Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

FAKE MICROSOFT TECH SUPPORT IS COMPANY CALLED FAST SUPPORT

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 rittenhouse

rittenhouse

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:09 PM

I keep receiving calls from fake MICROSOFT Tech support with various telephone numbers. Strange, they do not show up in my phone on line logs. They wanted me to go to FASTSUPPORT\763721586 ( do not use  these numbers). It is a company  called FASTSUPPORT.com. they also give you a complaint department where you can enter the number that you feel is causing you problems, the number of the LOGMEINRESCUE type remote access code. of course it is clear to them that you are suspicious and they will get rid of the  phone operator who didn't succeed. So do not bother to leave any complaint.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:16 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:46 PM

Appears you are dealing with a well known scam.

Microsoft does not make unsolicited phone calls, display pop-up alerts in your browser to call a support number or send unsolicited email messages to request personal or financial information or to fix your computer.Tech Support Scamming through unsolicited phone calls, browser pop-ups and emails from "so-called Support Techs" advising "your computer is infected with malware", “All Your Files Are Encrypted" and other fake "alert messages" has become an increasing common scam tactic over the past several years. The scams may involve web pages with screenshots of fake Microsoft (Windows) Support messages, fake reports of suspicious activity, fake warnings of malware found on your computer, fake ransomware and fake BSODs all of which include a tech support phone number to call in order to fix the problem. If you call the phone number (or they called you), scammers will talk their victims into allowing them remote control access of the computer so they can install a Remote Access Trojan in order to steal passwords and other sensitive personal information which could then be used to access bank accounts or steal a person's identity.

These are a few examples.If the scam involves unsolicited phone calls from someone claiming to be an employee affiliated with Microsoft or Windows Support advising your computer is infected with malware, not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers.

For more information about how these scams work and resources to protect yourself, please read Beware of Phony Emails & Tech Support Scams...there are suggestions near the bottom for dealing with scams and a list of security scanning tools to use in case the usual methods do not resolve the problem or you allowed remote access into your computer.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Win7wiz

Win7wiz

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 12:27 AM

There are dozens of those "companies."  While I won't fall for a scam, I hope to stop them from interrupting me again.  I tell them I have no computer, hoping it will stop that particular company from calling again. 

Edited by Win7wiz, 06 July 2017 - 12:29 AM.

#4 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:07 AM

Scamming Tech Support Scammers...what the experts have done:

#5 rittenhouse

rittenhouse
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:16 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:36 PM

I tried that. I told him that only one computer has internet connection and asked them "Which computer was sending error messages? Of course they were not able to answer that. They wanted me to start windows error reporting. I played along.  I sometimes feel sorry for those in poor countries and desperate  situations who are   recruited for this type of work so I play along as long as possible. Perhaps they receive bonuses for keeping you on the line.Then I disconnect. They sometimes call back, I apologise ,"Something went wrong", then we play the game all over again.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 03:27 PM

Yes some folks will do things like that but for most...not answering any questions and hanging up the telephone is the best way to deal with phone scammers.

#7 sweetjesus

sweetjesus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 01:17 PM

Yes ! This just happened to me! I was on my lap top googling Microsoft scams as he was instructing me to type in crap into my browser. I then said to him Do you think Im that stupid to put random letters into my browser? He was like maam your computer is at risk! I said you are at risk I know this is a scam I googled it while you you were trying to take over my computer. Lol HE HUNG UP ON ME! Rude bleep!

#8 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,932 posts
  •  

Posted 29 September 2017 - 02:21 PM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer...we are glad to hear the scammers were not able to scam you into giving them control of your computer.

#9 robby501

robby501

• Members
  • 179 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:49 PM

If you get a call from Asian/West African-sounding men or women claiming to be calling on behalf of your ISP, likely the same.

Im a rookie and purely recreational pc user. Im utterly obsessed with security (even though I consider myself a safe and law-abiding internet user!) and run a combo of the following freeware security suites.....

Windows Defender/firewall

Regular scans with Malwarebytes, AdwCleaner, JRT, HitmanPro

#10 sweetjesus

sweetjesus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:53 PM

I tried that. I told him that only one computer has internet connection and asked them "Which computer was sending error messages? Of course they were not able to answer that. They wanted me to start windows error reporting. I played along.  I sometimes feel sorry for those in poor countries and desperate  situations who are   recruited for this type of work so I play along as long as possible. Perhaps they receive bonuses for keeping you on the line.Then I disconnect. They sometimes call back, I apologise ,"Something went wrong", then we play the game all over again.

#11 sweetjesus

sweetjesus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 04:58 PM

Thats hilarious! I should do something like that! And I to feel bad for anyone who actually has to work for criminals to feed there family.

#12 sweetjesus

sweetjesus

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 01 October 2017 - 05:00 PM

I never looked at from your point of view. I just assumed they were all crooks.

#13 r.a.d.

r.a.d.

• Members
  • 757 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:16 PM

Posted 01 October 2017 - 06:58 PM

Considering the human element, on one call, the guy displayed intelligence, articulation and when I asked where he was calling from, he said 'Indiana'. Quick thinker. I suggested, in fact implored him to find a better and more honest way to make a living. He seemed to listen, said thank you and gently hung up.
I strung along one call for about 20 minutes before letting him know I was jerking his chain. That call ended with him yelling 'You baas-taad!"
Next one that comes maybe:
"Secret Service, Phone Fraud Division."
Or on a lighter note, from a Brian Crane cartoon:
"Go ahead please, you're on the air."
:)
Bleepin' desert rat retiree in climes yet to fry brains (knock on cactus).

Past climes/best friend:  photo-91.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users