OEM shows for the EULA type, you do not have a retail version.

Edited by jwoods301, 07 July 2017 - 08:42 PM.

#7 Romaunt

Romaunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:31 AM

Usually means there are missing files on the installation media...

Where did you get the CD and USB drive?

Did you format and partition the hard drive, or just format?

Originally got this install disk from a friend of mine, so the disk is most likely not legitimate, and the USB I ordered from a retailer to initially do a fresh install of windows 7 but my hard drive failed right after I had gotten it
Worth it to just go buy a new copy from the Microsoft store directly?

Edited by Romaunt, 08 July 2017 - 09:34 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:48 PM

If your computer still has the COA sticker with a legible key download the COEM version of your Windows 7 using this tool. If your computer had a retail version of Windows 7 and you do not have the retail key because of the hard drive failure you may still be able to pull it if you can recover the Software Hive on the failed disk. Connect the disk to another computer using a USB adapter similar to this one.

Look for the SOFTWARE hive in Windows\System32\config. If you cannot pull the SOFTWARE hive in config look in Windows\System32\config\Regback.

Once you have the SOFTWARE hive copied download produkey. Recover your key from the SOFTWARE hive and use that in the link jcgriff provided.

img_582a223ad3214.png

Your Hard Drive letter may be different than in the below image. If it cannot pull the key from your Windows directory of the failed drive then select Load the product keys from external Software Registry hive and browse to the Software Hive in Windows\System32\config\

regback. I am not sure if produkey attempts to read the hive in both config and regback.

img_582a228f9eda0.png

#9 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,109 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:38 PM

See if you can get a replacement DVD from your system manufacturer first - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/3716-oem-microsoft-windows-replacement-media-os-dvds.html

Last time I checked, the average cost was about $30.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015
Microsoft Windows Insider MVP 2018 - Present

#10 Romaunt

Romaunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:20 PM

See if you can get a replacement DVD from your system manufacturer first - https://www.sysnative.com/forums/windows-7-windows-vista/3716-oem-microsoft-windows-replacement-media-os-dvds.html

Last time I checked, the average cost was about $30.

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

I'm guessing I can't do this if I have a custom built pc?

Edited by Romaunt, 08 July 2017 - 10:21 PM.

#11 Romaunt

Romaunt
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 10:23 PM

If your computer still has the COA sticker with a legible key download the COEM version of your Windows 7 using this tool. If your computer had a retail version of Windows 7 and you do not have the retail key because of the hard drive failure you may still be able to pull it if you can recover the Software Hive on the failed disk. Connect the disk to another computer using a USB adapter similar to this one.

Look for the SOFTWARE hive in Windows\System32\config. If you cannot pull the SOFTWARE hive in config look in Windows\System32\config\Regback.

Once you have the SOFTWARE hive copied download produkey. Recover your key from the SOFTWARE hive and use that in the link jcgriff provided.

img_582a223ad3214.png

Your Hard Drive letter may be different than in the below image. If it cannot pull the key from your Windows directory of the failed drive then select Load the product keys from external Software Registry hive and browse to the Software Hive in Windows\System32\config\
regback. I am not sure if produkey attempts to read the hive in both config and regback.

img_582a228f9eda0.png

Unfortunately I don't have one of those adapters :/

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,019 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 07:33 AM

Reinstall the the bad drive if it has been removed.  Make a boot disk from the Parted Magic iso and follow this guide to copy the Software Hive to a flash drive.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users