Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

CPU hangs after opening a certain program but not in Safe Mode

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ToastedMarshmallows

ToastedMarshmallows

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:11 AM

Hello to all; I present the weirdest CPU problem I have ever had. I sincerely hope someone can help me.

Recently bought a new PC, been having a swell time. I have mbam, avast, and hitmanproalert to back me up against viruses and malware. I have glasswire as a monitor for my firewall so all seemed well till now.

Just starting yesterday, whenever I opened steam with my account, the CPU would immediately black screen and it would say "DVI no input". My CPU would still be running. At that point I can't do anything except restart my cpu. Sometimes I could browse the steam page, but sometimes it would just completely fail and black screen on me. Sometimes I could still manage to open Dota 2 but it would hang and crash at that point.

At first I thought it was a problem with my CPU so I tested it with Prime95, and I had no issues.  I tried several things, including disabling my anti-malware and antivirus software to no avail.

Having exhausted all my options, I tried to log in with a friend's account.. and there were no problems. Using his account, I can freely use my games and browse the steam page with no issues.

Here's were it gets weirder; if I log in with my account using Firefox, and not steam client, i have no issues. I can browse the store. So i thought i simply needed to reinstall steam. It wasn't the case as I still got the black screen.

I did try to run it in compatibility mode, and it worked but the steam page was empty; like I couldn't connect to the server.

I then tried to log in with MY account again in safe boot with networking, and to my surprise I could log in with no problems. I turned on malwarebytes and hitman pro as well as avast and there were no issues. I then realized it's something regarding windows, and one of my drivers/services. Or is it?

How do I troubleshoot this issue? There are too many windows services to try to disable and enable and i might brick my CPU with all the restarts after the black screen. This is something completely new to me that i've never encountered.

I have genuine windows 7, having bought it recently for my new CPU. Ive scanned the pc with eset online and malwarebytes in safe mode as well, so that eliminates the possibility of malware.

Edited by ToastedMarshmallows, 05 July 2017 - 03:18 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:18 AM

Sounds like your user profile is corrupt.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/14039/windows-7-fix-corrupted-user-profile

#3 ToastedMarshmallows

ToastedMarshmallows
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:41 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:33 AM

Thanks for the input, friend, but that's not it. At this point I'm almost thinking of just reinstalling windows and see where it goes. Do you have any other ideas?

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:41 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:55 AM

Thanks for the input, friend, but that's not it. At this point I'm almost thinking of just reinstalling windows and see where it goes. Do you have any other ideas?

Logging in with your friend's account and no issues.

Logging in with your account and the issue occurs.

Yep, couldn't be the user profile, since all accounts use the same drivers.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users