Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bad HDD?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JimmyKarter

JimmyKarter

• Members
  • 127 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:26 PM

I've got a 5TB HDD, and it's fairly large. It has its own PSU and large upright case and it connects to my laptop through USB 3.0

But the thing is I've noticed that it seems to have error writing or reading files compared to my other HDD's. I don't think it's been damaged in any serious way, but for one, the cable IS a bit unstable. Perhaps this is actually the connection, now that I think of it, but disrupting the cable in the past has caused small issues.

The thing is, SC2 runs on the HDD, and can end up having some read/write errors, forcing the app to close. I've also had some memories of incidents with read/write error messages, but don't remember exactly what they were.

For instance, after closing a program, such as Mod Organizer for Skyrim, occasionally I will get a message saying that files were not saved or written. Nothing serious ever happens... yet.

I can try to give more info if it's needed or if specifics are wanted.
Basically, if this HDD isn't working like my other ones, or my laptop SSD, should I start getting concerned about a massive failure and work on finding a replacement?

Edited by JimmyKarter, 05 July 2017 - 11:26 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 7,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:33 PM

My suspicion is that the answer to your final question is "Yes and Yes."

If you have precious data on that drive I would immediately copy it off somewhere else (or you could buy its replacement and clone it).

You can use Seagate's SeaTools drive diagnostics to determine the health of your drive (even if it's not a Seagate) but I would not think of doing this until you've got any data that you simply cannot afford to lose backed up elsewhere.  A failing drive can go completely belly up at any time, and you want to minimize the disc activity except to the extent it must be used to get your data off first.   Once you have that done then you should start running diagnostics to figure out what's actually happening.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1803, Build 17134 

Memory is a crazy woman that hoards rags and throws away food.

~ Austin O'Malley

#3 DataMedic

DataMedic

Authorized DataMedic Rep

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:47 PM

Posted 10 July 2017 - 12:19 PM

What type of HDD is it?  You didn't buy an archive drive, did you?

#4 malwaredpc

malwaredpc

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 11 July 2017 - 12:10 AM

Collect SMART data on it and post it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users