Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Strange IE 11 issue. Favorites folder showing as empty.

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 GeoGoGo

GeoGoGo

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:35 AM

Hello Everyone,

I have run into a strange issue with IE 11 running on my Windows 7 Pro 64 bit machine on our corporate domain. Out of the blue one day when I opened IE I noticed that my favorites bar was missing. When I clicked my favorites in the tool bar, the folder was empty.

I navigated to C:\user\username and the favorites folder is there and all my favorites are there. I have tried copying my favorites (the links, not the entire folder) to another folder, rebooting my machine and copying them back into the original favorites folder. It has no effect. I reset IE, then uninstalled and reinstalled IE 11, ran a system restore and none of those worked. I have also checked the security settings on the folder as well.

I am banging my head against the wall now and could really use some assistance. Any ideas, thoughts, suggestions, opinions, or info will be greatly appreciated! Thank you all in advance for the time! Have a great day!

Respectfully,

George D.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -Krockz

-Krockz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:58 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:54 AM

Here are a couple posts from Microsoft on the issue. I warn you. Editing the registry is dangerous. make sure to BACK IT UP before you edit any lines. If you are OK with changing browsers it would be safer, simply copy over your favorites to the new browser of your choice. I recommend chrome  if you are switching from IE as it is the most widely used and the most user friendly IMO. If you want to try the next step up then Firefox or Vivaldi are geared towards the "Power user"

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/167124/favorites-entries-lost-during-internet-explorer-installation

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/ie/forum/ie11-windows_7/lost-favorites-in-ie-11/c302f6ba-e129-4816-be49-fa060e53bcc5 

#3 GeoGoGo

GeoGoGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:12 PM

Hi Krockz!

Thank you for your reply.  I have checked out both of you links and have gone into the registry.  I do not have Shell folders or User Shell folders in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\software\Microsoft\Windows\current version\explorer

I am not sure how to proceed from here.  I know my way around the registry and can modify it without much concern but when I can not actually find the keys to change, I get nervous.

Any suggestions?

#4 -Krockz

-Krockz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:39 PM

To alleviate my concern and to prevent any issues with the site rules. Since I am not a registered helper I do not feel comfortable providing any more instruction while you are in the registry. 

With that in mind. May I ask why you use IE 11? To be honest its lacking alot of features compared to many other browsers and causes headaches (like this one)...Id be more then happy walking you though setting up a new browser to your liking and transferring your favorites.

If you would not like to do this then it would be best to wait for a official representative to help you further.  

#5 GeoGoGo

GeoGoGo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:48 PM

There are some web apps that we use that require IE 11, so unfortunately I can't just ditch it.  I appreciate you assistance and I will see what the official rep has to say.  Thank you very much, Krockz!

#6 -Krockz

-Krockz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:50 PM

ah (curse you IE!!! lol)  I am confident that I could walk you though fixing the issue but yeah....I appreciate you understanding.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users