Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wiping the Free Space on a Hard Disk Drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 servicesp

servicesp

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:22 AM

Any recommendations for something similar to wipe Linux systems of any free storage. I have several Terabyte drives that I need to do this too.

Edited by britechguy, 06 July 2017 - 08:59 AM.
Split from Win7 forum. Topic was software for wiping free space.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:48 AM

Any recommendations for something similar to wipe Linux systems of any free storage. I have several Terabyte drives that I need to do this too.

You need to ask this in the BC linux forum. 

#3 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:18 AM

OP, exactly what are you asking here?  Are you asking for more than simple "repartition and reformat" gives you?

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#4 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,359 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:27 AM

Although I am not the OP, I was part of the thread from which I split this topic.   What was being discussed were utilities that literally overwrite free space in order to either erase data entirely or corrupt it in such a way that it cannot be reconstructed.

It's entirely possible to rearrange the partitions on a hard drive that's been used but be able to run "undelete" or recovery utilities (think TestDisk/PhotoRec) on what's been newly created and reformatted in an effort to reconstruct and recover data.  Under Windows utilities like CCleaner's Drive Wiper feature can be used to obliterate data in free space (or even an entire drive) by overwriting it one or more times (1, 3, 7, or 35 overwrite passes).   There are others that do something similar.

He's asking does something exist under Linux that will do a "block by block" overwrite of free space or an entire disk to ensure that the data on it is no longer accessible by recovery utilities.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,420 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:32 AM

BleachBit will overwrite free space and can be used on a Windows or Linux platform. But I wouldn't want to guess how many days or months overwriting

a terabyte of free space would take by just overwriting one time.  Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 zainmax

zainmax

• Banned
  • 344 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:40 AM

https://www.bleachbit.org/

Soorry buddy215, I did not see the previous post earlier than I had already posted mine.

Edited by zainmax, 06 July 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#7 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:57 PM

BleachBit will overwrite free space and can be used on a Windows or Linux platform. But I wouldn't want to guess how many days or months overwriting

a terabyte of free space would take by just overwriting one time.  Clean Your System and Free Disk Space | BleachBit

BleachBit is a good useful tool if a potential user will spend the time to learn exactly what each of the features will remove or overwrite.  :thumbup2:  

Using some of the settings in BleachBit can and sometimes will make a completely working Linux disto into a complete non work Linux distro.  :rip:

BleachBit comes without factory defaults and leaves all features to be used completely up to the end-user so unwanted results may appear if used haphazardly.  :oopsign:

I speak from my own experience.  :graduate:

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#8 mremski

mremski

• Members
  • 498 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 AM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:48 AM

If you want to clear the drive completely, getting rid of any type of partitioning, make sure it's unmounted and use the dd command (man dd).

as root, something like:  dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/sda bs=1024M  will write zeros to the entire device, wiping out any partitioning, data, etc.  If you want to scramble it, repeat a few times, but change if= from /dev/zero to /dev/random.  the bs= parameter is "block size", bigger sizes typically run quicker.

FreeBSD since 3.3, only time I touch Windows is to fix my wife's computer

#9 Angoid

Angoid

• Security Colleague
  • 299 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:42 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 06:15 AM

With BleachBit, just be careful to NOT run it as root as it will have permission to delete anything it wants there.

Run it as the normal user without root permissions.

Expand each node and see what it's going to delete ... if there's anything you don't understand, then UNcheck its box (if set) as you could end up trashing your system.

I've not had any bad experiences with BleachBit to date, but there's always a first time.  Better safe than sorry.

Helping a loved one through a mental health issue?  Remember ALGEE...

Assess the risk | Listen nonjudgementally | Give reassurance and info | Encourage professional help | Encourage self-help and support network

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,676 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:19 AM

Worth reading

http://docs.bleachbit.org/doc/shred-files-and-wipe-disks.html

#11 Captain_Chicken

Captain_Chicken

• BC Advisor
  • 1,369 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:55 AM

BleachBit is a good useful tool if a potential user will spend the time to learn exactly what each of the features will remove or overwrite.  :thumbup2:  

Using some of the settings in BleachBit can and sometimes will make a completely working Linux disto into a complete non work Linux distro.  :rip:

BleachBit comes without factory defaults and leaves all features to be used completely up to the end-user so unwanted results may appear if used haphazardly.  :oopsign:

I speak from my own experience.  :graduate:

Be very careful with bleachbit! It bleached my ssd!

Computer Collection:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

Spoiler

#12 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,488 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:47 PM

I found this interesting.

https://forums.linuxmint.com/viewtopic.php?t=219623

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users