Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Install Multiple Programs With Just One Restart?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 yardcat

yardcat

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:18 AM

BTW, I love this forum!

Question: Can one intall a whole bunch of programs before restarting the PC and that way finalize the installation of the whole group at the same time? Can this usually be done, and if not, what kinds of possible 'conflicts' or errors might occur.

did a search of the T&T forum area and of the Tutorials but found nothing that could enlighten me on what is happening during this 'restarting' procedure. Can someone give a very brief explaination of what happens during the restart phase of software installation, or point me to a resource of some kind?

Thanks, yardcat

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 02:05 PM

If you are going to install many applications and updates that require a restart, you can "batch" these. If you are given the option to either "restart now" or "wait until later", you may (within reason, that is) install several applicatins (or patches) and then restart your computer to complete their installation (obviously they will not function until you do so) into the Windows operating system files.
Cheers,
John
For further reading:

"Installing a Graphical Identification and Authentication dynamic link library (GINA) requires a reboot. The GINA is a replaceable DLL component that is loaded by Winlogon. The GINA implements the authentication policy of the interactive logon model, and it is expected to perform all identification and authentication user interactions. For example, replacement GINA DLLs can implement smart card, retinal scan, or other authentication mechanisms in place of the standard Windows XP user name and password authentication."

http://www.microsoft.com/winlogo/software/windowsxp-sw.mspx

See also, under the section "Why reboot?" another discussion of what takes place when you have to reboot to complete installation of applications:

http://www.exodus-dev.com/products/whyreboot/

Edited by jgweed, 12 September 2006 - 02:37 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:20 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 08:32 AM

The problem with waiting to reboot after installing multiple new aps is that if you have a problem, which sometimes happens, you won't know which ap caused it.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 16 September 2006 - 09:26 AM

I agree with Enthusiast - the more stuff you put in, the more chance there is for a problem to crop up.

For example, suppose the second program that you installed overwrote the file that the first program was going to use during the reboot? The changes required for the first program might not get implemented - and may cause strange problems.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users