Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Does This Software Exist?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 JEW1965

JEW1965

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:12 PM

I wrote, self-published, and marketed a book on dyslexia a few years ago that received several favorable reviews and sold over six thousand copies in a dozen countries. I have recently decided to make this book available for free public distribution and have already made copies available on Facebook. I am now in the process of copying lists of email addresses from online directories for school faculty and staff to whom I plan to send free copies of my book via email as attached pdf files. I am working on this project in my spare time and should have a list compiled that consists of thousands of email addresses in a few months. These lists will be blocks of email addresses for different schools which each use separate internet servers.

I have recently become aware that these emails will likely be received as Spam by Internet servers if I send one email to twenty or thirty email addresses for one school at a time. In order to resolve this problem, I need to know if there exists software that will rearrange the order of email addresses on a list like shuffling a deck of cards. I understand that these emails will pass through Spam filters if each email is sent to email addresses for several schools at a time.

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:21 PM

That may not be the main issue...

Your ISP may block you as well.

Even if you encountered no issues on the technical side, sending unsolicited publications could backfire on you, leaving an unfavorable impression of you and your publication...no matter how good it is, or well-intentioned.

Edited by jwoods301, 05 July 2017 - 04:30 PM.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,551 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:14 PM

I think you are going to have to re-think your marketing, or 'give away', approach.

Apart from the points that jwoods has raised, unsolicited communications are almost the exact definition of 'spam'. On top of that we are all taught, as a matter of basic internet security, not to open or download attachments from unknown sources so it is likely that few of your attached PDF files would be received.

A better approach might be to start with people who know you, perhaps your former customer base, and query them as to anyone they may know who would find a copy useful. This is at least likely to produce a higher proportion of 'read' communications as opposed to trashed or spam dumped ones.

Chris Cosgrove

#4 cafejose

cafejose

• Members
  • 976 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:25 PM

The email approach risky as spam is very different than a more organized traditional approach, like maybe arranging or requesting to present what you have at an education conference.  You could attract interested people this way some of whom may ask for copies or for your email or visit a website you create about this dyslexia book.   This way, less worry that email recipients would tag your mails as spam, and less risk that Internet Provider will do anything to your emails or account.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users