Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Your Opinion On This Company Cyber Security Solution

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 fxdude

fxdude

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:02 PM

Recently came across BitCrime ian elite Eastern European cyber security lab, located in Sofia (Bulgaria), that collects and analyzes big data from the cyber underground and open sources, thus allowing for cross checking. Their data collection uses unique proprietary techniques, many automated, which allows them to correlate and produce a clear global image of anything they investigate.

Their process is fed into an integrated platform, where trends are easily identified, thus providing data for both reactive and preemptive security models.

They claim to understand the infiltrated underground and can properly interpret not only data and intelligence, but also the motivations behind an attack.

Their latest solution is pitchfork bitcrime a platform that allows you to check if your password has been breached online in any database

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:14 PM

Holy cow! My country was mentioned on BC!

4RZBNpR_700wa_0.gif

I'm sorry though, I can't help you as I am not all that knowledgeable on this topic, but can tell you that Bulgarian cyber-security firms are usually run by well-informed and thoughtful people who do their job just right.:)

#3 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:52 PM

I am always skeptical of such claims, until it is supported by real-world data and independent review.

This site will tell you (free of charge) whether your email address or user name has been pwned.

https://haveibeenpwned.com/

Edited by jwoods301, 06 July 2017 - 05:55 PM.

#4 fxdude

fxdude
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:10 AM

@jwoods

I know about that one to, pitchfork bitcrime is equally free as well, more accurately you can check just your password instead as well

#5 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:35 AM

I for one would never enter any of my passwords into anything but the associated account.

What if they are collecting passphrases and associated IP's. Think what you could do scares me and I am useless on a pc linux or windows specially a new company that not much is known. I'd always edge on the side of caution till more is known and a company has proven to be trustworthy.

#6 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:53 AM

But why would they limit the searches to 5 per day at maximum, then? Sounds counter-productive if they were a criminal organization. Or maybe that's what they want us to think...

L0jP2LC.gif

#7 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:25 AM

I'm not saying they are criminal just new and as yet unproven either way. I've known a seemingly legit company to offer things and all along they were stealing and collecting the data for use in another criminal enterprise which they got caught for and went to the slammer. So all I'm saying is be careful that's all anything new treat with care.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:35 PM

@jwoods

I know about that one to, pitchfork bitcrime is equally free as well, more accurately you can check just your password instead as well

Actually, that doesn't seem to be too valuable, as the password needs to be paired with a user id.

If I had a really bad password such as 123456789, there could be millions of results.

However, checking a user id like "puppymonkeybaby07172017" would narrow down the results.

And as mentioned, I would not provide both.

Are you associated with this company?

#9 GoofProg

GoofProg

• Banned
  • 224 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:38 PM

I dunno.. I'm American.. to me it sounds like some system set up through Parliament.  Here in the US, the security firms are really rare.  Um.  Most online services have this log system.  Yeah.  There are logging mechanisms and I would not trust what a third party says.  Security cannot always be trusted.

#10 JacobIdris

JacobIdris

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 09:26 AM

Never heard of it bro. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users