Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

recommend a cheap smart phone

• Please log in to reply
23 replies to this topic

#1 frogbreath

frogbreath

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Can anyone recommend a cheap smart phone I can get in the UK.
It has to be cheap I have no money.
I need it to surf the net.
Have an OK camera capable of hd film.
GPS would be nice for when I get lost.
That's it really
I haven't a clue about phones had a look but I have never had a smart phone I'm still sending letters lol.
So any help would be greatly welcomed.

Edit: Moved topic from Cell Phones to the more appropriate forum. I chose Android over iOS as cheap and iOS are exclusive. ~ Animal

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Just_One_Question

Just_One_Question

• Members
  • 1,400 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:42 PM

Huawei P8 (16GB) - ~250 gbp (a top-notch phone; a previous flagship)

Samsung Galaxy J3 (2016) - ~110 gbp (a meh phone, but will do the work just fine)

Lenovo A1000m  - ~55 gbp (a slow, but solid phone; will do browsing and general computing just fine)

The good news is that there are pretty much no really slow phones on the market almost anywhere in the world for any price any more. Even cheap Chinese knock-offs will browse the web just fine. The cheapest I have tested was ~33 gbp and it did perfectly okay browsing the web while only Chrome being opened one tab at a time. It was smooth and uneventful.

Hope this helps. Good luck! :)

Edited by Just_One_Question, 06 July 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#3 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:34 PM

Thanks I will have a good look at them.

#4 -Krockz

-Krockz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:35 PM

Huawei P8

This

#5 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:05 AM

Hello -Krockz

I have decided the Huawei P8 didn't make the cut for me it has to many backdoors built in and are known about by the masses. Have they fixed theses? I don't know but I shall be avoiding this phone.

Thank you any way

#6 -Krockz

-Krockz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 01:34 PM

Hello -Krockz

I have decided the Huawei P8 didn't make the cut for me it has to many backdoors built in and are known about by the masses. Have they fixed theses? I don't know but I shall be avoiding this phone.

Thank you any way

Your decision to make. Your welcome :)

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 8,140 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 AM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:29 PM

I loved my J3, and would recommend that phone unreservedly.  As far as screen size goes I prefer it to the S7.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#8 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:45 PM

Hello  Briteguy are these both Samsung phones? Sorry for my ignorance but this will be my first smart phone once I decide which one to buy. I have even thought about buying a cheap phone and installing a better OS on it. At present this is just an idea as I have not a clue about phones and even less about reinstalling another OS.

Thanks for the suggestions I will assume they are Samsung for now and look them up

#9 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:22 PM

Yes.  Just One Question identified the J3 as a Samsung product and the Galaxy S7 and S8 are the two most recent releases from Samsung (or, if you want to be technical the S8 and S8 Edge are).

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

~ Austin O'Malley

#10 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Wow looked at these today they are a lot of money a little to expensive for me. I don't have that much money for a phone I have about at an absolute most £50 if I have to spend that much. I do appreciate the recommendations thank's.

#11 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:09 PM

Given your description, virtually anything will fill the bill provided the camera has the resolution you seek.

All smartphones have built in GPS.  Now, mind you, if you're using Google Maps to exploit it you are going to have to have a data plan and good connectivity to same wherever you're going.  If you know that either one of those things is not true, you're better off buying a dedicated GPS app that stores its maps on the SD card and does not need a data plan to function.  Examples include:  ALK CoPilot, Navigon, Sygic, MapFactor, or almost any one of the major GPS manufacturers you can name.  I prefer the paid versions of these apps since the cost is low and I don't want ads bothering me when I'm trying to get myself somewhere.

Your needs are very basic, particularly if you don't plan on adding a whole bunch of apps to your phone, which can eat up the device's on-board storage relatively quickly on a lower end phone.  You can definitely have some apps though.  I had about 10 on my cheaper phones when that's what I was using.  I've very much liked LG's entry level phones that are typically sold for pay-as-you-go plans.

~ Austin O'Malley

#12 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:37 PM

Thanks for the info I'll look at Lg entry level phones.

#13 frogbreath

frogbreath
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 122 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:48 PM

I've been looking at apps that you suggested they are nice I'm going to keep looking. I have a question while looking at these gps apps I spotted anitvirus for android and then just out of curiosity looked up firewall for android they are there to. Do I need anti virus for my phone and a firewall? If so what's a good free one please.

Thanks bud

Edited by frogbreath, 12 July 2017 - 02:48 PM.

#14 britechguy

britechguy

• 8,140 posts
  •  

Posted 12 July 2017 - 08:19 PM

You will get varying answers with regard to Android antivirus and firewall.   I went without either entirely for years until I got my Galaxy S7 that has Lookout built in as the antivirus/antimalware scanner.

Virtually any major antivirus company you can name has an Android version these days.

I can't speak to firewall at all.

~ Austin O'Malley

#15 Hareen

Hareen

• Members
  • 151 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:46 PM

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:26 AM

Go through the reviews first.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Vodafone-Smart-Smartphone-Locked-Network/dp/B01H6MMT08/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1499941492&sr=1-2&keywords=smart+phones

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users