Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

eM installer UAC says 3b3b3c.msi needs permission

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:10 AM

This file or program asking for permission 3b3b3c.msi is what User Account Control tells me when I run the installer for eM Client email software client.  The downloaded file from the eM site is named "setup.msi".

I canceled the attempted installation.  Details from UAC say very little other than eM Client Inc,. and "7.1.30638.0",

I tried a internet search for 3b3b3c.msi but NO information of any kind was found.

If someone knows if what I saw during installation attempt is normal and correct, I want to know.  To me, too strange.

Windows Vista sp2, 32-bit machine, laptop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:20 AM

You didn't mention where you downloaded it from, but I ran the emclient.com URL through VirusTotal, and it unanimously comes back as a clean site.

The .msi is could be a secondary installer that needs permission to make changes to the system (service, or a port listener, or?).

If you got it directly from eM Client, it's probably fine, but you can upload both .msi's to VirusTotal and scan them for a second opinion.

Otherwise, if your uncomfortable, don't use it.

#3 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:42 AM

Thanks.  I DID download from www.emclient.com.Big green button labeled Free Download.

Now uploaded and let virustotal check the setup.msi

No bad marks shown.

Still, if anyone knows anything about this, say what should be known or understood.  How should the installing of eM Cleint go?

Should I be able to unpack the contents of the setup.msi file and send some files from this to virustotal, too?

Edited by cafejose, 06 July 2017 - 03:57 AM.

#4 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 11:11 PM

A fresh download of EM Client email client taken from www.emclient.com of the file simply named, setup.msi and another attempt to install was made.  The installation screen came up, I clicked install, waited about a minute, and then windows message:

A program needs your permission to run,... and its name given is 1c695d.msi.

I canceled the installation.  

Already tried submission to virustotal on the "setup.msi" from yesterday and the site said the file is clean.  

If wanted to use PORTABLE versions of OperaMail, or Sylpheed, or Thunderbird, not trouble setting up; no need to "install".  Trying a "regular" install of EM Client - strange unexpected some-other-file needs permission from user to continue.  

#5 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 01:32 AM

When a MS Installer file runs, Windows assigns it a numerically generated name, which is used internally for purposes like setting up registry keys and copying the installation data to the depository for possible later uninstalling. Otherwise, if every installation was done from a file called, say, SETUP.MSI as this one is, there would be a big problem distinguishing installations apart.

Unless the developer makes provision for an alternative identifying name to be displayed in the UAC dialog, the internal numeric ID is shown, along with the developer's name as per the digital certificate, and the version of the program being installed, in your case Ver 7.1.30638.0. which is the current version:

Release history

Released: Tuesday, July 4, 2017

http://www.emclient.com/release-history

See discussions below:

https://superuser.com/questions/473569/where-does-windows-store-msi-files-for-uninstallation

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/4315840/the-uac-prompt-shows-a-temporary-random-program-name-for-msi-can-the-correct-na

Edited by Platypus, 08 July 2017 - 01:35 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#6 cafejose

cafejose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 986 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:03 AM

Thanks Platypus,

That should mean that what I have been seeing is normal and correct; so I should just go ahead and continue the installation of eM Client if I want to try the client-email program.  I HAD to ask.  My internet searches gave me nothing.  Somehow you knew how to look for what.  I have not before seen Windows asking me for permission for some oddball file name so different from the name of the program I try to install.  

#7 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,665 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:42 PM

Posted 08 July 2017 - 02:21 AM

IMO the indicators are that it is normal. The installer behaves exactly the same for me, and EmsiSoft Anti-Malware which I am currently running identifies no suspicious activity. If you repeatedly run and reject the installation, the numeric name, which is hexadecimal, increments in a way suggesting it is probably based on the system tick, basically an uptime counter.

Top 5 things that never get done:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users