Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

resetting and correcting SSID on printer

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 ltdave

ltdave

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 08:27 PM

ive got a wired Brother HL 2280DW printer.  used to run it through my Netgear router.  (SSID Netgear89)...

i had to replace my router (a few months ago) and due to lack of time, dislike frustration, and no pressing need, ive not looked into getting it to print again.  it stopped after changing out the router.  my computer "status monitor" for the printer shows it offline...

i went into the Network Configuration menu on the printer and it shows SSID with the Netgear89 router.  i looked around and through the menu and reset the settings.  i dont know if it was just the Network or the WLAN or LAN or whatever.  i print the Network Configuration page again and now there are categories are missing from the report and there is nothing listed for the SSID...

ive gone through the manual, ive tried the troubleshooter process, ive cycled the power on the printer and the router and there's still no communicating between the printer and the router.

can someone give me some step by steps to get this fixed?  im starting to get some of that frustration that i really dont like...

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 AM

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:25 PM

#3 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 04 July 2017 - 09:44 PM

i havent got any option to change anything...

i can look at the device info, parental controls and edit DHCP reservation...

device info doesnt give me an option to change anything, the parental controls doesnt do anything but let me block people on the network from printing (which they cant do now) and the DHCP reservation shows the (and allows me to change) the IP address and the MAC Address...

doesnt show anything about the SSID or what the router name "inside" the printer is...

#4 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 01:28 AM

You will find that in the wireless settings on the router.

#5 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 05:19 AM

the router name in the "wireless" settings of the router is correct.

i dont know how to get into the printer to change the name, so the printer and router will talk...

#6 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 PM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 06:49 AM

If your printer is wired (as your original post) then it needs no setup to communicate with the router - just plug it in.

If you have q problem with wireless settings the manuals are all here:-

http://support.brother.com/g/b/manualtop.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2280dw_us

(Network User's Guide should tell you all you need to know)

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 05 July 2017 - 07:58 AM

When you say you are wired to the netgear, do you mean Ethernet or USB? I could not find your netgear router model but it may support readyshare. 

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/ReadySHARE_USB_Printer

#8 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:16 AM

If your printer is wired (as your original post) then it needs no setup to communicate with the router - just plug it in.

If you have q problem with wireless settings the manuals are all here:-
http://support.brother.com/g/b/manualtop.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2280dw_us

(Network User's Guide should tell you all you need to know)

When you say you are wired to the netgear, do you mean Ethernet or USB? I could not find your netgear router model but it may support readyshare. 

http://www.netgear.com/support/product/ReadySHARE_USB_Printer

i replaced a Netgear router with a Lynksis router...
i "just plug(ged) it in"
it is NOT communicating with my computer through the router.
i ran the WLAN report for the PRINTER and it said under the ssid NETGEAR89 which was my OLD router. im not trying to connect to the router wirelessly...

i am using a Cat5e ethernet cable, not USB

i see in the original post that i said i replaced the netgear router, but that i didnt say it was replaced with a Lynksis router

Edited by ltdave, 05 July 2017 - 09:21 AM.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:30 AM

Reset your printer network settings then use the guide rqt linked to.

http://support.brother.com/g/b/faqend.aspx?c=us_ot&lang=en&prod=hl2280dw_us&faqid=faq00000105_024

#10 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:35 AM

If the printer is connected to the router using a network cable & you are not attempting to connect to the printer wirelessly then any wireless network settings in the printer are totally irrelevant & are not causing your problem.

Have you tried reinstalling the printer driver since you changed the router? 

Edited by rqt, 05 July 2017 - 09:36 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:41 AM

From what I could gather from reading the link rqt posted, the cat5 cable is only to be used temporarily in order to setup your wifi settings. 

#12 rqt

rqt

• Members
  • 375 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:49 AM

"From what I could gather from reading the link rqt posted, the cat5 cable is only to be used temporarily in order to setup your wifi settings. "

All the wireless network printers I've used could be permanently connected to the network by cable (& generally with much less bother than when attempting to use the inbuilt wireless function). Presumably that also applies to this printer at it has apparently been used that way previously?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,642 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 12:09 PM

"From what I could gather from reading the link rqt posted, the cat5 cable is only to be used temporarily in order to setup your wifi settings. "

All the wireless network printers I've used could be permanently connected to the network by cable (& generally with much less bother than when attempting to use the inbuilt wireless function). Presumably that also applies to this printer at it has apparently been used that way previously?

rqt, I stand corrected. You are right that the printer can be permanently connected. Settings are shown on page 42 of the guide. 

#14 ltdave

ltdave
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 268 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:38 PM

okay, let me try and get caught up here!!!!

no i did NOT reinstall the printer driver after swapping the router.

i DID go through all of the reset steps but didnt have any luck.

yes, the printer was connected via Cat5e since its purchase about 3 years ago...

#15 jwoods301

jwoods301

• Members
  • 1,489 posts
  •  

Posted 05 July 2017 - 03:41 PM

Whether a printer is connected by wireless or by ethernet cable, the SSID only applies to the wireless connection.

Make sure the printer has a static IP address assigned to it in the router, which should be outside the range of the DHCP address pool.

For example, if the DHCP range is something like 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.199, static addresses should fall under 100 or over 199.

Edited by jwoods301, 05 July 2017 - 03:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users