Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Single file disconnecting USB drive

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Achaemenid

Achaemenid

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 11:42 AM

I have a single text file on a seagate usb drive, connected to Linux Mint.

whenever I click on it, the connection to the computer disappears.

I think somehow clicking on this one file is triggering a disconnection of the USB drive from the computer. I have opened other text files on the drive with no problem.

I cannot open the file to check out its setting or characteristics because trying to open it triggers the disconnect.

I am not requesting malware scans at this time (unless that would solve the problem) especially because I am using Linux.

I would like advice on how to repair the file and find out how one file can alter the behavior of an entire drive.

Is this malware?  If so, it would affect other files.

Is there a way to open the file in the linux version of safe mode?

Edited by Al1000, 05 July 2017 - 12:43 PM.
moved from MRL

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:38 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:03 PM

Can you post a screenshot of the file and the Properties if possible?  Open Screenshot, use screenshot with a Delay, then Right Click on Properties to get a good shot.  

Is this a .txt from Windows?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:01 PM

Can you post a screenshot of the file and the Properties if possible?  Open Screenshot, use screenshot with a Delay, then Right Click on Properties to get a good shot.  

Is this a .txt from Windows?

Thanks for responding.

The file was originally created in windows. Now I use Linux.

I did not understand why a delay was needed.

I have 2 screenshots

Attached Files

#4 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,807 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 07 July 2017 - 03:47 PM

Instead of clicking on it, can you drag it and drop it into your SDA drive?

Edited by Rocky Bennett, 07 July 2017 - 03:47 PM.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 04:00 PM

Me either LOL, I must have been tired.

It's been awhile since i've been in Linux so forgive me, but, what if you Right Click on it and Choose "Open With" and choose your favorite Linux Text Editor.  Just some thoughts, I'll be booting Linux up soon and will look to see if you have resolved this.

You say this is on a seagate usb drive, but it looks like it is on your Desktop Directory?  

Be patient, some better help than I will be along soon.  That Screenshot should help expedite the process.

You mean the USB Drive in the File Manager disappears right? Or the File Itself on the Desktop disappears?

You could also Click on the USB Drive in File Manager and Browse to the file and not the Desktop file.

I'll be back to cause more trouble soon.

Edited by pcpunk, 07 July 2017 - 10:53 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#6 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 05:55 PM

Me either LOL, I must have been tired.

It's been awhile since i've been in Linux so forgive me, but, what if you Right Click on it and Choose "Open With" and choose your favorite Linux Text Editor.  Just some thoughts, I'll be booting Linux up soon and will look to see if you have resolved this.

You say this is on a seagate usb drive, but it looks like it is on your Desktop Directory?  

Be patient, some better help than I will be along soon.  That Screenshot should help expedite the process.

You mean the USB Drive in the File Manager disappears right? Or the File Itself on the Desktop disappears?

You could also Click on the USB Drive in File Manager and Browse to the file and not the Desktop file.

I'll be back to cause more trouble soon.

I was afraid of opening the file in the usb drive again, so I copied the file without opening it and renamed it and put the copy on my desktop.  That is why the screenshot looks like it is on the desktop. I took the screenshots of the premissions and properties windows of the renamed copy file.

I always use the standard linux text editor, gedit

The name of the seagate drive disappears from the linux file manager. I assume it's called Nemo.

If I click on the file in the usb drive that is exactly what causes the entire seagate drive to disappear. So I can't do that. But the file does openly briefly before that.

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 06:58 PM

If Libre Office is installed does it open in Write?

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 10 July 2017 - 07:42 PM

If I click on the file in the usb drive that is exactly what causes the entire seagate drive to disappear. So I can't do that. But the file does openly briefly before that.

I would try Right Clicking and Choosing gedit to open it, this is how I open Windows Text files when using them Cross Platform.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:40 PM

I would try Right Clicking and Choosing gedit to open it, this is how I open Windows Text files when using them Cross Platform.

It was originally a text file. Originally a txt from Windows,then gedit in Linux.

Opening as gedit is exactly how the problem occurred.

If it is infected, then opening it may damage my seagate external drive.

I don't want to repeat the previous experience.

#10 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 AM

Posted 14 July 2017 - 04:43 PM

It was originally a text file. Originally a txt from Windows,then gedit in Linux.

Upload it to VirusTotal.com and scan it there...

Post a link to your scan results.

Edited by jwoods301, 14 July 2017 - 04:43 PM.

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:04 PM

Achaemenid, sorry...I got nothin for ya.  I will take a look at some txt files tonight created in windows from my Linux box, and see if I can recreate the problem you are having. I seem to remember having trouble opening some .txt files from Windows in Linux.  I'll look at those permissions also.  Don't know if I have any windows .txt files on External right now, except for my USB's.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,430 posts
  •  

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:23 AM

See post #7, does the file you copied to the desktop and renamed open in Libre Office Write?

#13 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,096 posts
  •  

Posted 16 July 2017 - 09:09 PM

Why would you think it is Infected?

Try what jwoods301 and JohnC asked for.

I took the screenshots of the permissions and properties windows of the renamed copy file.

Why, I think it would have been better to take a shot of the permissions while it is on the other Drive, if possible.  But if you are worried about problems then don't do it for me.  I wonder what happens when you try to open it in Windows? this would be important also.  I would take a screenshot of the permissions there also, Properties.

Permissions Now:

Access: None

Access: None

Should be:

Access: Read

Access: Read

I just opened a few .txt Files on Linux created in Windows and no problem at all.

You can read it now on Linux right?  

Since there should be no problem opening it in Linux, I would investigate it in Windows.  This way you won't risk anything weird happening when that disconnect happens.  Sorry, maybe better help will come along.  

You could also Copy the Contents while in Windows and create a new .txt doc on your OS and see if that fixes it.

Good luck, pc

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#14 Achaemenid

Achaemenid
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 432 posts
  •  

Posted 19 July 2017 - 04:45 PM

Upload it to VirusTotal.com and scan it there...

Post a link to your scan results.

scan results:

https://virustotal.com/en/file/e8be8f1fbc85207e3ccc19a388ba42a0e753ac3b3828baa5dc5678eecd3e151f/analysis/1500500513/

Thanks for your help.

Attached Files

Edited by Achaemenid, 19 July 2017 - 04:46 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users