Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 101861

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 10:25 PM

hi everyone, I am a senior citizen, looking to buy my first computer, first I need to understand in plain english, what some of these words mean, have a hard time understanding some data , please help me translation some of the data into simple english, in newpaper ad, I found this data,
pavilion media centerm 757on desktop pc, featuring intel viliv technology, with an intel pentium d" processor 915 bundled with hp f1905e 19"lcd with analog and digital interface,
(2mb l2 cache 2.80ghz 800 mhz fsb)
windows xp media center edition 2005
2gb ddr2 ram(pc 4200) 320gb hard drive 7200rpm
16xdouble layer light scribe dvd+r/rw drive,
hp f1905e19"lcd , please translate in simple english thanks bobby101861

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Gyro

Gyro

• Members
  • 289 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 AM

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:13 PM

i can translate it as such, good computer :thumbsup:

Media center refers to the type of windows that is run, the processor is how fast the computer can computer, the 19'' shows how large your monitor is going to be (the screen). 2mb l2 cache refers to external memory... don't worry about it, 2.80 ghz refers to the processor speed. 2gb ddr2 basically says how many things you can run at once (like the word program a long with the internet, and a video game) the light scribe is the thing that reads and writes cd's and the dvd is the type of cd it can burn (keep this in mind if you want to burn cd's remember to get the dvd type) 320 gb hard drive says how much stuff you can put on your computer the 7200 shows how fast the hard drive can access it. Hope i made it easier :flowers:

#3 101861

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 September 2006 - 11:40 PM

thanks gyro, I think I understand a little bit better, what do I look for in a computer, when I going to buy one ,I play not to many games , thanks 101861

#4 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:38 AM

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:04 AM

What will the computer be used for?
Gaming?
What types of games?
Image editing?
Video editing?
Word processing?
The more information you can provide, the better we'll be able to help.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 101861

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 12:41 AM

tq1011 primarly for general stuff, I am not into games, I play very little games, I do family research & general surfing of the web, I don;t have much knowledge to get deep in the computer , hope that helps

#6 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 12 September 2006 - 07:48 AM

Sorry for not getting back to your question last night 101861, but we had a thunderstorm pop up, and I had to get off of the computer.

For basic internet surfing, E-mail, and such, I'd recommened an entry level computer from one of the better know manufacturers (Dell, Compac, etc.).
One with at least a 2.0 GHz P4 processor, and at least 512 MB of RAM (1 GB of RAM, if you can afford it).

If your not planning on doing any video editing, I'd recommend at least an 80GB harddrive (they're cheap).
If you plan on getting into video editing or digital photography in the near future, I'd suggest a 200 GB or larger, as these types of files can consume a lot of space on the harddrive.

For backing up your personal information, which should be done on a regular basis (I do it once or twice a month), I'd go with a DVD ± R/RW (also cheap nowadays).
This will allow you to read (watch) and burn (write to) either the "+", or "-" DVD formats.
These allow you to store up 4 GB of information on a disc, unless it's a dual-layer burner, which allows 8 GB of info.
You'll also be able to read and burn to CD's, which hold less information (700 MB), but are cheaper.

For a monitor, I'd go with at least a 17 or 19".
Makes web pages easier to read.

For an Operating System (OS), I'm partial to Windows XP Home Edition, but this is more of a personal decision.
Check out the different OS's, and see which best suits your needs.
If you don't mind a little steeper learning curve, you might want to try one of the Linux distros, which most of, can be obtained for free.

I'd also highly recommend that you invest in a UPS (Uninterruptible Power Supply).
This is a battery backup, that your system plugs into.
In case of a power outage, this will prevent damage to any files you are working on, or the fragile system Registry.
Look for one that comes with automatic system shutdown software included (most do nowadays).
In the event of a power outage, the software will close all of the files/programs you have open, then power down your computer, protecting your system.

A system like this, should allow you to do anything you have planned to do, plus allow you to expand on your computing projects in the future.

If you have any more questions, don't hesitate to ask.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 13 September 2006 - 04:42 AM

TG has cover almost all the bases. There are a few things you also may want to consider.

When you buy the computer most major manufacturers give you the option to purchase a copy of windows at the point of sale. This is a vary good idea. If for any reason you need to reinstall your OS you would have to order the disks anyways. I know with Dell (My personal favorite) it is a $10 option, and in my opinion well worth the money.

For me I prefer more than one hard drive. If you have a major "Oh My Gosh!" operating system crash or primary hard drive failure having your creative works, pictures, music, uninstalled downloads (This saves time o reinstalling programs), and\or business data can be a blessing. While you will have to reinstall all your programs this is easy enough done. If you loose you data it is possibly gone forever. This is a personal preference not something you cannot live without, but as TG pointed out hard drives are very cheap. Less than a $1 per GB. I would have a 80 Gb as my primary (C:\) drive and a 80+ Gb as a secondary drives to store my Data.

If you go with a UPS as suggested by TG, make sure it has RJ-11 (Telephone) and cable surge protectors. Even if you have to purchase a power strip to have that feature. All surge protectors are not created equal. By name brand. I personally will only by APC, but that is just me.

If you by a integrated computer, with the video chip-set made onto the motherboard buy the best chip-set they ofter. Integrated motherboards cannot, in most cases, be upgraded.

I like two DVD drives. One a burner like TG suggested and a second DVDrom so I do not have to load my disk onto my computer to copy a disk. It can be copied straight from one disk to the DVD±RW. This also frees up 4+ Gb of hard drive space.
One last thing. Please check with us before you purchase any of the software they will surely offer you. We will probably know a site that offers a freeware version.

I hope this helps.

Edited by acklan, 13 September 2006 - 04:43 AM.

"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#8 PC WizKid

PC WizKid

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 14 September 2006 - 05:44 AM

And get a computer from a big and well-known computer company such as Dell, HP, etc.
I love Windows Vista Ultimate

Windows 7 RC no more :cry:

#9 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 15 September 2006 - 03:20 PM

Amen.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#10 101861

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 12:09 AM

to all members, who responded to my message, I want to thank all of you for the advice you gave me, I will try to put it to good use, if I have any problems or questions, I will be back lol, thanks again, 101861

#11 multi-tasker

multi-tasker

• Members
  • 17 posts
  •  

Posted 16 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

welcome 101861, as a senior citizen, I am with you. Take care, and have a great day :thumbsup:
Growing older and smarter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users