Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

GTX 980 G1 Gaming refusing to send signal after power surge

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 antoniu200

antoniu200

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

Hello! As the title says, I have a problem with my 980. But before you say "the card is dead", let me inform you of the fact that made me post the question. I brought the whole computer (at the guy's request) to a local PC repair shop and the guy called me after 2 hours saying that the video card was locked by the power surge and he unlocked it (and he also showed me that it works), but when I came back home the video card still refused to work (I have a MoBo speaker connected and at him, throwed the simple beep and at me it throws 1 long, 2 short - Graphics Card error). What's the matter here?

Edited by antoniu200, 05 July 2017 - 10:44 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:43 PM

This may work and this may not work but at this point you have nothing to lose by giving it a try.

Remove all power from computer and remove side cover and and remove the graphics card.

I would clear the bios and reset the bios.

This can be done by either a bios jumper on the motherboard and or removing the bios battery or do both and let it set that way for five to ten minutes.

Replace the bios jumper back to its original state from which it was removed and then install the bios battery and then reinstall the graphics card.

Reconnect all cables and power up computer and if video is restored then enter bios and reset bios to factory defaults which is always a reliable choice.

This in my opinion is worth the minimal effort.

Hope this helps.

I'm grumpy because I can be not because I'm old.

The world is what you make of it, if it doesn't fit, you make alterations.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#3 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 01:58 AM

I have already tried that. Didn't work.

#4 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 02:09 AM

I also tried to switch the First video option (or something along those lines) from PCI to PCI-E x16-1 and it didn't work. If anyone wondering how, I also have a GTX 660, which is working just fine.

#5 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:49 AM

Solved: turned out to be my DVI-analog to VGA adapter. After I replaced it, everything worked fine.

#6 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:31 AM

Solved: turned out to be my DVI-analog to VGA adapter. After I replaced it, everything worked fine.

Failed to mention you are using the DVI-analog to VGA adapter.

Glad you got it working.

Under certain circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.  (Mark Twain)

#7 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 09:42 AM

Well, I can't mention every single little detail, even how I did my cable management, even if it would be important. And as you people here say, don't exclude anything just because "it *should* be fine". It may not be. You should give advice even for not mentioned things or possible improvisations, the OP might have had/made one.

But I still think the Graphics Card has a problem: when I unplugged my VGA able from the DVI-A to VGA adapter and plugged it into the HDMI to VGA convertor (yes, active one and working, tested on another Graphics Card) I got no signal. When I plugged the cable back into the adaptor, I got a white-screen with some tearing effects. What is this?

Edited by antoniu200, 06 July 2017 - 09:44 AM.

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,800 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:48 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:30 AM

There is some hand shaking going on between the video card and monitor.  Adapters tend to throw things off a bit.  Restart the monitor with out any adapters.then, without the power to the adapter applied, connect the adapter and cables and power on the adapter.  I like to have the monitor on first/before the PC to collect any clues on boot up.

#9 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:42 AM

My converter doesn't need any external power, since the HDMI port gives it the power necesary. I also power on my monitor before I power on my PC as well.

#10 Bulgaristan

Bulgaristan

• Members
  • 276 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:48 PM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:02 AM

I know that might sound like madness to you but I have to ask did you change the power supply after this?
I think the power supply can have a not working circle on it.
If you have a multimeter you can check the VGA power connectors.
The other thing I can amend is to check the slot of the VGA and if you have some contact spray to clear the slot on the card and the motherboard.

#11 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 11:53 AM

I am going to change that PSU anyway, because I won't be keeping an OCed Xeon X5650 and a 980 on a 650W PSU. So, that I will be testing in a couple of days. I have already cleaned the PCI-E slot on the card, but not on the MoBo, will do and update you guys.

#12 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 03:08 AM

Tried everything you said, didn't work. Also, I'm back in the state where nothing is sent to the monitor, but now the Graphics Card's fans get to ramp down and the MoBo doesn't POST at all (EDIT:no beeps, no light on keyboard).

Edited by antoniu200, 08 July 2017 - 03:08 AM.

#13 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:34 AM

What processor and motherboard are you using.

If the processor you are using has graphics as part of it then remove the graphics card and connect the monitor cable to graphics output on motherboard and see if that works.

What type of surge protection was being used those also should be replaced every few years unless it is a battery backup type.

Power surges can take out power supply and possibly damage the motherboard.

This may be the case here.

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 July 2017 - 04:35 AM.

#14 antoniu200

antoniu200
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 207 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 04:59 AM

The processor is a Xeon X5650 and the MoBo is a Gigabyte EX58-UD3R rev1.6. There was no surge protection, except for the PSU's. Xeons don't have integrated graphics.

#15 The-Toolman

The-Toolman

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  •  

Posted 08 July 2017 - 05:36 AM

No surge protection Bummer.

That being the case may have destroyed Power Supply / Motherboard / Graphics Card.

Even if not totally perhaps enough to create the above problems you are experiencing.

It also may have only damaged the power supply so only sure way to tell is to test with another known working power supply.

Invest in surge protection as it is an inexpensive and needed layer of system protection.

Edited by The-Toolman, 08 July 2017 - 05:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users