Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC fans start but no display.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Valarean

Valarean

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:20 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

Hello! 

TL;DR My computer is not booting up at all. When I press the power button, my fans and lighting turn on but then nothing comes on my display. 

I went to turn off my PC one day to move it into a new room and I got a memory failure error message then before I could take a picture my PC just shut off. I tried to turn it back on and all red lights came on my motherboard and would stay on Boot Device LED. 
I unplugged everything and cleaned out any dust and reseated all my cables and it powered on but then the display wasn't coming on. 

I have tried reseating the CMOS battery, holding down the power button to 30 seconds to a minute with the power unplugged, running my pc without different componets, and switching to a different power supply

I'm stumped on trying to figure this out, Any suggestions before I start buying different parts to fix this?

Specs:

• ASUS Z170-A LGA 1151 Intel Z170 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.1 USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
  • Intel Core i5-6400 6 MB Skylake Quad-Core 2.7 GHz LGA 1151 65W BX80662I56400 Processor
  • CORSAIR Vengeance LPX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 288-Pin DDR4 SDRAM DDR4 2133 (PC4 17000) Desktop Memory Model ...
  • Old HDD from old PC (from 2010)
  • 1 x EVGA GeForce GTX 960 04G-P4-3967-KR 4GB SSC GAMING w/ACX 2.0+
  • Thermaltake TR2 TR-600 600W ATX12V v2.3 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready Power Supply

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Bloodthunder

Bloodthunder

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:45 PM

Forgive me for my overly simplified suggestion, but this is always my starting point.

Start off with the "Basic 3". Video, RAM, CPU. Nothing else, no front USB, no HDD, nothing extra. Bonus points for taking the mobo out of the case.

And since you're using an 1151, you should have onboard video. Take everything out, and only leave your RAM, CPU, and Power hooked up, with only Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, and Power cables plugged in. You can also test with only 1 RAM stick at a time.

I would also check your manual to confirm that your RAM is plugged into the correct slots for dual channel.

If you're still getting beeps referring to a memory error, sounds like your RAMs are likely bad.

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:20 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 08:47 AM

it powered on but then the display wasn't coming on

When it powers on, check the following:

> Is there a normal system beep on power-up?

> If the answer is Yes to the above, check your monitor cable that it is seculely plugged in, and there are no damaged contacts on the plug.

> Check your memory stick(s), that they are evenly and securely snapped in. 

> If you have a video card, remove it and re-install it, making certain that it is fully install in the slot evenly and the locking tab is in place.

Check your memory as follows:

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

>
  If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time; this may be problematic on a laptop if you do not know how to access your memory sticks. If you don’t, then run the test normally, otherwise do one stick at a time.

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, let me know. That is important.

There is no need to run the test multiple times on the same stick, one complete pass is sufficient.

Let us know how it goes.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 Valarean

Valarean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:52 AM

Forgive me for my overly simplified suggestion, but this is always my starting point.

Start off with the "Basic 3". Video, RAM, CPU. Nothing else, no front USB, no HDD, nothing extra. Bonus points for taking the mobo out of the case.

And since you're using an 1151, you should have onboard video. Take everything out, and only leave your RAM, CPU, and Power hooked up, with only Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, and Power cables plugged in. You can also test with only 1 RAM stick at a time.

I would also check your manual to confirm that your RAM is plugged into the correct slots for dual channel.

If you're still getting beeps referring to a memory error, sounds like your RAMs are likely bad.

I went ahead and tried this but the same problem was occurring. Forgive me if I am wrong but technically if I were to take out my ram, my PC should start up correct? 

I did end up buying a new motherboard but now the motherboard is getting some kind of error. 

(New motherboard is the MSI Z270 GAMING M5 but problem is still occuring)

Edited by Valarean, 07 July 2017 - 11:01 AM.

#5 Valarean

Valarean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 10:54 AM

it powered on but then the display wasn't coming on

When it powers on, check the following:

> Is there a normal system beep on power-up?

> If the answer is Yes to the above, check your monitor cable that it is seculely plugged in, and there are no damaged contacts on the plug.

> Check your memory stick(s), that they are evenly and securely snapped in. 

> If you have a video card, remove it and re-install it, making certain that it is fully install in the slot evenly and the locking tab is in place.

Check your memory as follows:

>  Download the (free) zip file (2nd from the top) ISO of Memtest86+ and burn to a CD.

>  Make sure your BIOS is set to CD = 1st Boot Device, HDD = 2nd Boot Device.

>
  If you have multiple sticks, test only one (1) stick at a time; this may be problematic on a laptop if you do not know how to access your memory sticks. If you don’t, then run the test normally, otherwise do one stick at a time.

Reboot with the CD in your drive. Allow it to run until you get a message at the bottom of the screen that testing is complete (about 20 minutes). Any red posts at the bottom of the screen means that memory stick is bad.

If Memtest will not run or you get error messages, let me know. That is important.

There is no need to run the test multiple times on the same stick, one complete pass is sufficient.

Let us know how it goes.

I tried booting with one stick and no sticks but the same problem was happening. How can I make my computer read a disk if its not booting the bios at all?

#6 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:01 PM

its not booting the bios at all

This is of major importance, I did not know that you could not access the BIOS. A clarification question:  are you sure you are properly attempting to access the BIOS? I am not trying to be insulting I assure you, but are you tapping the correct F-key as you power up the computer?  Is this same thing also happening on the new motherboard that you installed?

Reset the BIOS and try to boot again. Follow this procedure:

Power down and unplug the power cable from the wall socket. Press the power switch for 5 seconds (clears the capacitors). Open the case and remove the CMOS battery for about 10 minutes. It looks like a small, silver coin about the size of a nickel. Many computers also have a small jumper switch usually located close to the battery. Move the jumper to the side, wait about 10 seconds, then move it back to original position again. You can check your computer manual to find where this jumper is located. Then reinstall the CMOS battery again; make sure you get the polarity correct, if you put it in backwards the computer will do some really strange things, and possibly not boot.

Let us know what happens.

Edited by ranchhand_, 07 July 2017 - 02:06 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#7 Valarean

Valarean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:09 PM

its not booting the bios at all

This is of major importance, I did not know that you could not access the BIOS. A clarification question:  are you sure you are properly attempting to access the BIOS? I am not trying to be insulting I assure you, but are you tapping the correct F-key as you power up the computer?  Is this same thing happening on the new motherboard that you installed?

I apologize! I was not able to use my keyboard and mouse when my PC was "powered up". I push the power button and my fans kick on and LED's turn on but nothing else happens. No display comes up even when trying to use the mobo on board graphics. Its seems like my USB ports aren't functioning during this process too. 

On the new mobo that I installed, My PC is not powering up all the way. I am getting some kind of error that is preventing it from starting it all the way. The on board LED diagonals system just flashes 00 which isn't in the manual.

Edited by Valarean, 07 July 2017 - 02:11 PM.

#8 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:19 PM

Did you reset the BIOS?

#9 Valarean

Valarean
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:30 PM

Did you reset the BIOS?

Yes. Does it sound like an issue with my CPU possibly?

#10 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,748 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

At this point, I recommend basically what Bloodthunder suggested earlier; a bench build is the best way to go. Remove the motherboard and place it on the workbench on a piece of cardboard, then add one (1) stick memory and the CPU; If you have a system beeper, plug that in, then connect your power supply and monitor but no hard drive. By removing the mobo from the case you eliminate any possibility of shorting via the case through contact on the bottom of the board.

Now try to boot.  If the POST screen appears, you now have a good start. If you still cannot POST or access the BIOS, most likely it will be a bad memory stick or blown CPU, since you have exchanged the mobo already. Hopefully the system beeper will sound a code beep that may help finding the problem, but I don't know if newer mainboards do that any more. Let's hope the new board is not DOA. Hopefully you have an extra memory module, if so try swapping that. If you do not, connect a DVD drive, insert the Memtest86+ disc and reboot. If you are lucky Memtest will boot and start running a test on your memory. You mentioned that you had a memory error message on your old board that flashed up just before it crashed, so be sure to check out your memory thoroughly before starting to invest in more hardware. As a reality check, rarely do CPUs fail, but it does happen.

Here is a bench build procedure that I have used for years and it works for me on my builds, and even troubleshooting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users