Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

First build advice.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 squareincircle

squareincircle

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:00 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hi, I have never built a PC before. What is wanted is a Asus TUF Z270 Mark 1, stronger back-plate for air cooler & GPU, dust guards have a cat and will be close to litter box, warranty & think it is a good general purpose ATX MB. With this MB though there are options galore on BIOS/UEFI and that part scares me, have downloaded the manual and some of it is understood but a great deal of it is not understood.  Have any of you built your first PC on a MB that was in the middle of the road to upper end of options and cost? If so how did it go were you glad you chose that route?

As far as putting it all together am confident I can do that, ESD wrist strap, read manuals and read them again. Double and then triple check all connections. Outside the box test POST with CPU HSF attached.

Not sure if it's relevant or not but an i5 or i7 unlocked CPU will be in there and a good quality PSU along with a 1070 or 1080, have not decided on HD or QHD monitor.

I will game on it, light photography & video, skype, browse internet, typed documents, and don't know what else the computer I have now does very little it's fifteen years old.

Edited by squareincircle, 05 July 2017 - 09:47 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

High end AM4 motherboards are better than any Z270 motherboards (because z270 platform bandwidth between CPU and chipset is heavily limited) so go for AM4 route.

It also helps if you answer questions shown on that topic https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/226685/how-to-use-this-forum-and-receive-advice-on-purchasing-a-new-computer/

#3 squareincircle

squareincircle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:00 AM

High end AM4 motherboards are better than any Z270 motherboards (because z270 platform bandwidth between CPU and chipset is heavily limited) so go for AM4 route.

It also helps if you answer questions shown on that topic https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/226685/how-to-use-this-forum-and-receive-advice-on-purchasing-a-new-computer/

Hi Drillingmachine, from what I understand the CPU gets the first two PCIe x16 meaning 1x16 or 2x8 and then the remaining PCIe slots meaning PCIe slots x16, x4 or x1 are read or managed by the chipset in Z270. This is the setup that I would like so far, 1 graphics card in the first PCIe x16 and then a M.2 which will use the bandwidth or lanes from the third PCIe x16 slot running at x4 and then a TV tuner card running at x1 and a WiFi card running at x1. From  the block diagram of the Z270 chipset it says 24 PCIe 3.0 lanes are available to the chipset. Is this correct please? Also if you don't mind I am not totally sure on this but if a WiFi card is installed a tablet can be used to get on the internet wirelessly?

Thanks for your time and reply.

#4 Drillingmachine

Drillingmachine

• Members
  • 2,453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:46 AM

LGA1151 CPU supports 20 PCI Express lanes from CPU (4 is reserved to communication between chipset and CPU).

Chipset has 24 PCI Express lanes yes but still, all of those lines have to communicate with CPU via 4 lanes. So it really doesn't matter how many PCI Express lanes are supported by chipset as that 4 lane link limits heavily.

On your setup, fast enough M.2 drive can fill entire bandwidth between CPU and chipset. Also notice that USB ports, audio etc are consuming that bandwidth too.

With AM4 platform you can put M.2 drive that does consume ANY bandwidth between chipset and CPU. So with M.2 drive, AM4 platform is much better.

For tablet getting internet connection, I recommend you get router with Wifi option. As computer Wifi cards are generally for getting signal, not sending it.

#5 squareincircle

squareincircle
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:05 PM

LGA1151 CPU supports 20 PCI Express lanes from CPU (4 is reserved to communication between chipset and CPU).

Chipset has 24 PCI Express lanes yes but still, all of those lines have to communicate with CPU via 4 lanes. So it really doesn't matter how many PCI Express lanes are supported by chipset as that 4 lane link limits heavily.

On your setup, fast enough M.2 drive can fill entire bandwidth between CPU and chipset. Also notice that USB ports, audio etc are consuming that bandwidth too.

With AM4 platform you can put M.2 drive that does consume ANY bandwidth between chipset and CPU. So with M.2 drive, AM4 platform is much better.

For tablet getting internet connection, I recommend you get router with Wifi option. As computer Wifi cards are generally for getting signal, not sending it.

Thank you for clearing that up, it can be so confusing but building a PC seems like it is the better long term way to go. Thank you for specifying what Wifi cards do also.

Have a great day. :)

Edited by squareincircle, 06 July 2017 - 01:06 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users