Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Phillips secondary display suddenly gone super sharp

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 kneidels

kneidels

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 08:22 AM

Hi all

I recently had to dismantle my desktop top to move it elsewhere for a short while. while booting down, i installed all windows 10 updates that were pushed to me, and then disconnected.

I have now hooked it all up again, and it seems something is off with my secondary display.
my main display is a Samsung S23C650 connected via DVI
and secondary is a Phillips 239CL via HDMI

The secondary display now look super-sharp, and even painful to look at. I am attaching 2 screenshots where hopefully you will be able to see what i mean.

Happy to supply any tech info you need.

Thanks!

Attached Files

Edited by kneidels, 05 July 2017 - 08:28 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:46 PM

The problem with looking at this sort of image is that I am looking at it on my screen and not yours !  To me it looks like a nice sharp, clear image.

If it is too bright, or too 'contrasty' for your eyes have you tried adjusting the brightness, contrast and colour balance controls on the monitor, usually accessed through an on-screen menu ? 

It is possible that this monitor has just taken offence at being moved or the connector may have been dirty and uncoupling it and re-coupling it cleaned it.

Chris Cosgrove

#3 kneidels

kneidels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:33 AM

Thanks Chris. I have tried playing with the OSD menu for the monitor - nothing has helped.

It not a brightness or contrast issue - its the sharpness. or possibly whats called "anti aliasing" in graphical terms - the edges between colors are jagged rather than smooth.

Edited by kneidels, 06 July 2017 - 04:33 AM.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:04 AM

Is the monitor being driven in native resolution (1920 x 1080)? Have you compared different SmartImage modes?

In order to be able to see the effect we'd need to have a image of the screen taken with a decent quality camera.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#5 kneidels

kneidels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 05:59 AM

yes, its in native 1920x1080 mode.

The smartImage didn't seem to make any difference.

taking a picture of a screen with a cam is difficult under any circumstances, due to the flickering, and the florescent light in the room...   what do you suggest?

#6 Platypus

Platypus

• 14,225 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:21 AM

Posted 06 July 2017 - 08:32 AM

The room light wouldn't need to be on. It can be tricky to get a good image of a screen using a camera, but without being able to see what you see, it's very hard to offer much help.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#7 kneidels

kneidels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 04:35 PM

I totally hear you.

Another small item of info:

when i connect to the computer via TeamViewer - the screen appears fine - no issues whatsoever. its only looking at the screen directly where it seems there is an issue.

#8 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 06 July 2017 - 06:05 PM

But if you connect to the computer by Teamviewer are you not in the same position as I was in my #2 ?  You are looking at the output on a different screen.

I think the only way to determine if the problem lies with the screen or the computer is to  plug the Philips screen into a different computer and see what it looks like. If it is still too bright etc. then you know that the problem lies with the screen, if it gives a 'normal' display then the problem is with the output from the computer.

Chris Cosgrove

#9 kneidels

kneidels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 07 July 2017 - 02:22 AM

Makes perfect sense - thanks Chris. will do.

#10 kneidels

kneidels
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 03:06 PM

Hi again

i just had a chance to hook this monitor up to my laptop.

I am getting the same result (super-sharpness).

So i guess this means its the monitor.

So then i thought i try the "reset" option in the OSD. i had initially not wanted to try that, as i would lose my settings. anyway - it worked.

the sharpness has cleared itself.

Thanks all for your assistance.

Edited by kneidels, 11 July 2017 - 03:17 PM.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,450 posts
  •  

Posted 11 July 2017 - 06:12 PM

Glad you found a solution.

Sounds like the monitor just took offence at being moved from its normal comfy position !

Chris Cosgrove

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users