Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Client has new computer but unable to access email?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Johnz414

Johnz414

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:03 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:05 AM

Hi,

An important client of mine has just purchased a new computer but is unable to access email from it?

It is using Windows 10.

What might be the cause of not being able to access email on a new computer and how would I fix it?

Thanks,

John

John

"Genius is nothing other than pointing out the obvious",
Albert Einstein.

"I am what I am and that is all that I am, I am Popeye the Sailor Man", Popeye.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 -Krockz

-Krockz

• Members
  • 23 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:03 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:04 PM

Hello, 

How are you trying to access the email? A desktop program or though your browser?

Here is a link that covers a wide range of issues. Hope this helps.  

https://mediatemple.net/community/products/dv/204404634/troubleshooting-common-issues-with-email

Edited by -Krockz, 06 July 2017 - 12:04 PM.

#3 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:31 PM

The issue was the router and modem, these have been changed out and the system is working.

The only issue now is that the new computer only has a WiFi connection which is making emailing and using the web slow.

They are looking into a WiFi adaptor so they can hard line the computer to the web.

Should work great.

So, this issue is solved.

Thanks for the suggestions.

John

John

Albert Einstein.

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 02:34 PM

If they're having an issue with e-mail and web browsing over WiFi, speed wise, then something is still wrong.

The performance between WiFi and ethernet for most common tasks at the speed humans work is almost imperceptible, or should be.  I can stream over a DSL line, via WiFi connectivity, with no problem and that's far more data intensive than when I'm sitting and browsing the web or e-mailing (which I sometimes do while streaming).

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#5 Johnz414

Johnz414
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 464 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 11:47 AM

The client is usung Spectrum's email service. 

The router is at the other end of the buildings and downstairs from his office, they are at opposite ends of the building.

If this isn't the issue I am sure that I will hear of it.

It is an old building with lots of walls and a floor between them.

The secritary has a hard line and has no issues.

So, we will see what happens.

John

Albert Einstein.

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,515 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:22 PM

OK, well you hadn't specified the provisos, which would imply a pretty crappy to nonexistent WiFi signal.  That is always problematic when the signal is really weak and consistently that way, often with cut-outs.

I'd be far more inclined to move the router somewhere "midway" between the two users and use WiFi on both to at least see if that improves the situation significantly before I'd ever consider running ethernet cable or getting range expanders.  And if you can't move the router then I'd still try a range expander first before going the wired route.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users