Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Garmin express

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 keithy

keithy

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:14 AM

Hello everyone

I have a problem when trying to install Garmin express!

Not sure if its a windows 10 thing or the program from Garmin.

Have tried installing an older version and stopping the automatic update but it still closes and updates with the same problem (see attachment)

"Service 'Garmin device Interaction Service' could not be installed"

After this message the program closes.

Please can anyone help??

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:37 AM

Go to the Garmin site, click on System Requirements, and make sure you meet those...

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/software/express/

You may need to right-click on the installer and select Run as administrator.

Edited by jwoods301, 06 July 2017 - 02:39 AM.

#3 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:34 AM

Thanks for the quick reply.

Just tried again with your link but get the same message, even as administrator!

#4 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 07:45 AM

Why are you installing an older version? Have you tried the newest version of Garmin yet?

If your using a third party antivirus you can try disabling that first before attempting to install the latest version of Garmin

#5 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,483 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:36 AM

I'd definitely download the latest version of Garmin Express though I understand why you punted and tried an older one just to see if you could get it to work.

Since "Run as administrator" is not helping you may have some sort of corruption somewhere in your Windows 10 installation.  You could try:

I have Garmin Express running on two different Win10 Home 64-bit laptops and had no problem installing.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

~ Commenter TheCruyffGurn on the The Guardian website, 8/13/2014

#6 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 07:16 AM

Hello again

Thanks for your advice.

I have run the commands the first found a problem that it could not fix?

So I ran the second which showed an 'error 87'

see attachment

I also ran the windows compatibility program which tells me that Garmin Express isn't compatible??

attachment

thanks againAttached File  Screenshot (8).png   138.59KB   0 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot (7).png   925.72KB   0 downloads

#7 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,483 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 09:25 AM

You ran the DISM command with all of the switches run together into one long word, which will not work.  There is a space (or spaces, the number doesn't matter) in front of each of the /SWITCHNAME switches.

Garmin Express is compatible with Windows 10, or at least the latest version is.

Run the DISM command again with the switches correctly specified, restart your system, and re-run the SFC again, and it should come back clean.  If it does not then other steps must be taken.

Brian AKA Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

In a modern society where everyone thinks their opinion deserves to be heard nothing annoys me more than individuals who mistake their personal preferences for fact.

#8 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:43 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 01:59 PM

Good article from TenForums on using the DISM repair options...

http://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/7808-dism-repair-windows-10-image.html

#9 Joe C

Joe C

• Members
  • 835 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

Some one named Jason from Garmin provided this: Completely uninstall any existing Garmin files/folders and reg keys:

If you are unable to uninstall Garmin Express from Programs and Features, please follow these instructions:

1. Go to the web page: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed
  2. Click the Run now button
  3. Click Run in Internet Explorer or download then open MicrosoftFixit.ProgramInstallUninstall.RNP.Run.exe1
  4. Click Accept in the license agreement
  5. Follow the provided instructions to select and uninstall the particular application

When uninstalling Garmin Express select:
  • Garmin Express
  • Garmin Express Tray
  • Elevated Installer
  • Garmin Update Services (skip if not present)
  • ANT Drivers Installer x64

This program will need to be run again for each item on the list to be uninstalled. Once you have uninstalled Garmin Express, try installing the latest version of Express here:http://download.garmin.com/omt/express/B/GarminExpressInstaller.exe

1This software is third-party and not created by Garmin. The software is licensed and created by Microsoft.

Then try installing the latest version for Windows 10

#10 jcgriff2

jcgriff2

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,067 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 07:58 PM

Hi. . .

Just to make sure -- are you running the Garmin app with admin privileges?

RIGHT-click on the Garmin app executable, select "Run as Administrator"

Regards. . .

jcgriff2

Microsoft MVP 2009-2015

#11 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

Thanks to everyone for their help!

I also contacted Garmin Europe this is the reply:

"Dear Keith,

I am sorry to hear this issue persists.

This issue appears to be related to the profile on your computer.

In order to troubleshoot this, can I ask you to delete the following file please?

• 64-bit Windows: C:\Windows\SysWOW64\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid
  • 32-bit Windows: C:\Windows\System32\config\systemprofile\AppData\Local\Garmin_Ltd._or_its_subsid

Which file listed above you need to delete will depend of what type of computer you have.

Most user accounts will not have access to these folders. In order to access the folder, navigate to the folder in Windows Explorer and give access whenever prompted.

Kind regards,

Ash

Garmin Europe"

I carried out what the suggested Deletions from Garmin above.

I then followed the instructions from "Joe C" which he got from Garmin.

Then I ran the DISM (with proper switches)

I restarted my PC and ran the SFC again which came back witha corrupt file it was unable to fix (Attachment)

I ran the DISM again which gave an "Error 0x800f081f" (Screenshot)

I have attached the logs!

Shall I try to install Garmin Express again now??

Attached File  CBS.log   3.95MB   1 downloadsAttached File  dism.log   83.26KB   1 downloadsAttached File  Screenshot (11).png   96.29KB   0 downloads

#12 britechguy

britechguy

• 7,483 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:21 AM

Keith,

Would you mind hitting the Windows Key and immediately typing "winver" (sans quotes)?  This should bring up the winver desktop app as the first and only thing returned and you can just hit enter.  If you could post either a screen shot or just give us the Version and Build information.

Also, is your machine 64-bit (most likely) or 32-bit.  Open Settings, System, About Pane (which is the last one on the System Settings dialog) and it will tell you under "System type" whether you have a 64-bit or 32-bit system.

You could definitely try installing Garmin Express again as you've got nothing to lose by trying.  That being said, you have issues to correct with your system because DISM should normally be able to find those source files on your machine and you've got an error from SFC, too.

#13 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:29 AM

Here we are.

Attached File  Screenshot (12).png   25.2KB   0 downloads

#14 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:32 AM

Hope this is right

Attached File  Screenshot (13).png   126.17KB   0 downloads

#15 keithy

keithy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 76 posts
  •  

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:37 AM

Just attempted to install Garmin Express (as administrator)

Garmin now tells me it is incompatable without even an attempt at installingAttached File  Screenshot (14).png   230.43KB   0 downloads

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users