Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IDE to AHCI Windows 10

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 AZMoosie

AZMoosie

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 17 December 2017 - 03:00 PM

Bleeping Tree Hugger, in your October 5th post you correctly advise that "Windows 8.1 and Windows 10 you can no longer boot into Safe Mode by tapping the F8 key."  Was the information following that advisory just an FYI, or do steps 2 & 7 in dhagerjohns post not address the boot into Safe Mode.  Just want to make sure before I attempt the transition to AHCI.

Thanks in advance.

dhagerjohns, on 04 Jul 2017 - 8:03 PM, said:snapback.png

1. Right-click the Windows Start Menu. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  2. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /set {current} safeboot minimal
  3. Restart the computer and enter BIOS Setup (the key to press varies between systems).
  4. Change the SATA Operation mode to AHCI from either IDE or RAID (again, the language varies).
  5. Save changes and exit Setup and Windows will automatically boot to Safe Mode.
  6. Right-click the Windows Start Menu once more. Choose Command Prompt (Admin).
  7. Type this command and press ENTER: bcdedit /deletevalue {current} safeboot
  8. Reboot once more and Windows will automatically start with AHCI drivers enabled.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#17 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:42 AM

Posted 18 December 2017 - 11:05 AM

The commands will probably work, but you are not going to be able to open the Command Prompt using the instructions provided.  The best way to open the Command Prompt (Admin) is to use the instructions I posted int post #14.  Right clicking on the Start menu doesn't do anything, I suspect that they were referring to the Quick Link Menu you get when you press the Windows key and the X key together.  Before the Authors fall update you could access the Command Prompt (Admin), but this has been replaced with the Powershell (Admin) which uses a different command to access the Command Prompt.

You didn't answer my question, did you press the F10 key after making the change in the BIOS to save those changes before exiting?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#18 Rougrak

Rougrak

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 27 December 2017 - 02:16 PM

Thanks guys, this worked for me perfect. I really was scared when I read in some forums, that a fresh new copy of Windows has to be installed. Thanks to this topic I managed to change the IDE to AHCI in about 20 minutes. 

I recap what I did:

Step 1

Win key + R key then wrote msconfig - in the boot tab I checked ''safe boot'', restarted the PC.

Step 2

Entered in BIOS where I switched from IDE to ACHI then restarted BIOS.

Step 3

Windows entered in safe mode, then I repeated ''step 1'' but unchecked this time ''safe boot''

I own a motherboard ASUS Rampage Extreme III, and a Kingston Hyper X drive. Thought this info might help also.

I also recommend to bench your new updated driver with the free SSD Benchmark. Just type: AS SSD on google and you'll find ''Alex Intelligent Software''. The cool thing is that in the upper left side of this program/application you'll see the description of your drive; if you see 2 green text lines all is good. If one of the lines is red then you still need to fix something with the driver. I'll attach a picture so you guys can see what I mean.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users