Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Randomly Losing Internet Connection

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Andersson

Andersson

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 04:10 AM

Hi, as you may have guessed I'm posting because I have a problem that I'd like to ask for help with.

I have an adsl modem connection and no router. And for some reason I lose connection randomly (sometimes it works for hours, sometimes for minutes). When that happens all I have to is reboot the computer (not the modem) and it starts working until next time.
ipconfig /release -> /renew doesn't work because it says it can't connect to the DHCP server.

Could it be my network card, my modem or some sort of virus/spyware maybe?

If anyone has had similar problems or know what the cause may be, please reply.

Thanks ahead
//Andersson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 06:13 PM

Whenever this happens, have you tried going to your network connections and repairing the connection? Of course, this wouldn't explain the problem... I think most computers renew a ip address every twenty-four hours, so it may just be failing to renew it's address. So If it's fixed by repairing the connection (or disconnecting the network and reconnecting) we are just going to assume it's something like that.

#3 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 01:28 AM

Thanks for the reply. I've tried both. When I repair it gets stuck on renewing IP, and when I reconnect the cable it doesn't start working either. :thumbsup:

Edited by Andersson, 13 September 2006 - 01:29 AM.

#4 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 PM

Posted 13 September 2006 - 05:02 AM

sounds like your program for renewing your ip address is acting funny... do you have the latest drivers for your cable modem and your router (if present)

Edited by Gyro, 13 September 2006 - 05:03 AM.

#5 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:24 AM

Yea, I have all the drivers, and I don't have a router or switch.

Edit: I also posted this HJT log, since I'm not sure if it could be caused by some sort of malware.

Edited by Andersson, 13 September 2006 - 10:28 AM.

#6 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 19 September 2006 - 11:44 AM

If it was a problem with any of the coards, would rebooting help? Or if it is the network card?

#7 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 PM

Posted 20 September 2006 - 01:16 PM

What OS are you using? is it win xp sp2 or prior. Xp sp1 or oem has known connectivity issues.
delete tcp/ip and reboot to let it rebuild.
You have a dhcp or winsock issue.
Try researching LSP fix also and get back to me on the results.
Also check your cable routers lease settings, if you are able to, turn of dhcp and/or nat and issue a static ip address.

#8 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:27 PM

What OS are you using? is it win xp sp2 or prior. Xp sp1 or oem has known connectivity issues.
delete tcp/ip and reboot to let it rebuild.
You have a dhcp or winsock issue.
Try researching LSP fix also and get back to me on the results.
Also check your cable routers lease settings, if you are able to, turn of dhcp and/or nat and issue a static ip address.

Thanks for the reply!

I have XP (pro) SP2.

LSPFix said No problems found.

How would I go about deleting my tcp/ip? mswsock.dll? Is it safe?

I don't know how to change Lease settings either. But I've tried to switch the radio button to static and typing one in myself, as well as a valid DNS. That didn't work. :thumbsup:

#9 scraphog

scraphog

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 12:46 PM

here's a very good read to explain whats going on in your scenario, it gives much better advise and terminology. I hope this explains what you need.
LSP fix would have taken care of a "broken" winsock connection that points at corrupted drivers on your machine, either the NIC card or spyware messing with the windows registry ability to keep tcp/ip alive, you must now look elsewhere for the culprit. Without a router, it points to either system options (such as standby), or the cable/dsl modem itself (leasing). to get a static ip addressing scheme to work , you need to login (using a web browser) to the control panel of the dsl router as an administrator and change the settings to allow a static connection , and also change the tcp/ip settings on the computer. It sounde like you are only changing them on the computer, on which count, the dsl router knows not what the PC is doing ,so then you have no connection at all.

check out this link to explain better, then look for online manual for the make/model of your dsl modem to see exactly how to log into it.

http://www.smartcomputing.com/editorial/ar...06.asp&guid

cheers: Bob

#10 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 21 September 2006 - 01:35 PM

Hmm... It seems you need to be a subscriber to view the full artice. But I understood a bit from your post. Thanks for explaining.

On the LSP Fix website there was a link to WinsockXPFix, I think it resets all the winsock registry values. Do you think it would be a good idea to run it?
It has a backup function for the registry, but it didn't work ("error copying files").

Edited by Andersson, 21 September 2006 - 01:43 PM.

#11 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 23 September 2006 - 02:51 PM

This is what the Fix does:

The VB Winsockfix Utility will:
1.) Detect your current Operating System
2.) Release the IP address, taking you "Offline"
3.) Reset the TCP stack using Netsh.exe (Windows XP only)
4.) Delete the current Registry TCP and Winsock Values
5.) Import new "Working" Registry Values

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Winsock2

6.) Backup any Current "Hosts" file
7.) Replace the "Hosts" file with a default one
8.) Reboot the Computer

What would be the worst case scenario if I ran it?

#12 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 11:23 AM

On SmartComputing and on Experts Exchange, you've gotta scroll way, way down to see the answers.

Also, once you've viewed them, they generally won't show up again - but deleting their cookies will make them reappear.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#13 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 24 September 2006 - 04:14 PM

it's not a post in the link he posted if that's what you're reffering to, it's an article of their e-paper thingy.

To view the full text of any article published in Smart Computing, PC Today, or Computer Power User magazine, you must be a paid subscriber to one of these publications. Subscribers to any one of these publications also have access to all articles published in First Glimpse magazine (First Glimpse subscribers have access only to First Glimpse content).

Anyway, can I run the winsock fix (details above) without ending up reinstalling windows?

#14 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 26 September 2006 - 03:38 PM

Update: I ran WinstockXPFix to renew those register values and the hosts file, and it didn't help.

Do you pros think it could be the patch cable or some other cable that is broken? :thumbsup:

#15 Andersson

Andersson
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2006 - 05:05 PM

Ok, the problem is not within the hardware, I've set my computer up in a new place and the problem persists. Though it works fine when I run from my other HDD that also has Windows installed.

So it's a problem on my hardrive. But I have no clue what it could be.

I've done the following already:

Virus scan (avast anti-virus, symantec online scan)
Adware scan (Spybot S&D, Ad-aware, Ewido, Spyware Doctor)
LSPFix
WinsockXPFix

Edited by Andersson, 02 October 2006 - 07:48 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users